To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Help with shrinking file's on nero

RampageOC

Hello i am using 4.7gb dvd+r's and have downloaded some TV shows . Problem is i can only fit 2 on to a disk and it is a 24 episode tv show so gonna do me 12 disk's how do i do it so 3 episodes can fit on to 1 disk ? i seemed to change some setting so it fitted 3 episodes on it said quality will be good . were as when i had 2 episodes it was excellent . But when i come to put the disk in and pressed burn it said disk not large enough any one help ?

I work nero by going to make ur own dvd video - then go to arrange video files and add them . There is a thing at the bottom that shows how much space left on disk next to this u can change it .

dvd-8cm - quality average

dvd - good

dvd-9 excellent

I add 3 files then go to dvd and it says quality good and shows i have used 4.6gb on disk so then i decode it it saves it to a fiel i then go to file and it burns to disk but says not even space ?

any one help please

thanks

is there any way on nero i can just change the play speed of disk . Like at the min it letting me record 120mins how do i get it to longplay at like 180 mins ?

would this be easyer or would dvd shrink ?

also how does dvd shrink work does it take the ending credits of ? or what .

thanks

Digital video is nothing at all like analog tape, and you cannot change the playing speed, that's fixed. The concept doesn't work, and makes my head hurt a little.

DVD video uses a very old compression format, and one that is extremely inefficient by modern standards, so you are wasting a tremendous amount of disk space in doing what you are doing. The episodes you've downloaded have to be converted to the old form, which takes a long time and is just absurd all around.

Most newer DVD players, at well under $100, will support more modern compression, so this is probably a worthwhile investment for you. Get one that supports DVD+R and DivX. Then you should be able to burn the episodes as-is, just as if it were a data dvd that you were backing up files to, and the player should be able to handle it. (You'll be able to fit 12 or so episodes on one disk. Better, yes?)

This is true for most files encoded with DivX or XVid (which is most of them) in .avi containers. When in doubt, it never hurts to take such a disk along with you and see that it plays -- or buy from someone with an NQA money-back policy.

EDIT

I see from your similar thread on the general forum B) that you've already got such a player. Just burn the files in their current format as if to a data dvd, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply . So if i do it through data format will all the episodes fit on to a disk ?

thanks again people

ps the series im downloading i was going to buy of ebay thay have the whole 20 episode season on 4 disks how have thay done this ?

thanks again

So if i do it through data format will all the episodes fit on to a disk ?

How on earth would I know? 4.7 GB / Size per episode = # that will fit on one disk. If they're different sizes, it will take as many as it takes. You can probably get it on two disks in better quality doing it this way.

ps the series im downloading i was going to buy of ebay thay have the whole 20 episode season on 4 disks how have thay done this ?

If you know what you're doing with digital video, you can get the size down by compromising on video and audio quality, and still have something watchable -- though you'd probably hate it on HDTV. But it won't be any worse than typical VHS. If you want to know exactly how, you'll need to bone up on digital video, which should take all your free time for about six months. Filters, codecs, I-frames and B-frames, resolution, etc., etc.

Is it your intent to watch these TV episodes in your standalone DVD player or off your computer???

If you want to watch them on your computer or a laptop hooked up to a TV then its best to just make a data disc and you should be able to fit the whole season on 2 DVDs

If you want to watch these episodes on your standalone DVD player then you will likely only be able to fit at most 4 episodes with decent quality. To do this you need to use NeroVision Express.

In NeroVision choose Make DVD-Video then click on the More button and then click on Video Options

Goto the DVD-Video tab and there you can adjust the Quality setting, the options are similar to a VCR(standard play, long play, super long play, etc); pick whichever option you want and then import the video files and see how many you can fit. When your done adding the videos and making a menu and chapters then when it comes time to burn I suggest you burn to the harddrive first so you can play the resulting DVD on your computer to make sure the quality is to your satisfaction. When your satisfied with the quality then use regular Nero and make a DVD-Video and drag n drop all the files the DVD folder you made into the Nero's video_TS folder and then burn.

and drag n drop all the files the DVD folder you made into the Nero's video_TS folder and then burn.

