To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

how do I know what is uploading?

Some newbie questions:

1. the Files category shows exactly what files are downloading and how complete they are. But if an upload is also going on, what is being sent? I can't see how to get details on this.

2. I have read the FAQ. Is there a site which gives more detailed discussion of the meaning of all the settings, and the pros & cons of various choices?

3. After download I want to move the files into other directories, as part of my normal filing and housekeeping practices. Does that prevent upload to peers who might want them?

4. Do tracking programs look at anything on my hard disc apart from previous torrent downloads?

Thanks

winterblue

Hi.

1. You can see what you've uploaded and downloaded by clicking at summary in detail window - this is sunwindow at bottom of BitComet window and scrolling down to find Total Downloaded / Total Uploaded fields.

UpLoad.jpg

2. Yes. In my signature you can find a lot of information about BitComet. I know that Bitdava (you can find him on this forum) has some links in his sig.

3. If you finish downloading keep your file as long as possible, at least you have uploaded 150% what you downloaded, so let say, if file has 1GB, upload 1.5GB. It make the torrent alive and you give lots of chances for another people to download 100% of file. If everyone delete files right after downloading it makes the torrent die and leads to the situation that nobody / no peer has 100% of file. It is Peer to Peer network so if none of them has 100% file they'll never download thw whole file.

Create folder where you can keep finished files longer and change in BitComet preferences default path for downloaded files. I am almost sure you can't move file to different folder until you finish downloading / uploading and you delete the task from BitComet.

4. No. Anything the trackers are looking for is infromation from torrent, where sources of the file are. BitComet keeps opening conection only for file, which is connected to particular torrent and consequently to particular tracker. This port which is opened for BitComet can be used in different purpose but if you have good firewall, which can filter that particular port can be used only by BitComet you don't have to worry about. If you don't have firewall, you probably are in troubles.

4. No, and you misunderstand. What a bittorrent client sends to the tracker is very rigidly defined and includes the info necessary to identify you, the amount you've uploaded for this torrent, the amount you've downloaded, and the amount still left. Nothing else. If the client sent anything else, the tracker wouldn't know what to do with it and would treat it as an error. All of this is fully described in the developers section at bittorrent.com

3. It is possible to move the torrent contents and re-start the upload by pointing to the new location, but it's not simple, and you need to know what you're doing. It's not terribly complex either, mind, but you do need to know what you're doing.

Hi there. There are some FAQs you've obviously missed. Let me point at these :)

the Files category shows exactly what files are downloading and how complete they are. But if an upload is also going on, what is being sent?

Read this section in Brian's BitTorrent FAQ. Check "Status" column in "Peers" section. "U"s and "u"s is what to look at.

Is there a site which gives more detailed discussion of the meaning of all the settings, and the pros & cons of various choices?

Yes, there is. Just look around, and you'll be surprised how much is there ;)

After download I want to move the files into other directories, as part of my normal filing and housekeeping practices. Does that prevent upload to peers who might want them?

Yes, it does. If you want to upload files from another place than you've downloaded them into, read here (substitute word "copy" there with word "move" to save disk space). Though I would advise you to choose download directory wisely for each task you're starting.

Do tracking programs look at anything on my hard disc apart from previous torrent downloads?

There is nothing to worry about. "Tracking programs" can get only what your client program (BitComet) sends them. Check BitTorrent protocol specifications for details to be sure (attention: these are scary %) )

Yes, it does. If you want to upload files from another place than you've downloaded them into, read here

Many thanks guys, specialy const2k :). I didn't know it is possible to move file during the task.

I appologise winterblue I misleaded you.

Regards.