To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Burned ISO image, still no go

mozzer

I've tried Easy DVD burner and Alcohol 120% to burn an image, still all I get is an *.ISO file which the PC will not read. Does this mean there is a problem with the download, what should I see on the disk after burning ? .

Sorry this is my first attempt with Torrents but I have read all the FAQs, I think.

(Moved to general discussion, nothing to do with BitComet. - mod)

Those programs have done what you asked them to do -- produced a disk image. There are several types of image file, but .iso is probably the most universally accepted and understood.

If you don't want an image like an .iso, you must want something else. What, specifically? I believe you're making several invalid assumptions, but can only guess at what you're really trying to accomplish.

In any case, once the torrent contents are complete and verified, BitComet has done its part. All that remains is to seed the torrent. Transcoding files or burning them to optical disk is not BitComet's function.

Have you tried to mount it as a virtual drive?

.iso files are not made to be burned as a file, but as an image. In alcohol you have the option "Image Burning Wizard" in the left panel.

Also ISO can be considered an archive by WinRar and you can extract it as any usual archive (.rar .zip etc.).

I was not suggesting BitComet had not performed it's function, just looking for general advice on how the software downloaded as an ISO would usually be installed on a PC, guess I'll find somewhere else to ask such a dumb question. :rolleyes:

Those programs have done what you asked them to do -- produced a disk image. There are several types of image file, but .iso is probably the most universally accepted and understood.

If you don't want an image like an .iso, you must want something else. What, specifically? I believe you're making several invalid assumptions, but can only guess at what you're really trying to accomplish.

In any case, once the torrent contents are complete and verified, BitComet has done its part. All that remains is to seed the torrent. Transcoding files or burning them to optical disk is not BitComet's function.

Yes, I tried to mount as a virtual drive and also use the image burning wizard, which did it's thing but I'm still left with a disc with the same file name and ISO extension.

Having not done this before I don't know what I should be seeing after the image burning, do I need some other software to read the image or should the CD show normal files like after an unzip ??

I'll try winrar in the meantime.

Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried to mount it as a virtual drive?

.iso files are not made to be burned as a file, but as an image. In alcohol you have the option "Image Burning Wizard" in the left panel.

Also ISO can be considered an archive by WinRar and you can extract it as any usual archive (.rar .zip etc.).

Can you please explain how exactly did you mount the image as a virtual drive (step by step)? :) after you do that (if you do it right) you'll see a new drive in the "My Computer" folder named as the image or that has a name related to it (for example "imagename (F:)")

quote name='Vasy' date='04 September 2009 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1252097188' post='46784']

Can you please explain how exactly did you mount the image as a virtual drive (step by step)? :) after you do that (if you do it right) you'll see a new drive in the "My Computer" folder named as the image or that has a name related to it (for example "imagename (F:)")

I created the virtual drive, cannot find whose guide I used now but I have a virtual drive F which shows 'media present' and the ISO file location.

What does this do for me though ? Does it need extracting in some way ?

I am hopefully attaching a screen shot.

post-54116-125217239364.jpg[

Ah. You want to use the disk image and not transcode it, then? It does help if you state clearly, what it is that you are trying to do.

In this case, you do not need to burn the image to optical disk. You simply want the image file to exist somewhere that you can find, on your hard disk. Make this so. If you already burned it and erased/never had the image on disk, then just copy the .iso file from the cd or dvd, to hard disk.

You should use Alcohol 120%'s virtual drive menu to mount that disk image file on your hard disk, in the new virtual drive. This is the electronic equivalent of putting a physical disk in a physical drive.

Use the Virtual Drives menu to create at least one virtual drive, if you didn't elect to do that when you installed Alchohol. That should get you to the images list. You will need to add your new image to the list, so right-click on a blank space in the image pane and select "add images". Navigate to where you put the .iso, select and add it.

Now right-click on the image name in the list, and select "mount on device" and pick the virtual drive you want to mount it on.

Once you have mounted it, you can access the virtual drive exactly as you would a physical drive. Drive F will be present in Windows Explorer, and it will have the content of the disk image that was loaded. If this is software, you can install it from Drive F:. If it is data, you can copy it from drive F:, or just use it from there without copying. The one thing you cannot do is change it -- you can't add or delete files from the virtual drive, because that would involve changing the underlying image.

You need different software and a different approach, to do that.

When you have mounted the image into the virtual drive, you may have options to select about what you want it to do in the future. If you want the virtual drive itself to still be there next time you reboot, then your virtual drive software has to be set to start automatically. If you want the disk image you just loaded to be available too, then you must tell the disk software to automatically mount the image.

You can use Alcohol 120%'s virtual drive feature without using any other feature. You can change to other virtual-drive software, like Daemon Tools. You probably should avoid running two at once, because this can get very confusing. ("Drive H. Now, is that Alcohol's virtual drive, or DT's?")

Let's not forget that you can always burn that iso image into a disk (CD/DVD) that will be an exact replica of the original disk from which it was made in the first place. You just have to choose the right option in the burning software that will burn on the disk (CD/DVD) the ISO file system comprised inside the iso image, otherwise you'll end up with a iso file on the physical disk (CD/DVD) - as you already did - which is not the best way to go.