To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet has stopped

Hullo Guys,

Can anyone please advise me on why my BitComet has slowed to a stop?

I am using BitComet v 1.14 on Windows XP

I have a Virgin Media cable connection which gives a supposed 10Mb download speed. (Today it seems to be going at 9.8 kbps download and 213 kbps upload)

I am using a Netgear Router WGR614v9. I have not forwarded the port but relied on the UPnP thingy. Also, at the bottom of the BitComet page, both the DHT and the WAN are showing as connected. (DHT:1411 and WAN:82.XX.XX.XXX.49155.)

I am logged in as PeterV1066.

I am using Norton Firewall and have ensured that BitComet has permission to access on any port. I am using Norton Antivirus which is up to date.

The "Statistics Page" reads as follows;-

Overall Tasks: Total:13 / Running: 1

TCP Connections: Established: 4 [MAX:Unlimited] / Half-Open: 6 [MAX:10]

LAN IP: 192.168.1.2

WAN IP: 82.XX.XX.XXX

Listen Port of TCP: 49155 (Opened in Firewall/Router)

Listen Port of UDP: 49155 (Opened in Firewall/Router)

Windows Firewall: Added [TCP opened, UDP opened]

NAT port mapping: Added

Overall Download Rate: 0 kB/s [MAX:Unlimited] Max Connection Limits: 50 per task

Overall Upload Rate: 1 kB/s [MAX:27] LT Seeding: 0 kB/s [MAX:21] All BT Upload Slots: 1

Free Phys Mem: 1 GB (Min to keep: 3999 MB)

Disk Cache Size: 420 MB (Min: 1536 MB, Max: 1536 MB)

Disk Read Statistics: Request: 309 (freq: 0.1/s), Actual Disk Read: 102 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 66.9%

Disk Write Statistics: Request: 57 (freq: 0.0/s), Actual Disk Write: 10 (freq: 0.0/s), Hit Ratio: 82.4%

Total Downloaded: 190.22 GB

Total Uploaded: 32.21 GB

I hope I have remembered to include all the technical stuff.

My question is this. Why has it all come to a stop? Up until about a week ago,all my downloads were humming along. Then it slowed to a crawl and now it has, to all intents and purposes, just stopped.

The downloads all seem healthy with plenty of seed and peers. (One is marked, in the seed/peer column as 1/3(3/763). I tried downloading a torrent with over 2000 seeds just to see if it would whiz through, but, like all the other torrents, it didn't do anything.

Can anyone advise me. Do I need to Port Forward given that both DHT and WAN are showing green?

Thank you for your help.

Peter

Edited by cassie
IP address hidden for privacy reasons (see edit history)

Hi!

1)10Mb/s = 1280KB/s (8bits=1Byte)

2)For your own security, never post your wan ip address and forwarded port on a public forum.

3)Your ratio is dead low. If you don't seed back what you've downloaded that torrent will die.

4) It's because of those who don't seed that all the public torrents are slow. You can't do anything about that but you can make sure it doesn't happen to somebody else.

5) 1/3(3/763) = 1connected seed/3connected leeches[a total of 3 seeds/a total of 763 leeches] If you don't have the pieces to trade other leeches won't be interested in connecting with you, also if it takes you too much time to respond to a request that peer will connect to somebody else in the meantime so you'll need to limit your global maximum upload rate to 70% of your tested upload speed and the maximum upload rate for long-time seeding to 10% of your tested upload speed.

Cheers!:)

i am facing same problem as TS ... a week ago everything grinded to a halt

i am downloading only 5 torrents, and very very common ones

but it doesnt connect to the peers

the two blue arrows appear..please help

xp sp3 is running

speedstream 6520 router dsl connection

@ dubaiboy: It's kind of rude to post in someone else's topic unless you say something to help him or have the exact same problem. And, moreover, it's almost a certain recipe for having the other people ignore your request. Start a new topic instead.

@ PeterV1066: You actually are a welcome exception from the majority of those who post for help, meaning that you did supply a wealth of details. :D

Just to be on the safe side: Did you test the 2000 seeds torrent with all the other tasks (uploading and downloading) stopped? For the sake of testing it should be that way, because many times an uploading speed divided among too many tasks can lead to the kind of problem you're experiencing, too.

If you did the above, and also haven't changed any other settings in Bitcomet since the dl speed went down then it must be something else. You might consider even being throttled by your ISP.

You've only got three connections out of seven hundred in the swarm. This, all by itself, is why your speed is so low.

The question now is, why you have so very few connections. The answer may be that you look like a poor trade partner, but this would result in very few trades -- not few connections as such. In other words, peers in the swarm would connect to you, but then they'd almost all choke you as a peer they're not interested in. You'd have a lot of connections, all disinterested or choked.

This can happen if you're a really lousy partner -- say, you've set your upload speed to as close to nothing as it will go, and you've been in the swarm for quite a while, so every peer has tried and rejected you, enough time has passed that most of them have dropped you.

But it can also happen with a torrent that's faked. In a case like that, those peers don't actually exist - they're just phantoms reported to the tracker by a botnet or suchlike and you'll never be able to connect to any of them. A faked torrent appears to be OK, with seeds and peers, yet it never seems to progress and there are very few connections. Mostly the connections you do get are other people just like you who tried this torrent and are waiting for something to happen. It never will, and the hope is that you will give up in disgust. You get fake torrents like this most often with new movies or albums.

These are hard to detect, being just an observed pattern of behaviour from outside, from which they can be inferred.

Your particular problem could be a combination of both. You need to make sure that you yourself are an attractive trade partner. Then when you run across an apparent fake, you can just dismiss it.