To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet detect my IP different from ipconfig

Hoo

i am in china now.

BitCommet show yellow light for 26523 port blocked

i try to check and firewall is already set for BitComet

when i use CMD command, ipconfig show that my IP is 221.175.XXX.XXX.

but BitComet's yellow light show 'Blocked:124.160.XXX.XXX:26523'

How to solve it?

How to tell my real IP to BitComet?

or this is China's GreatFireWall to block torrent???

please help,

Thank You

How could anyone help you if they don't know anything about your setup?

Read This Before Posting stands on top of this section. And that's the minimum minimorum.

Furthermore, just to be on the safe side, right-click your network connection which provides Internet, choose Status and then the Support tab and retrieve your NIC's IP from there.

Then go to a site like my whatismyip and double-check that you get the same IP as the one BitComet reports to you. Then come back.

You needn't quote the previous message unless you're referring to some part of it, which you should keep in that case. For the rest of times, use the Fast Reply box or Add Reply button.

I've let your IPs visible just for the mods.

Here what information you need.

-BitComet 1.15 stable release

-ADSL China Mobile

-No Router(Direct Connect via PPoE)

-WinXP SP3, Windows's firewall, AVG 8.5

-speed line 2MB (but speedtest.net result is 1.6MB)

here is my IP.

whatismyip show 'Your IP Address Is: 124.160.98.X'

BitCommet show 124.160.98.Y

DynDNS Updater show 124.160.98.Z

right-click network connection and ipconfig has same result, it show "221.175.122.T"

this is so strange, don't it?

there is very big possibility that there is a transparent proxy(124.160.XX.XX)btw me and tracker.

124.160.XX.XX should a part of "GreatFirewall" which running at ISP.

so how to solve such kind of this problem?

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

Well, no, it's perfectly normal. This is what happens when your connection passes through any device that does network address translation. You've obviously got one upstream from you.

This situation is very common when connecting via a small router, so I'll use that as an example.

When I connect my computer directly to the modem, my computer asks the ISP for the lease of an address. My ISP provides one, and I go on to connect to the internet for this session, using that IP address. IPCONFIG will show that leased IP address as mine, and whatsmyip.com will show the same address as mine. Later on, I shut the computer down. Then Joe, across town, starts his up. We both have the same ISP. He asks for and gets the IP address I used to have. Now it's leased to him for awhile.

When I connect my computer to my router, my computer again asks for the lease of an IP address, only now it's asking the router, not the ISP, for the IP. The router leases an address on it's Local Area Network, to my computer. Meanwhile, the router's "other side", the Wide Area Network side, contacts my ISP, and requests the lease of an IP address from it. The router takes everything from my computer (and any other computers at my house that are connected to it), and presents them as its own to the internet, by translating the IP address from the IP it assigned to me, to the IP it obtained from my provider. A reply comes back addressed to the router's IP. The router then routes that traffic to my computer. This is what a router does, why it's called a router.

In this second situation, when I check IPCONFIG, it's giving me the IP address that the computer leased from the router. If I ask whatsmyip.com, the request went from the computer to the router, then out to the internet to that web site. It is going to report the router's IP, the one that its WAN side leased from my ISP.

If I ask IPCONFIG, it tells me my computer's IP is 192.168.2.x, but if I ask whatsmyip.com, it tells me that the router's WAN-side IP, the only address it can see, is 124.160.98.x

This is how Network Address Translation works and it's perfectly normal.

Let's suppose that Joe and I both have the same make and model of router, and we both connect to the network at the same time. I check IPCONFIG, and it says my IP address is 192.168.0.2 while Joe does the same, and his IP address is ALSO 192.168.0.2

We both have the same IP? Isn't that supposed to be impossible or very bad? Well, no. Joe's address is valid on Joe's subnet. Mine is valid on my subnet, which is created by and consists of things connected to the LAN side of my router. That address isn't valid out on the internet at large.

But if Joe and I check whatsmyip.com, then we will show different addresses -- the ones assigned to the WAN sides of our respective routers.

That's all true, kluelos, except he stated that he doesn't use a SOHO router, so, his connection is directly to the ISP through the ADSL modem. Besides both his IP addresses are public routable IP addresses, not from any of the private ranges which all home routers use for DHCP. This would be possible only if his ISP would be using Overlapping (Twice) NAT. But as you can see below, the addresses do not seem to belong to the same company.

