To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

about http header User-Agent

katz

Why don't you make BitComet identify itself to the trackers as Bitcomet 0.** (where the stars are the version) instead of the current identification as BitTorrent ?

That would give people pre-awareness what client the people in the list are really using, because some clients as you know are incompatible with others. Or atleast the older versions and surprisingly many people don't update.

Or make an option to choose as which to identify?

I'm not quite sure how each one out of all tracker software sees BitComet, but trackers can ban BitComet separately from other clients; also I can clearly see "BitComet 0.xx" in my "Peers" there. Hence tracker can recognize BitComet and clients can see what their peers are using.

Why would BitTorrent software use disguise like all DirectConnect clients AFAIK (and I know a lot of them)?

Ahh... Just made some research on this point, and it looks like there are no strict standards for how to encode peer_id yet. And it looks like we need tracker software makers and client software makers to come to a common point of view aka standard...

Not that it's really annoying me, but it is a long way to go for programmers for sure :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In our version 0.70, you can see what client the people in the list are really using.You can download BitCOmet 0.70 to have a try.

I wasn't talking about the list in the program. I was talking about the HTTP headers that identify it in the trackers as Bittorrent instead of Bitcomet

atleast Dark_Shroud understood what I sayd.

I should have stated this before, but that started in version 0.61. On one of my favorite private sites I would see BitTorrent 3.4.2 in the .torrents stats page. Yet in the client I would see BitComet 0.6x.