To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Downloaded File Size More Than Progress

Hi, i'm using

Bitcomet 1.19

ADSL 1.0 mbps broadband internet connection

Aztech modem and Linksys 310N wireless router

Windows XP SP3 i have turned off my firewall and turned off my antivirus(ESET NOD32 antivirus)

you see for example i am downloading this 28GB torrent.

the download size area states that i have downloaded 31GB but yet my torrent is not finished, its in progress and finishing.

my question is, what is this extra 3GB of data i downloaded? it slows down the downloading overall.

another situation, i've started a new 4GB torrent download. my download speed is 170 kb/s. i have downloaded about 200 mb but the progress still shows 0.00%.

I've read the FAQ and i'm not too sure if this problem i'm facing is the "Rubbish Data" issue. please shed some light on this problem.

Thanks

If you've turned off your firewall, very likely you are infected and can no longer trust your system. Disinfecting should be your top priority. Once you get that done, remember never, ever to connect to the internet without a working firewall.

thanks for the reply :)

i have disinfected my computer and turned on the firewall.

but i'm still having the same problem. is there some problems with my settings? or his this phenomena normal?

btw i've done the port forward.

Well, you seem to be getting a lot of rubbish data from what I gather so far.

I'm not sure if you get that for every torrent you download, be it a new one or an old piece of stuff (2-3 years).

Try connecting your PC directly to the modem and download for a few days. If you stop getting so much garbage data, then you've found your culprit. If not, then this may be due to bad peers.

thanks for the reply :)

its kinda impossible for me to connect my pc straight to the modem due to the distance between my modem and pc.

but now you mentioned its rubbish data. i'll try the steps and the FAQ and see if it helps.

by the way could anybody provide any personal experience on how to reduce rubbish data?

I have had similar problems, but there's often no other way than to cart the pc and monitor to wherever the modem jack is, and connect it directly. You will have to do this to troubleshoot your connection, your ISP will insist on it or tell you they can't support you. Perhaps it isn't quite essential now, but sooner or later it will be.

Rubbish data is corrupted by passing through the network connections it finds on its way to you. In the days of telephone modems, this was simple line noise, and could be made worse by rain, etc. It's usually nobody's fault and it's very normal. This is why bittorrent has such a robust error detection scheme. If you happen to be in a situation where you can only get the data needed from a certain source, and that source passes through poor connections on its way to you, this happens. You may find yourself having to download a lot of rubbish data to get a clear copy.

Some routers do lazy network address translation -- this should be done only on headers, not on the entire packet, but some just don't bother to parse the packet. If part of the data stream happens to match an address they're translating -- even though it's not an address -- they'll translate it anyway, which means that packet is now invalid and will fail the hash comparision. One thing you can do is take your router out of the loop and see if you're now getting clean data. if so, your router was doing this and should be replaced. No telling when it is going to happen again.

Hello, thanks for sharing... I want to share my experiences with you about the internet speed test.. First of all you must get the internet speed test in here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ ... It is very clear to know our internet speed... Am also using this site for my net speed test.. Just you get accelarator for your slow net speed problem... Am also using the accelarator for that matter...

srikannan, what does the speed test have to do with dnumde's problem? I fail to see how it could be relevant to this particular thread.

Please do not jump into the middle of someone else's thread, unless you can apport something useful and relevant to that specific topic.