To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problems with User Accounts and BitComet

As from my previous post, I have just (possibly stupidly) reinstalled windows XP Pro, now using SP2, and (apart from the problems in my other post) will allow me to download files.

However if I switch user accounts (I have set a seperate one up for my girlfriend) and use bitcomet, it'll start to download the torrent, sthen after 5-15 minutes I get the red cross next to the torrent and an error saying "can't read file c:\(directory)"

This never happened on my previous XP Pro SP1, and I used user accounts then.

We're both administrators, and I can actually click thourgh My Computer -> C:\ -> etc.... and see and open the downloads while in my gf's account. Any ideas?

The red X means BitComet can't write to the disk. Sometimes this is a hardware problem, but more often it's permissions. And as you've found, some admins are more equal than others.

BitComet's default download directory is in the C:\Program Files path, which Windows tries to "protect" like this. So get it out of that path, make your default something else so windows will quit helping you. I'd suggest you just make a C:\Bittorrent downloads" directory and use that.

However if I switch user accounts (I have set a seperate one up for my girlfriend) and use bitcomet, it'll start to download the torrent, sthen after 5-15 minutes I get the red cross next to the torrent and an error saying "can't read file c:\(directory)"

Some possible causes and their solutions are here.

Tell us what it was (when you find out).

It is possible to set/review permissions on XP Professional & NTFS file system.

If you do not have NTFS then permissions are not the problem here. To set permissions you should make sure "Use simple file sharing" is unticked in folder options. This will make the Security tab pop up in the properties dialog of files and folders. Here you can set or see permissions.

It is possible to set/review permissions on XP Professional & NTFS file system.

If you do not have NTFS then permissions are not the problem here. To set permissions you should make sure "Use simple file sharing" is unticked in folder options. This will make the Security tab pop up in the properties dialog of files and folders. Here you can set or see permissions.

Excellent, thankyou - just learnt something new about XP :D her account didn't appear in the permissions list, so I added it, and now all seems to be good, although had a big arse crash last night, so haven't had a chance to fully test it, but I'll be back if any more problems. Many thanks again.