To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Total Downloaded much more than Actual Downloaded

Hi there.

At first glance, your main problem is absence of seeds for this torrent. Though there is a huge amount of leechers for 0 seeds...

And there's something very wrong with your screenshot... Namely:

Total downloaded = 104 MB

Total uploaded = 108 MB

U/D Ratio = 0.5

Rubbish data = 0

Completed = 0.4% of 510 MB

(I just can't imagine "108/104=0.5" situation above)

Concerning these 3 MB (kluelos:510 MB - 507 MB = 3 MB):

This is not a normal situation. Only way I can think of getting such one is messing around with incomplete download (renaming/moving/changing download location etc.) Well, you'll have to find these 104MB somewhere within your system/external drive(-s); after this stop your task in BitComet, put found file(-s) in right path with right name and extension, hash-check the task and try resuming it.

kluelos: "Total Downloaded" HERE includes all incoming traffic (torrent data+DHT+ACKs+(possibly)peers'&tracker(-s) responses) for all sessions for selected task only. "Statistics" section has the same "Total Downloaded" that you speak of, but not "Summary" section (as in this case).

You want to look at that again, Const2k?

You're saying that what is, essentially, overhead and tracking for this torrent, that amounted to 104 megabytes of traffic, of which only 654 bytes (not kilobytes, bytes) was actual file data, and it's all for this one task? Which works out to 159K of overhead for each byte of useful data.

I don't think so. And you might want to look at the statistics section again: it does not report "total downloaded", only the rate and similar info.

Your ratio dilemma also goes away., because the u/d ratio for the one torrent isn't relevant to the totals for all torrents in the session.

Whilst we're doing math tutoring, let's try 510.39 - 504.89 = 2.50 MB

which makes 510.39 * .004 (% complete) =2.04MB a lot happier than 3.

And if you consider the limits of precision, 510.39 * .0049 comes out spot on at 2.5

Hi there.

Well, kluelos, it seems that we'll have to put an end to this right here...

You're saying that what is, essentially, overhead and tracking for this torrent, that amounted to 104 megabytes of traffic, of which only 654 bytes (not kilobytes, bytes) was actual file data, and it's all for this one task? Which works out to 159K of overhead for each byte of useful data.

Here we go again... "Total Downloaded" for "Summary" and for "Statistics" sections (yes, there are two of them ;) )are DIFFERENT ones. The former is for currently selected task, the latter is for all (ever existed and removed plus now present) tasks.

"Overhead and tracking" together are not more than 0.04% of all (incoming and outgoing) traffic, as you'll soon find out.

Commenting yooooz's first screenshot (note that "Summary" is selected there):

645 B and 2.05 kB are downloaded and uploaded (respectively) amounts of data for current session of selected task while "Total Downloaded" & "Total Uploaded" is sum of all sessions of selected task.

104.04 MB were "actual file data" plus "technical data" I described this night; BUT all this data HAS BEEN mysteriously GONE before task was finished; hence BitComet had to start downloading this task anew (from 0%) without erasing stats for it.

I don't think so. And you might want to look at the statistics section again: it does not report "total downloaded", only the rate and similar info.

It seemes to me that YOU haven't seen BitComet for some time... Let me show you that people may have more than 1 task at the same time:

Summ.GIF

BTW, 0.04% comes out of upper task - I'd got all its files from another source than BitTorrent, and when I've found .torrent for it and have decided to seed it, I'd already had 100%, so U/D Ratio for this task is computed as "Total Uploaded" / "Size" instead of what I'll tell below. Though I have 230.21 MB downloaded - and these are those 0.04% of "technical data" (well, 230.21MB is ~0.02% of 140.20GB, and I double these in case there are ACKs for both uploading and downloading).

...and let me show you that "Statistics" is for all tasks, nevermind which of them is currently selected:

Stat.GIF

Your ratio dilemma also goes away., because the u/d ratio for the one torrent isn't relevant to the totals for all torrents in the session.

"U/D Ratio" = "Total Uploaded" / "Total Downloaded" (in most, but not all, cases - one of exceptions is described above) for each separate task. "Totals for all torrents in the session" don't/doesn't exist in user-readable form in BitComet's GUI.

Whilst we're doing math tutoring, let's try 510.39 - 504.89 = 2.50 MB

which makes 510.39 * .004 (% complete) =2.04MB a lot happier than 3.

And if you consider the limits of precision, 510.39 * .0049 comes out spot on at 2.5

"510.39 - 504.89 = 2.50"... Fine then. I hope you aren't math teacher... (in case you're interested, 510.39 - 507.89 = 2.50, which very happily rounds to 3).

You see, I wouldn't bother myself answering your obviously wrong post 2nd time, but you are kluelos, and you have my respect for all the help you've made people here in the forum, so I think you should get some knowledge for this in return. And I'm glad to be of help...

(Guys, don't you think I'm too personal? ;) )

To fix this: yooooz, I'm glad you now have seeds. Earlier something wrong has happened either to your downloaded 104MB or to BitComet's knowledge of where they should be. That's why BitComet had to redownload them. As BitComet didn't nullify info on how much it up-/downloaded, you see it on your first screenshot along with ~0% completion of your task. This is only logical explanation I can think of. It seems to me you've already downloaded what you'd lost by now, don't bother yourself finding where these 104MB are. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't let your BitComet to be bothered while it downloads something for you. In other words, don't let anyone (and anything) touch your task & its files until you have 100% of them.

(Sorry, GTG - I won't let myself miss this semi-final :) )

Hi there,

but the 2nd screenshot shows the same result... Total downloaded=316.94, whee actual download=510.39-434.5=75.89... the difference is now 193.45mb... i don't quite understand where these 193.45mb is and y bitcomet is downloaded these files for nothing? if i continue my download, the difference would get bigger... any way to solve this. thanks.

(i woke up at 3am to watch the semis haha)

I too have this problem with almost all my torrent downloads though it's somewhat worse with bit comet. The actual data downloaded is always much less (even less than half in some cases) than the amount of total data downloaded as indicated by the client. Like, currently I'm getting a 1.35 gb file and the total data downloaded according to the client is 150mb while the percentage for the actual data downloaded is just 6%.