To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

If bitcomet could see when our pc became idle like screen protector downloads of chosen to start would be good . As a mouse or keyboard input has occured it would again set downloads to stop. That would make us our downloads start as we fall asleep infront of pc =)

Why would you want to become an unreliable peer within a swarm, stopping and starting over and over again? You'd only end up hurting yourself as well as the swarm... :huh:

Assuming that you are asking this because you have trouble using the internet while downloading, that can usually be solved without interrupting your downloads. You can also use two bandwidth allocation settings with the scheduler, one for times that you aren't using the internet for other reasons and one for times that you are. It might be nice to have a way to automatically move to the faster speeds when your screensaver turns on and I may suggest this to development next time we have a meeting, however the benefit would be moot if there was more than one computer sharing the connection because it could only tell if the one computer was idle. I've also experimented with QOS (quality of service) software that some routers have embedded in their firmware, it can give priority to certain types of protocols over others. I found this helpful when using torrenting and voice over IP phone on the same computer. I wanted my phone calls to have priority over all other traffic and it worked well for the phone, but I found that even when not using the phone the traffic shaping software still slowed the bittorrent traffic due to the time it took to discover what type of protocol it was and it resulted in me appearing as a slower peer and reduced overall performance so I eventually abandoned the QOS and manually paused the client when I wanted to use the phone. This is similar to what happens when your upload bandwidth is saturated and you end up being slow to reply to peer requests, the fastest peers assume you are too slow to be a worthwhile peer and you end up mated with slower peers. When the bittorrent protocol works efficiently you end up mated with peers of equal ability and get the maximum performance.