So, Hoo, to answer more directly your question: Yes, I believe that you might be subject to the interference of the Golden Shield (a.k.a. The Great Firewall of China).

In fact if I've run a whois command for both your address ranges and as you can see below, they belong to two different owners, namely the 221.x.x.x address belongs to CHINA RAILWAY TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER in Beijing and the 124.x.x.x ones belong to the CNC Group, China Unicom Zhejiang province network which as you can verify here, is located in the city of Hangzhou (quite away from Beijing).

Whois for 221.x.x.x:

% [whois.apnic.net node-1]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html 

inetnum:      221.172.0.0 - 221.175.255.255
netname:     CRTC
descr:        CHINA RAILWAY TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER.
descr:        22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,
descr:        Beijing,P.R.China
admin-c:      LQ112-AP 
tech-c:       LM273-AP
changed:      hm-changed@apnic.net 20030902
mnt-by:       MAINT-CNNIC-AP
source:       APNIC 

route:        221.172.0.0/14
descr:        CHINA RAILWAY TELECOMMUNICATIONS
origin:       AS9394
mnt-by:       MAINT-CN-CRTC
changed:      wangpei@crc.net.cn 20040402

person:       LV QIANG
nic-hdl:      LQ112-AP
e-mail:       crnet_mgr@chinatietong.com
address:      22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,Beijing,P.R.China
phone:        +86-10-51892111
fax-no:       +86-10-51847845
changed:      ipas@cnnic.net.cn 20060911

person:       liu min
nic-hdl:      LM273-AP
e-mail:       abuse@chinatietong.com
address:      22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,Beijing,P.R.China
phone:        +86-10-51848796 fax-no:       +86-10-51842426
changed:      ipas@cnnic.net.cn 20041208

inetnum:      221.172.0.0 - 221.175.255.255
netname:      CRTC
descr:        CHINA RAILWAY TELECOMMUNICATIONS CENTER
descr:        22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,Beijing
admin-c:      LQ112-CN
tech-c:       LM273-CN
changed:      hm-changed@apnic.net 20030902
mnt-lower:    MAINT-CN-CRTC
mnt-routes:   MAINT-CN-CRTC
source:       CNNIC 

person:       LV QIANG
nic-hdl:      LQ112-CN
e-mail:       crnet_mgr@chinatietong.com
address:      22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,Beijing
phone:        +86-10-51892111
fax-no:       +86-10-51847845
changed:      ipas@cnnic.cn 20060419

person:       liu min
nic-hdl:      LM273-CN
e-mail:       crnet_tec@chinatietong.com
address:      22F Yuetan Mansion,Xicheng District,Beijing,P.R.Chinaphone:        +86-10-51848796
fax-no:       +86-10-51842426
changed:      ipas@cnnic.net.cn 20041208

Whois for 124.x.x.x:

% APNIC found the following authoritative answer from: whois.apnic.net

% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum:      124.160.0.0 - 124.160.255.255
netname:      UNICOM-ZJ
descr:        China Unicom Zhejiang province network
descr:        China Unicom
admin-c:      CH1302-AP
tech-c:       JQ16-AP
remarks:      service provider
mnt-by:       APNIC-HM
mnt-lower:    MAINT-CNCGROUP-ZJ
mnt-routes:   MAINT-CNCGROUP-RR
remarks:      -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
remarks:      This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.
remarks:      To update this object, please contact APNIC
remarks:      hostmasters and include your organisation's account
remarks:      name in the subject line.
remarks:      -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
changed:      hm-changed@apnic.net 20060314
changed:      hm-changed@apnic.net 20090507
changed:      hm-changed@apnic.net 20090508

route:        124.160.0.0/16
descr:        CNC Group CHINA169 Zhejiang Province Network
origin:       AS4837
mnt-by:       MAINT-CNCGROUP-RR
changed:      abuse@cnc-noc.net 20060314

person:       ChinaUnicom Hostmaster
nic-hdl:      CH1302-AP
e-mail:       abuse@chinaunicom.cn
address:      No.21,Jin-Rong Street
address:      Beijing,100140
address:      P.R.China
phone:        +86-10-66259940
fax-no:       +86-10-66259764
changed:      abuse@chinaunicom.cn 20090408
mnt-by:       MAINT-CNCGROUP

person:       Jianhuaq Qian
nic-hdl:      JQ16-AP
e-mail:       chenrenhai@china-netcom.com
address:      No 1,Hangzhou University Road,Hangzhou, Zhejiang,China
phone:        +86-571-28868063
fax-no:       +86-571-28868069
changed:      wuhong@china-netcom.com 20050421
mnt-by:       MAINT-CNCGROUP-ZJ

