To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Can't get remote connections (only local)

Hello

I hope someone can help me resolve this problem. I don't know enough about NAT, firewalls, etc to have a sense of what information to provide here to help someone guide me through a solution. I hope this is something people have previously encountered and can be fixed. I only know enough to say that I should have remote connections in addition to my local connections, and that this would increase my download speeds (which I desperately need! They are never higher than 15-18kbsec). Please help! Thanks

C

To help we need to know what modem or router you are using.

This is the thing that is connected between your computer and the wall.

Please state the make and model which should be listed on the bottom or the side of it.

Also what antivirus/firewall do you use on your computer?

To help we need to know what modem or router you are using.

This is the thing that is connected between your computer and the wall.

Please state the make and model which should be listed on the bottom or the side of it.

Also what antivirus/firewall do you use on your computer?

Hi,

i am from Hong Kong. I also seem to have the same kinda prob. I only have LOCAL CONNECTIONS AND NO REMOTE. To solve this prob i also read thru some of the threads in bc forum. After reading these threads, i came to know there are connections that have been blocked from my router. So, i need to configure my router. However, after this step i'm really lost. I do not know how to configure my router.

By the way, when i run IPCONFIG, I get this sort of msg:

"Connection-specific DNS Suffix :voip.hkcable.com.hk

IP Address ..............................:218.253.126.166

Subnet Mask ...........................:255.255.255.0

Default Gateway ......................:218.253.126.1"

I also tried to configure my router by inserting GATEWAY NUMBER in the browser address. But this step titles with "CANNOT FIND SERVER". However, i also visited the PORT FORWARDING website in this link http://portforward.com/routers.htm . But i could not find any router/modem similar to mine.

My router/modem is from the manufacturer: TERAYON

My router/modem model: TA-102

You may get more information abt my router/modem in this link http://www.terayon.com/tools/static_page/v...00&cat_id=9.3.3

So, please help me to get thru this prob. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you!

cheers,

edge

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Although it's not a common occurrence to have all 'Remote' connections, it is far from unique, as we have had reports of the same situation.

Don't worry, though, it just means that there are a lot more peers out there who want to trade with you, than there are to whom you must contact first ('Local' peers).