What do u meen by this ? .

Also i followed what you said but instead of saving it to hardrive i just went and tried putting them on to disk right away it did the first thing it does before burning to disk . the saving to image or what ever it is and the decoding then it says after that had decoded and saved to image thing for about to hours that it is burning to disk then says completed i then go and put it in my dvd player says blank disk same when i put it in comp . So what i have to do is open the file i saved when burning it and then it says my 4.7gd disk is to small even when iv changed the setting to LONG PLAY .

also when i open folders and drag them in to nero the folders freze and then dont respond i then have to do alt cntl and delete and then retsart comp .

any one get this ?

thanks

Is it your intent to watch these TV episodes in your standalone DVD player or off your computer???

If you want to watch them on your computer or a laptop hooked up to a TV then its best to just make a data disc and you should be able to fit the whole season on 2 DVDs

If you want to watch these episodes on your standalone DVD player then you will likely only be able to fit at most 4 episodes with decent quality. To do this you need to use NeroVision Express.

In NeroVision choose Make DVD-Video then click on the More button and then click on Video Options

Goto the DVD-Video tab and there you can adjust the Quality setting, the options are similar to a VCR(standard play, long play, super long play, etc); pick whichever option you want and then import the video files and see how many you can fit. When your done adding the videos and making a menu and chapters then when it comes time to burn I suggest you burn to the harddrive first so you can play the resulting DVD on your computer to make sure the quality is to your satisfaction. When your satisfied with the quality then use regular Nero and make a DVD-Video and drag n drop all the files the DVD folder you made into the Nero's video_TS folder and then burn.

Hey , I followed your instructions and modified the setting's simalar to VCR setting's ''LP'' anyways got 3 episodes of a tv show ''OC'' dragged them on to the options for burner then went to write on to disk - it decoded then about 30 mins from time i got a message not enough space on disk ''even tho was a brand new disk with 4.7gb of space and only 3.8 used in the inital burn'' . Any help is appreciated

thanks

I suggest transcoding to a folder on your hard drive first before burning. Then you will be able to see exactly how big the resulting DVD is before you start burning it and you can check the quality. Sometimes Nero estimates wrong as to the final size of the transcoded DVD.

Thats quite a difference, maybe try a lower bitrate(Super Long Play)

or you can use Nero Recode(or DVD Shrink) on that 6.2GB DVD folder.

EDIT:

My dvd player plays divx movies
Disregard everything I have told you. If your DVD player really plays divx .avis then you might as well just make a Data DVD instead of using DVD-Video. This way you should be able to fit the whole season on 2 DVDs and not have to wait for any conversion.

Are you sure your DVD player plays .avi??? What DVD-Player do you have???

Hey . I mad a data disk and when i put the disk in to the dvd player read no disk . So nope it dont play them :( i had a dvd i borrowed of a mate and that was a divx movie well had the logo on the screen . On the Nero Recode what part of nero do i go to - to find this feature cause doing it in super long play im worried what the quality will be like . also i have Combined comunity codec pack can i delete this if i have nero ? . The help is appreciated thanks .

CCCP has nothing to do with Nero, there is no need to delete it.

Nero Recode can be found under

Start -> All Programs -> Nero -> Nero Digital

With Nero Recode just import the Video_TS folder you created with NeroVision Express

and make sure "fit to target" DVD-5 is checked.

All this hassle of transcoding and reencoding can be avoided if you have about $50-$60 US

which will get you a nice standalone Divx player like this one

Although that is an older one it still can play most divx/xvid videos

There are many others to choose from some as cheap as $40 but you get what you pay for.