Furthermore as you can see in this article, the last range of addresses are part of the Autonomous System AS4837, which is one of those handling traffic crossing from international networks into China, so, most likely a part of the Golden Shield project.

To further verify this, check an internal (Chinese) site which can return your IP address, just like whatismyip does. If you get in return your actual IP (221.x.x.x), there you have your confirmation that you were firewalled.

You could also run a traceroute command to an international site which you are sure it is accessible from mainland China (i.e. something that has no sensitive material which would make the object of censorship) and see if your route passes through the 124.x.x.x range. If it does, there you have another proof that the TCP replies for BC coming to you from outside are being firewalled at that address, as well.

For the sake of curiosity, have you tried forcing encryption on your BC connections? Unless you're downloading something that could get you in trouble there, probably you're being blocked automatically, so it might be worth a try.

Thank you all,

i would to give additional information to you.

1)i am in Xiamen, Fujian Province.

2)now my ipconfig still show 221.175.122.XX

3)My IP detected from international server is 124.160.98.XX.

4)China Domestic server http://www.7y8.com/V/ip.asp show 122.225.55.XX

(What? they firewall even inner contry?)

5)can't traceroute with simple CMD 'ping -r 9', it always Request timed out.

(it is ok to ping, if there is no -r parameter.)

6)i download VirtualRoute to trace,

here is IP node in the result(see the picture below)

221.175.122.79 TTL 0

221.175.120.1 TTL 1

222.47.1.149 TTL 2

222.47.1.173 TTL 3

222.47.1.170 TTL 4

122.90.9.66 TTL 5

No response for this section of the route

205.234.111.141 TTL 23

7)i use http://visualroute.visualware.com/ trace back to my IP.

i attach result picture below

there is loss hop too(red point with white box on the left side)

8)my content is just Win7, wish to install it to my friend's computer in this weekend.

here is list of tracker in .torrent file

http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce

http://tracker.ilibr.org:6969/announce

http://tracker1.torrentum.pl/announce

http://exodus.desync.com:6969/announce

http://tracker.publicbt.com/announce

http://tracker.bittorrent.am/announce

http://85.17.189.130/announce

http://tracker.mightynova.com:4315/announce

http://inferno.demonoid.com:3418/announce

9)Force BT encrypt still get 124.160.98.XX.

-----

i don't know if next version of BitComet will

-allow user to put his IP manually

OR

-detecting IP from Windows instead of external IP checker.

can solve the problem or not.

Thank you

post-54681-125696228539.png

post-54681-125696231213.png

Edited by Hoo (see edit history)

OK, 2 things:

1. You did that part backwards. You need to run a traceroute command, as I told you in my previous post, from your PC "to an international site which you are sure it is accessible from mainland China". Try something closer, like Australia or whatever. That is, you need to see the route from you towards outside. For that, type at the command prompt:
    tracert -h 64 URLofthesite

. You will see the path starting from your IP and further on. You needn't use the ping command, traceroute does that for you.

2. The IP that you see in BC is the IP BitComet detects after testing on an BitComet server. So, it is the result of a test, not something you can set. Even if you could, it wouldn't do you any good, the other peers would still see the address BC detects now, not the one you want them to see. That is, if you're being firewalled there is nothing you can do about that, unless you have access to the firewall.

You should test some more internal servers which can return your IP and probe if your ports are open, too. If you don't know other ones use an internal search engine such as baidu.com or whatever to find them. That way you'll make sure if you get always an IP, different from your NIC's or just sometimes.

1) tracert is new command for me,thank you.

