To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

GUI Change Request : Share Ratio Col. Change

L3xaust

The purpose of this feature change request is to improve the usefulness or usability of an existing feature.

The Share Ratio Column in the Torrent Download/Upload list provides meaningful data to the user regarding the amount of data that has been uploaded and downloaded.

What I wish to request is that an exception be made for files that have not been downloaded through the client. The problem is that the data is only meaningful if the data has been downloaded though the client first. If the file already exists on the users computer, the user will opt to perform a manual hash-check in order to seed for that existing file; In doing this the Share Ratio data immediately ceases to be useful. The ratio may jump to 500% after several kilobytes have been uploaded.

If the client automatically assumes that 100% of the existing data has been downloaded, the data will be more meaningful in this instance.

Sorry,I can't reproduce it.

1.How many files in the task? (one or many)

can you give me an BC link? (click on the right button for the task,and select "copy BC link")

2. how steps to reproduce that the ratio jump to 500%?

3. what your OS? what your BC version?

thank you.

The share ratio consists of bytes-uploaded divided by bytes-downloaded.

Let's suppose that you have just created a new torrent of your own videotaped lectures on philosophy. You load the task into the client and start it up. What's your share ratio?

Classic divide-by-zero error. You haven't (and won't) download any bytes. But in this case, the share ratio is a meaningless concept anyway. There's no ratio involved. There might be something else, but it's not a ratio.

"downloaded" is problematic here. There is SOME traffic towards you, though none of it properly consists of a real download of part of the torrent contents. If that minor traffic, mostly negotiations and such, is taken as the bytes-downloaded part of the ratio, then yes, the result is going to reflect some ridiculously large number.

But pragmatically, there is no possible meaning for the computation. The only right answer is no answer, to leave the column blank. OR to just ignore it. I vote for the latter, as there are other matters I'd rather have programmer time spent on.

I think that L3xaust is kind of making a point here. If every time you make a torrent and start seeding it the client would automatically consider a 100% download ratio, then the ratio column would show a more meaningful number (that is how many times fold you have uploaded the file(s) in the torrent). Of course, as kluelos pointed out it wouldn't really be a "ratio" in the classical sense but rather a counter of the number of copies uploaded reported to the sheer size of the torrent's contents. But probably any user would get the hang of its meaning on the fly, since it would be pretty much intuitive.

Of course, I have to agree with kluelos again that it would depend mostly on how hard it is to implement this programmaticaly so I guess it's up the development team whether they'll consider it or not.

Well, the 'times you've uploaded the torrent' is really just an incorrect assumption, the result of bytes-uploaded divided by size-of-the-torrent. Nothing is keeping track of whether you've actually sent all of the pieces out, therefore one complete upload.

It's not even reasonable to call that one complete upload unless you sent it all to a single peer, or you're the only seeder. This is a swamp whose alligators are fine just as they are.

Yeah, you're right, it probably would have meaning just from the point of view of the number of bytes transferred. I still think it would kind of make more sense, to the average unadvised user to see under that column a number which progresses in case of an initial seeding pretty much in the same way as when they're downloading/uploading; kind of like 1, 2.2, 3.1 instead of 500 as the initial poster reported.

Since, as you said the concept of ratio doesn't make much sense when you're the initial seeder this would give it at least "some" sense instead of freaking out the users with astronomical numbers which don't make sense at all anyway.

But then again, it's up to the programmers to decide if the juice it's worth the squeeze. B)

If every time you make a torrent and start seeding it the client would automatically consider a 100% download ratio, then the ratio column would show a more meaningful number (that is how many times fold you have uploaded the file(s) in the torrent).

But the actual situation really is. I asked our team and they said if you upload a file directly, then the share ratio will be uploaded data vs whole file(s) size, that is, BitComet will consider that you have downloaded that file completely. But our team just can not reproduce what L3xaust said.

About reproduction, I wonder if downloading the torrent separately, perhaps with another client, first, and then adding the torrent as a new task to BitComet, would work?

That's just idle curiosity, I truly don't think doing this is worth the effort.

Well I guess then, that what L3xaust reported was just an isolate case. He'll have to provide more info on how and when this error occurs. I haven't uploaded any files recently and when I did I wasn't paying much attention on the ratio column, so I can't confirm or contradict what he said.

• 2 months later...

Things like this happen more frequently than one would think.

This happened to me with a certain torrent that was replaced by a new one after a while.

I had downloaded most of the files of the old torrent, and then downloaded a new one.

In the new torrent all the old files were the same, but extra files were added.

So I copied the files to the location of the new torrent, deleted the old torrent, and performed a hash check. I had then the new torrent almost fully downloaded, and started uploading the data I already had, while downloading the new.

I can't recall much of the info, but I do remember that I had much more upload and download than I should in the column.