To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

wmv files

eaglestar53

Hi!

What error message do you receive? does it say something like "unrecognized file type" or "the media player cannot open this file type, it may be corrupted" ? As far as I know windows media player does not need any extra codecs to open this file type, you should update windows media player to at least version 10 or the latest version. Are you on vista?

Also, try opening it with MPCStar or VLC from videolan.org

If it does open and it says that you need to go to some site and get something, I cannot help you. It may be protected by copyright laws and the site it is referring to is most likely a "get rich from idiots" scheme and you should not access it.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

desertfish, I doubt very much that eaglestar53, who has never been back to this forum since posting that question, will ever even see your reply. The post you're replying to is a month old, and the he never followed up on the reply he did get. I suspect he's resolved the issue on his own by now. Even if he didn't, he's not looking for the answer here anymore.

This thread is pretty much dead. You should pay attention to the date of what you're replying to. Posting to dead topics is commonly called "necroposting", and is mostly frowned upon. It's pointless to reply to long-ago technical problems.

It's also unnecessary to quote the entire message that you're replying to, especially when, as here, the message is right above your reply. You should only quote the message when you're replying to only a part of it, or want to emphasize a particular point.

Hi!

What error message do you receive? does it say something like "unrecognized file type" or "the media player cannot open this file type, it may be corrupted" ? As far as I know windows media player does not need any extra codecs to open this file type, you should update windows media player to at least version 10 or the latest version. Are you on vista?

Also, try opening it with MPCStar or VLC from videolan.org

If it does open and it says that you need to go to some site and get something, I cannot help you. It may be protected by copyright laws and the site it is referring to is most likely a "get rich from idiots" scheme and you should not access it.

Cheers!

using media player 11 they just send u to another site to down load player which is a pain..... i did have a decode pack at one time...

Edited by cassie
merged posts (see edit history)

u can open wmv file with movie maker,or convert the wmv to avi for your media player with leawo video to FLV converter

okies thanx will try that.... reason not been on had problems with comp

@ eaglestar, just write your comment, right after where it says - this way, you will not need to make another post.

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

@ eaglestar53: This kind of posting behavior is frowned upon in the Forum Rules since it needlessly floods the topics and makes them hard to read. So you need to learn three things:

1. if you quote another post, type your response in the same window under the quote, do not make two posts (one with the quote and another with your response);
  2. do not quote the entire message, just the lines which you refer to;
  3. if you want to quote multiple posts at one time use the MultiQuote button for each one you want quoted and only after that the Add Reply button; this way all the quotes will be in the same post.

For more instructions on how to use the forum posting capabilities check the Help section.