To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problems with audio x BitComet

Hello,

I'm having problems with my audio when v 1:10 BitComet is running. When loading the Media Player, Skype, games or any program that has 'audio' the sound is distorted,'robotic' and application is locking. When turning off the BitComet back to normal ...

Somebody help me?

My configuration:

- OS Vista Ultimate 32x SP1 (updated)

- 4 Gb RAM

- HT 3 GHz Pentium CPU

- Geforce 7600GT 256 Mb RAM VGA

- Kaspersky IS 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same issue - with both Vista (SP 1 and 2) and Windows 7 RTM for all versions of Bit Comet from 0.7 upwards.

Its been driving me insane for weeks and its only in the past few days where I realised that the sound problems vanished once I closed down Bit Comet. Reopening it is fine too - its just when I leave the machine for a few hours while BC is running.

My system spec is below - have all the latest drivers but the problem is occuring with older drivers too.

Processor (CPU) INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6700 (2 X 2.66GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache

Memory (RAM) 4096 MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (4x1GB)

Motherboard ASUS® P5N32-E SLI PLUS: Quad Core/Quad SLI, SATA RAID, 2 PCI

Graphics Card 768MB GEFORCE 8800GTX PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT

Sound Card 8 Channel SupremeFX High Definition Audio (P5N32-E SLI & STRIKER)

Thanks

Keith

Hi,

I don't have any answers for you at the moment, but your report could be helpful. Can you please post describe the sound card in your system, and if it is an actually audio device, or integrated audio on your system board.

Also, does this problem occur always, or only when the system is low on resources?

Hi,

I don't have any answers for you at the moment, but your report could be helpful. Can you please post describe the sound card in your system, and if it is an actually audio device, or integrated audio on your system board.

Also, does this problem occur always, or only when the system is low on resources?

For me it only occurs if the system is left for a few hours - say overnight. I've noticed that Bit Comet seems to eat up more cpu memory the longer I leave it running.

This sounds like a memory "leak" - where a process asks for a memory allocation, uses it, never releases it, then asks for another allocation in the belief that it released the previous one. Thus it ever grows until it runs out of room to grow, interfereing with other processes. Is BitComet the cause? Difficult to say, because it may simply be an early victim.

I would try a different sound card or system. This depends on the ability to shut off the on-board sound system, but this ought to be an available option in the mainboard BIOS. It might be hidden, so you may need to ask the manufacturer's support line. An alternative sound card should be pretty cheap. Creative makes one that hooks into a USB port, for laptops, but I don't know what it costs now. What you want is a different sound card driver from a different company. If you can borrow one, that would work too. I suspect the memory leak is in the sound software. (IF you haven't updated the sound drivers in all this time, do it now. But with those OS changes, you must have.)

(Or, if you have noticed any other symptom besides the sound, you can simply disable the sound system for this test and see if that other symptom goes away.)

We don't have widespread reports of memory leaks in BitComet, which we probably would if BC were the source. Nevertheless, if a change of sound card doesn't work, try doing a complete uninstall of BitComet (delete the program directory, reboot, clean the registry, reboot, reinstall BitComet) to see if that helps.

If it still doesn't, try another bittorrent client to see if that makes a difference.