To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Problems with v1.15 BitComet

jeffw247

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

Latest available version, upgraded from previous latest version (1.14?)

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

Comcast Cable 15down/10up

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What model? Have you forwarded your port?

Router D-Link WBR-1310 - no changes made since freeze occurances

4) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

Windows XP SP3 - windows firewall properly configured port forwarding and no anti-virus

BitComet has encountered an error and needs to close - after about 5 or 10 minutes or downloading.

I have used bitcomet with my passport login for many years and have always used the latests version of bitcomet, though i am debating changing to another bittorrent manager if i cannot get this cleared up.

I am no newbie to this scene and my options are configured appropriately, as far as i know. I do not mess with the advanced ones.

Also, since about 3 versions ago, i get "this page cannot be displayed"in the bottom left hand corner, instead of seeing my login info which is nice so i can see when i will lvl up ;)

Edited by jeffw247 (see edit history)

I'll take it from bottom to top.

I'm using WinXp SP3 too, with BitComet v.1.15 and I have not encountered any problems so far. Since my client logs on passport every single time, it's obviously a problem related to your machine and not to BitComet's server, which can be reached and is available. So you have to check if your computer can reach thisIP ranges.

As for the first issue, the same reasoning goes. It has to be some local software conflict between BitComet and another piece of software on your machine, since BitComet is running happily on lots of computers with WinXP SP1-SP3.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this. Assuming that you already have your Windows up to date, I would recommend a clean reinstall (save the .xml files and both Torrent and Archive folders to some other location, uninstall BitComet, make sure all files from the installation folder are gone and perform a clean reinstall).

Now, for some time, do not restore the settings (.xml) files nor the folders containing the torrents to their former places. Just open some torrents (of those which are running now, while you get the error) and see if it still comes up. If it does, it's obviously some other piece of software on your machine that is somehow conflicting with BitComet.

I do not entirely rule out the possibility of a bug in BitComet too, but it would have to be a very elusive one since, as I said, BitComet has been running on many WinXP machines so far with no problems of this kind reported.

Just an observation...

Windows XP SP3 - windows firewall properly configured port forwarding and no anti-virus

There are many good free antiviruses out there, that are well-behaved with p2p applications (unlike Zone Alarm - it's notoriously infamous) which you could use. Just try to stay away from any that are "Security Suites" (they often give more management headaches than, 'non-suite' ones).

thanks for the info guys i will start experimenting.

In a default installation of bitcomet, which files exactly will i need to backup in order to revive my torrents after a re-install?

I havent re-installed bitcomet in probably 2-3 years so that would be the easiest fix, i just dont want to lose any torrrents, or their progress.

also, my bitcomet terrents download and finish on a different hard drive than the bitcomet install since my system c: is an SSD

Edited by jeffw247 (see edit history)

The file holding your tasks is downloads.xml and the one holding BitComet settings is BitComet.xml. You would also need to back up the Torrent and Archive folders.

But after a clean reinstall just try and run BitComet a few days without restoring the backed up files & folders, only to see if you still have the same problem. Open some torrents and just leave it running.

The path to the download directory is not relevant if you don't move it, since the path to the unfinished downloads is comprised in the downloads.xml file for each task.