You can find a good listing of all of them here

Make sure if you get one that its firmware is upgradeable and it is regularly updated

Here is a company that specializes in divx players -> KISS

CCCP has nothing to do with Nero, there is no need to delete it.

Nero Recode can be found under

Start -> All Programs -> Nero -> Nero Digital

With Nero Recode just import the Video_TS folder you created with NeroVision Express

and make sure "fit to target" DVD-5 is checked.

All this hassle of transcoding and reencoding can be avoided if you have about $50-$60 US

which will get you a nice standalone Divx player like this one

Although that is an older one it still can play most divx/xvid videos

There are many others to choose from some as cheap as $40 but you get what you pay for.

You can find a good listing of all of them here

Make sure if you get one that its firmware is upgradeable and it is regularly updated

Here is a company that specializes in divx players -> KISS

Nero digital dont seem to be in nero options . wat version of nero is this as i might have an old version im sure its nero 7 though . Them dvd players look good im going to get one for my self to watch my films on and make my recording easyer but this OC set is for my sister .

thanks

Sorry Im using Nero 6 still which works for everything I need.

I've heard bad things about Nero 7 so I hesitant to upgrade.

If you cant find Nero Recode(it might be called something else now) you could just use DVD Shrink which was written by the same guy who helped make Nero Recode.

Found it thanks to both .

Dont get nero 7 folder's freeze and so on . When i get in to the next town where i get my comp stuff i will be getting nero 6 what version of 6 have you got ?

britdave will this what u said work even if i dont copy to folder on long play ?

and make sure "fit to target" DVD-5 is checked

Dont worry about getting Nero 6 since you already have 7

Im not sure I understand your question.

Nero Recode has limits to how much it can compress, though I dont know what they are, Im pretty certain you cant compress more than about (4) 1 hour episodes onto a single DVD and still have semi-decent quality

Im curious were you using NeroVision Express earlier when you made that 6.2GB DVD???

When i made the 6.2GB dvd i put 3 episodes of the OC in to nero vision to burn to disk on long play . Disk drive opend and said not enough space on disk please insert disk with enough space i put new disk in even though before said i had used only 4.2GB of space enough of fit on disk , so i put new disk in and said disk size was 4.7BG but needed 6.2GB of space so seems the LP feature didnt work .

Now i went back and did all this again but this time saved to Hardrive then got the TS_FOLDER and went to nero recode i then selected recode dvd's and videos to nero digital selected the option fit to disk size and selected dvd-5 4.7GB and then selected burn . Then about 2 hours latter said completed was done o went to play in my standalone dvd player and it wouldnt play but will play in my pc also theres an error on the disk people lips move on it but u cant hear them speak then about 5 seconds latter u will hear what thay say .

this s*** confusing lol

Yes this can be a confusing and frustrating process and there are many many different ways to go about it.

If Nero isnt working right then you might want to try another program like ConvertXToDVD or DVDSanta,

look for a torrent of these so you can try them out.

And if everything you try still gives you audio sync issues then you might want to download the program VirtualDubMod to repackage the avis.

I could go on and on about this but instead let me direct you http://www.videohelp.com/ where there are tons of guides for what you want to do.

EDIT: Here's their Nero guide http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/125/59/

as you can see from the comments at the end many people have problems with audio sync

ConvertXToDVD or DVDSanta

Do these 2 do a job same of that as nero ? . Heard about them before might give them a try .

On update of nero .

I transcoded and burned to hardrive then i went to nero digial and it seemed to shrink the file now it was saved to a TS_FOLDER i then put a disk in and burned on the nero digital fit to size when i tried importing the TS_FOLDERsaid it wasnt dvd compatible so i opend the TSFOLDER and it had loads of windows media files in not just my 3 episodes it was like thay was shrinked in to loads of different files when i added these and burned it and played it on my dvd player it had no sound and the menu at the begining didnt have opetions for the 3 episodes of OC but loads of broken down episodes . Did i do it right ? lol

thanks .