To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

something is wrong with my disk drive

My disk space, drive c, is running out of disk space.

First, there are a bubble pop-up saying that i need to do a disk clean up and i did that. Then couple of minutes later it said, my disk space only has 5% free space and then 2%.

I've removed and deleted all I can but still, the free space won't increase and i know that you can convert FAT32 to NTFS but I'm not sure if my system really needs to be converted.

I'm so confused right now and not sure if i convert from FAT32 to NTFS, will it harm my computer system? please help :mellow:

Assuming you're running XP or 2k, then converting to NTFS is a good idea and you should do it. It is almost always completely painless. It will also not greatly increase your disk space. You do need to have some free space in order to do it, though. CONVERT will let you know how much.

Uninstall stuff you never use. Look over your downloads and data files. (Take a moment to kick yourself for ignoring all that advice about organizing your hard disk, because now you've got to root through the whole thing.) If you've got a lot of data you don't need to have immediate access to, consider burning it off to a CD-ROM and deleting it, instead of storing on the hard disk. Get rid of those games you haven't touched in six months.

And finally, new, large hard disks are cheap. 600 GB for well under US$200 is easy to find. Get another drive.

It probably wont increase due to virtual memory using some of the space up. Eg, if you have 512mb of ram, then your computer will most like take up 1GB of hdd space for virtual memory. The only way to clear your hdd is to delete whole bunch of files. If you have a cd/dvd burner, burn all your files onto that that you want to keep and then delete them of your system. That shoudl do the trick.

Also, this might be a bit stupid, but it can happen, when you delete files of your pc, did you delete them permenatly, ie.. clear them away from the recycle bin. You have to do it to permenatly delete files of your computer.

I've removed and deleted all I can but still, the free space won't increase and i know that you can convert FAT32 to NTFS but I'm not sure if my system really needs to be converted.

I'm so confused right now and not sure if i convert from FAT32 to NTFS, will it harm my computer system? please help :mellow:

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS will gain you nothing in disk space. However, if you format your drive or use a utility to change the cluster size, you can set it to 512 bytes which should save you a good deal of space. Otherwise NTFS won't help you save space.

My disk space, drive c, is running out of disk space.

Yeah, this is very very wrong thing with your disk drive... And the best way to get rid of this problem is to ask in BitComet's support forum whether converting FAT32 to NTFS will give you more space...

Ah geez...

The only way to get more free space on your HDD is to wipe something that takes it off. If this still doesn't help consider yourself to be too greedy :) (jk), wipe everything off (aka format) and reinstall your OS. The LAST WAY to get more free space is to change filesystem. Especially if you don't know anything about this.

(Well, who in this world could give you an idea to post here? Or are you so smart all by yourself?)