To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BC kills my internet dead

JT!

1) What version of BitComet are you using? 1.14

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)? Cable, 5mb down 0.5mb up.

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What model? Have you forwarded your port? Yes, Yes, Motorola router modem in one (i'm so green). No.

4) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? Windows Vista, Windows firewall, AVG.

6) For speed-related issues, please run various speed tests at a site such as speedtest.net (make sure that no other computer is using your Internet connection and that all other programs - including BitComet - are closed, during the tests). Include the results, along with the settings that you are presently using, in your post, so that we may review and offer suggestions to improve its performance. Speed tests are always perfect.

Ok, basically whenever I use bit comet, my internet becomes unusable, web pages come back as not found, and if they do open up half of the stuff doesn't load, my upload rate is capped at a reasonable amount, and when i close bit comet, everything is fine. This has only been happening since I upgraded it a few weeks ago to a new release.

2nd question is about priority, i'm downloading something that has 24 parts, so i go into the place where it automatically selects the first part as high priority, and when that's done, moves onto the 2nd, and the then 3rd etc. What I found is that the 1st file wasn't downloading quicker than any other files, and when i disabled all the other parts, the first part downloaded within an hour. It had been ran at high priority for a full day before hand. How come the priority thing doesn't work?

Hi! you are not clear, you said that you have green light but your port is not forwarded, witch is true? Please include the exact model name of the modem/router if you want help on that one.

Also what exactly is your tested max upload speed and what do you mean by "set to a reasonable amount"?

That refers to the priority of the FOUND pieces if there are no connected peers having those pieces then it will go to the next piece in line and so on, this might slow down downloading of the torrent as a whole.

Cheers!

Hi! you are not clear, you said that you have green light but your port is not forwarded, witch is true? Please include the exact model name of the modem/router if you want help on that one.

Also what exactly is your tested max upload speed and what do you mean by "set to a reasonable amount"?

That refers to the priority of the FOUND pieces if there are no connected peers having those pieces then it will go to the next piece in line and so on, this might slow down downloading of the torrent as a whole.

Cheers!

The green comment was about how I was saving electricity by having the modem and router in one. I was slightly drunk when i posted this and thought i was being funny. I didn't think it would be a router / modem issue due to it working fine a few weeks ago.

My max upload speed is around 60kB/sec, however i cap it at 10kB/sec

I don't really understand what you mean by 'pieces'... and 'found'. My interpretation of the priority system is so that you can tell bitcomet to try download a certain file before downloading the other files, am i wrong?

OK, did you limit the upload rate of long time seeds too?

you trade pieces of files, with other peers, not files, witch are then checked against the hash and then written to the files in your download folder; you can see this better in the Piece map section in the lower panel. If the other peers that you are connected to don't have the pieces of the files you have set higher priority to or they send them at slow speeds then obviously others that are available and sent at a higher speed will finish faster.

When a torrent is created, the contents are divided into evenly-sized chunks, called "pieces". Unlike other download protocols, bittorrent pieces are not sent to you in sequential order, first to last. The order depends on which peers you're connected to, who has pieces that you don't and wants pieces that you do have. There's no way to predict the order in which you'll receive the pieces.

Prioritization just tells your client to "prefer" pieces that have part of the prioritized files, given the choice between one that does, and one that doesn't. If there isn't such a choice offered, it's still going to accept the piece that is offered.

Have you tried downgrading to a previously-working version, and did that make the problem disappear again? Have you tried using another client to see if the problem persists? (It's useful to know whether this is a problem BC creates, or a system problem that it simply found and is also a victim of.)

You need to limit that too. since you only have 60kB/s max I recommend that you limit it at 10kB/s (the minimum allowed) and 10kB/s is a bit too low for global max upload rate, it will make you an undesirable peer thus no one will want to trade pieces with you unless they don't have a choice so you'll get very low speeds or even nothing at all. I recommend you to set it at 32kB/s.

Also, have you altered any other setting in BitComet?

Have you tried downgrading to a previously-working version, and did that make the problem disappear again? Have you tried using another client to see if the problem persists? (It's useful to know whether this is a problem BC creates, or a system problem that it simply found and is also a victim of.)

It only happens with BC. I haven't downgraded, but will do if i can't sort it out.

You need to limit that too. since you only have 60kB/s max I recommend that you limit it at 10kB/s (the minimum allowed) and 10kB/s is a bit too low for global max upload rate, it will make you an undesirable peer thus no one will want to trade pieces with you unless they don't have a choice so you'll get very low speeds or even nothing at all. I recommend you to set it at 32kB/s.

Also, have you altered any other setting in BitComet?

How do i go about limiting it? I always set the global upload rate to 10-15, and most of the things I download are at speeds of 100-500kB/sec, so i didn't see the need to put it up.

I always set the global upload rate to 10-15, and most of the things I download are at speeds of 100-500kB/sec, so i didn't see the need to put it up.

This may be a little off topic but with this little upload speed how do you seed? It must take forever to seed even to a 1.0 ratio. Or you don't seed at all? Because if you don't, this problem might be your punishment for not doing it. :D

On a side note, another thing worth trying might be to limit in Options --> Advanced the network.max_connecting_connections to something lower than the number set in the TCP/IP Limit section (i.e. if the latter is set to 10 try setting the former to 8). If that doesn't help either, one more thing you could do is set the network.max_connection setting to something lower than 200.

This may be a little off topic but with this little upload speed how do you seed? It must take forever to seed even to a 1.0 ratio. Or you don't seed at all? Because if you don't, this problem might be your punishment for not doing it. :D

On a side note, another thing worth trying might be to limit in Options --> Advanced the network.max_connecting_connections to something lower than the number set in the TCP/IP Limit section (i.e. if the latter is set to 10 try setting the former to 8). If that doesn't help either, one more thing you could do is set the network.max_connection setting to something lower than 200.

Both those mentioned settings are at 0.