To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet crash (1.11, 1.12, 1.13)

My bitcomet downloads fine for a 2-3 hours and then crashes. This has been happening every night for the last 2 weeks without fail. I have been a user of bitcomet for over a year and this is the first time I have ever had problems of any kind. The problems only occurs when downloading. I don't have more than 4 download tasks running at any instance. My current BC version is 1.13. I upgraded from 1.12 after BC crashed for the 1st time two weeks back. Now I have gone back to 1.12 and then to 1.11 but its futile and it still crashes after 2-3 hours. But 1.11 and 1.12 used to work fine for me earlier.

My Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHZ processor.

I have also turned off all unnecessary services and startup programs following advice in some other posts. I have run a virus scan and cleaned the registry with CCleaner too. But to no avail thus far. Here is the crash report I am getting after BC crashes:

==================================================================

BitComet caused a Microsoft C++ Exception (0xe06d7363)

in module KERNEL32.dll at 001b:7c59bbf3.

Exception handler called in.

Error occurred at 18/07/2009 05:17:34.

F:\BitComet\BitComet.exe, run by Lager.

Operating system: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (6.0.6002).

2 processor(s)

56% memory in use.

3072 MBytes physical memory.

1351 MBytes physical memory free.

4608 MBytes paging file.

4765 MBytes paging file free.

2048 MBytes user address space.

1805 MBytes user address space free.

Context:

EDI: 0x0012fa40 ESI: 0x0012fab0 EAX: 0x0012fa20

EBX: 0x00000032 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x05c54020

EIP: 0x7c59bbf3 EBP: 0x0012fa70 SegCs: 0x0000001b

EFlags: 0x00000206 ESP: 0x0012fa18 SegSs: 0x00000023

Bytes at CS:EIP:

5f 5e c9 c2 10 00 8b 4c 24 04 a1 f0 a1 5c 7c 89

====================================================================

Please give me a solution short of having to run system recovery.

Thank You.

• Like 1

Please don't post duplicate questions in a forum. Once is sufficient.

The error code comes from the compiler, and is just a generic error message. It indicates an unhandled exception. That means that it's not a diagnostically useful message -- the "code" is ascii for M S C, the Visual C++ compiler. It isn't indicating anything that might be fixable by the user.

In practical terms, you said that you'd been using BC for a year, but your problems started two weeks ago. You need to be looking at what changed on your system and environment around that time. Did you update drivers? Install a new service pack? New hardware? New anti-malware? What changed?

Edited by kluelos (see edit history)

Yes, I update whenever M$ releases new updates happens to be rather frequently. Upgraded to Service Pack 2 a month ago. No new hardware added. Have been using BitDefender Internet Security for 2 years and no new anti-malware added.

After 2 weeks of headache, I managed to solve the problem. My clue was the exception at "Kernel32.dll" as mentioned in the crash log. Since other apps use it too, I thought some background apps might be the cause. Turned out that "Laptop Battery Doubler" from Dachshund Softwares was the troublemaker app. Got rid of that, uninstalled BC 1.13 and installed 1.10 and its been running fine all day since yesterday. Incidentally, that application (I installed recently) was the only app I added to the system tray in the last 1 year. I usually only keep the Antivirus, Sound Manager, Sidebar and HP quick launch for startup and turn off everything else.

Since I didn't try out BC 1.11, 1.12, 1.13 after getting rid of that app, I can't say for sure whether they were really buggy. But I am glad I stuck it out with BitComet as its my favorite. Anyway thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Good bit of information about the "battery doubler" software. What it probably does is try to shut down things to conserve power, and many powersaving features are known to conflict with p2p programs.

If you want to test new versions without installing them, you can download the .zip (stand alone) versions. You can extract the .zip and run them by starting the .exe that matches your windows version. Don't try to run more than one at a time, and if you like a version, I'd recommend installing it.