Jump to content
Comet Forums
snmememe

1.14 Scheduler dysfunctional

Recommended Posts

BitComet 1.14 ADSL2 Billion 7404VNPX UPnP WinXP AVGFree 8.5

I have observed that attempts to exercise time based control of up or down bandwidth use via the scheduler produced no noticable change in rate behaviour.

The rates still apparently followed the settings appearing in the first Connection option dialog.

Curiously, in an experiment to use a "turn off" period in the scheduler did result in tasks becoming stopped and restarted upon applying such changes.

Also in a cursory test, the onset of a "turn off" period did trigger as expected, correlated with the system clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BitComet 1.14 ADSL2 Billion 7404VNPX UPnP WinXP AVGFree 8.5

I have observed that attempts to exercise time based control of up or down bandwidth use via the scheduler produced no noticable change in rate behaviour.

snmememe, have you limit the upload and download rate in "Scheduler settings"(Options->Advanced-> Scheduler)? If you keep the default settings, that is, keeping all rate as unlimited, then the rate will not have obvious changes, or other words, it will make no difference between high speed and low speed.

post-53661-125057884057.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

snmememe, have you limit the upload and download rate in "Scheduler settings"(Options->Advanced-> Scheduler)? If you keep the default settings, that is, keeping all rate as unlimited, then the rate will not have obvious changes, or other words, it will make no difference between high speed and low speed.

I am familiar with using that dialog from prior versions.

My settings were not default, but quite deliberately set, and further altered, with no attendant change in observed rates.

For example, from near idle conditions, after Applying scheduler up and down limits of 10KBps, within a few seconds of starting a torrent the observed rate was about 100KBps in both directions, and continuing thus, which corresponded to the connection dialog settings with the scheduler disabled.

I emphasised "continuing" above because I have been aware in past versions of mystifying rate behaviour upon attempting to alter settings in this area, as if the desired rate didn't take effect for quite some time, or perhaps didn't work if I pressed OK without first pressing "Apply", but I haven't attempted to clarify this.

Are you finding that under 1.14 the scheduler rate settings do have affect for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Since this has worked for you in previous versions, lets do some basic things to make sure you don't have some old configuration files that don't like the new version of BitComet.

Please record all your preferences and uninstall BitComet. I then want you do delete the bitcomet folder in your "program files" folder, and if your using a windows version that supports user account controls, you'll need to make sure the configuration files are deleted form the folder that stores them. For example, in Vista this will be (default location)

c:\users\*your name*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BitComet

(running a good registry cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea at this point)

Now that BitComet and all configuration files have been removed, you can install the latest version and set your preferences, then test to see if the scheduler works as it has in the past. I have tested the scheduler in 1.14, but only very basically, I haven't had the time necessary to monitor it for hours/days with active tasks running, but it seems to work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this has worked for you in previous versions, lets do some basic things to make sure you don't have some old configuration files that don't like the new version of BitComet.

In response to your recommendation for a uninstall/reinstall...

I broke my system volume RAID mirror, again confirmed the scheduler uncontrolled rate behaviour, uninstalled, rmdir/s D:\program files\bitcomet, reinstalled.

Again I quickly observed that setting all scheduler rates something like 10KBps, shortly after starting a task the rates were significantly higher, for example 45 down 90 up.

I repeated the uninstall and reinstall starting from C: rather than D: with similar results.

From your description and fishing about I observe that the bitcomet.exe is not requestedExecutionLevel level=asInvoker, relying on settings in the installed directory file bitcomet.xml. However I am using a pre Vista system and therefore the Vista virtualization hazards don't arise.

Something else:

During this process I was able to confirm another issue, which perhaps doesn't deserve another forum thread.

Starting with all the scheduler rate settings unlimited, if I assign "High speed download limit" value 4, I then observe the new element in bitcomet.xml: <SchedulerDownloadLimitLow>4096</SchedulerDownloadLimitLow>.

Then after opening the scheduler dialog again, I find instead "Low speed download limit" has value 4.

A similar muddle is observed when assigning to "High speed upload limit" with the value 6, turning up the element <SchedulerUpdateLimitLow>6144</SchedulerUpdateLimitLow>, then upon scheduler dialog reopen the value shows in field "Low speed upload limit".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...