To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

"Can't Open torrent file: "C:\Program Files\Bit****\Torrents\0.torrent

There are no "0.torrent" or similar files. This happens with all my torrents, no matter where downloaded from (different sites, ect). This is a rather new OS (had to wipe and rebuild) and I have 6 downloads that are working right, it just "went weird" out of the blue.

I have looked at settings, registry, ect. Scanned for spyware, virii, et all - nothing. I noticed that others seem to have the same problem - but either the "thread" goes cold or there are no answers.

Lets try and solve this so others won't pull hair out like I am ... LOL

Thanks

SeanNether :wacko:

It's to do with permissions in Vista. Even though I am logged in as an Administrator account it is treatring me as a standard user. I have taken ownership of the Torrents folder and it's OK. I have also been advised to turn off UAC (User Account Control) but I haven't done that yet.

Hi robko

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Windows Vista systems, but do try and add BitComet to its exception list within firewalls, and yes if permissions to folders are required, you may need to either turn that User Account permission control feature off first.

It is a problem of user priviledge. Non-Administrators has no write access to Program Files by default. It is also possible that Administrators in Vista cannot write to Program Files folder because of User Account Control feature.

BitComet should not assume that Users have write access to Program Files, because Users are not always Administrators.

• 11 months later...

Hi all guys.

I had the same problem with Vista and torrents, and i solved it maybe in a silly way, but it works.

Re-install your client, changing the directory where you install it, instead of in the program files directory put it elsewhere.

It works.

sorry for my english...

Bye from Italy