2) last reply i tract for both side

-from my IP to www.visualware.com in 6) (you can see first image write 'Traceroute to www.visualware.com')

-from www.visualware.com to my IP in 7) + second image

3) last reply i already check my IP with server in china, the result is at 4)

now i check again and both of

http://www.7y8.com/V/ip.asp

http://www.myip.cn/

show 124.156.86.176

while my current IP is 221.175.87.249.

so it seem china firewall everythings even domestic connection!

4)so what i can do is

to wait bitcoment download at 5-14KB/s until complete 2.3GB

(-*-)

Now that you understand how NAT works, you can hopefully see that as you go through a NAT device, everything on the far side of that device thinks that you have a different IP address, than everything on the near side does. Depending on where you do your checking, you can be told that you have completely different identification.

It can get hairer, but perhaps a bit easier to think of if your gateway connects to a network that uses a completely different protocol like NetBIOS which used to be very widely used in office LANs. On one side of the gateway your ID is one thing, while on the other side it's completely different. On the TCP/IP side, you have an IP address. On the NetBIOS side, you have a name, not a number. Nobody on the NetBIOS side can see the other network or you on it, and vice-versa.

Suppose that you wanted to impose a filter block on a network, to allow or disallow external connections. How would you go about that?

You'd basically want a programmable filter that disallows connections to, not the IP address (because that can and does change) but the registered name. (That way, when the DNS records change the filter still works. You co-opt the Domain Name System rather than fighting it.)

The easiest way to do that is to pull ever network connection through a commercially available device that can already do that sort of thing -- a router. You get network address translation as a side effect, not as a primary feature.

At the level of that router you can disallow connections in both directions, which is quite important. You want to control traffic coming in as well as traffic going out. You can do it with standard network equipment, nothing special required. The only thing you do need is to make sure all of the traffic eventually passes through your router-as-filter. But there does not have to be only one of them.

We imagine the Great Firewall as monolithic: a bunch of thick cables going into this anonymous grey building with guards and electric fences and all. Probably not, though. More likely just a scaleable set of routers that can all be programmed remotely, which ISP's are required to install and use, which routers can be reprogrammed by anyone who can appear on the LAN side of it, probably via secure VPN.

Another important result of doing it this way is that your filter looks "normal" because it is normal. Network commands can't distinguish your filter from just another hop. All of the traffic doesn't suspiciously all route through the same hop sooner or later. The hypothetical filter site doesn't need incredibly massive bandwidth both ways to do all this filtering for all of the traffic flowing into or out of an entire nation. (That way, it wouldn't take ten extra hops to get to Bejing first, then however many hops to get where it's going. Anything like that would tend strongly to be routed around. The network would fight it at every step.)

But you will be able to detect that this has occurred thanks to that apparently unnecessary network address translation, if you "ask" the right questions to the right part of the network. You will still have to guess whether any NAT is part of this filter process, or is for some other purpose entirely.

If I've guessed right about the structure, then you will see these odd network address translations internally as well as externally -- because it's not being done at a central location. It's being done at the ISP level, and some traffic may find its way through that router-set on its passage through various networks.

Dear kluelos,

My main problem is how to make BitComet know my IP correctly,

so other peers can speed up to share torrent to my computer via port 26523.

regard of my upper reply

it show that http://visualroute.visualware.com/ can ping and route to my IP.

i am not perfectly behind gateway or firewall.

but GreatFirewall make other peer&BitComet server misunderstand and take GreatFirewall IP instead of my IP.

the consequence is every peer which try to connect to me try to connect to GreatFirewall instead of my computer.

so no one can connect to me via port 26523, that is the problem.

So, Can you provide method how to tell BitComet Server&other peer known my real IP?

I am just an abroad student,

I don't have authorities to config GreatFirewall for sure,

no matter it is placed on ISP or Government Building.

Warning hacking Government Computer System may cause to Terminate penalty.

(- -')

-----

ps. To break GreatFirewall and browse blocked site (youtube.com, facebook.com)

there are varies program do it for me now.

Ex. FreeGate, Tor, PUFF etc.

**update i am misunderstand,

the test from http://visualroute.visualware.com/

also have additional message which i ignored.

it said i am behind firewall(ping 100% loss)

so case closed**

Edited by Hoo (see edit history)