To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Unable to Sign In With Client

pabro

Using my p/w and u/d, I am unable to sign in using the client. I can d/l and u/l torrents.

Important info:

Version: 1.15

Feels like a bug to me. I was fine when using XP/sp2. As soon as I switched, the problem came up. So now I am only able to use Bitcomet as an anonymous user. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have checked the firewall and Bitcomet has already been allowed access. If there was a firewall problem, I'm guessing I also would not be allowed to u/l and d/l torrents. The problem persists.

Yes, obviously the double-post was an accident as a result from a non-responsive connection. I tried to delete it once seeing my mistake, but there is no way to delete a post on this forum (that I am aware of) once you've made a post.

My apologies for choosing the wrong area to post in though. I will re-post my topic in the correct (General Discussion) section.

What would keep me from signing in but still am able to upload & download. I would question if it was my connection to the BitComet server, but think this unlikely since the starting point of my problem began when I upgraded to Windows 7 (btw, made sure already that I run program as admin).

Thoughts welcomed. :-)

The two processes have nothing to do with each other. It is completely unnecessary to sign in, or even register at all with BitComet passport, in order to use BitComet. The practical benefit of signing in is actually pretty dubious for most people. Many run BitComet without signing in at all.

To sign in, you must be able to contact a BitComet server. Anything that prevents you from doing that will also prevent you from signing in. If there is a problem, BitComet doesn't report it. Something in the changeover is interfering with this. Changing OS's generally involves a whole host of other changes along the way, especially if you were changing from XP to 7.

Hi friends,

I would question if it was my connection to the BitComet server, but think this unlikely since the starting point of my problem began when I upgraded to Windows-XP. Actually now I am only able to use Bitcomet as an anonymous user. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thanks.

You, and everyone, are at the same level of anonymity in using bittorrent.

Signing in, or not signing in, makes no difference whatever to bittorrent. Signing in applies only to BitComet Passport, which in turn is solely for those BitComet clients who voluntarily choose to use it. Other bittorrent clients cannot.

Most of the benefits of signing in to Passport are not going to be significant for most of the West. A good rank in Passport will help you gain access to more/faster LT seeders, but the vast majority of torrents will not have any LT seeders at all. Most of those that do will be Chinese. The idea and the client are not popular enough in the West, to have many of them.

The Passport server is entirely separate from bittorrent and the bittorrent system. You do not need to log in to anything, anywhere, to use bittorrent fully. You do not need to connect to any server to use bittorrent.

Whether or not you do or can log in to the Passport server affects and involves only those things related to that server and to the Passport system, which is not recognized or supported by any other bittorrent client, including BitLord. It is not recognized or supported by any tracker whatsoever, being entirely orthogonal to the tracker/swarm system.

IOW, the BitComet Passport server isn't just one thing, it's the only thing, as far as logging in to Passport or not.

OH! How interesting. I am curious what an LT seeder is. In fact, I AM in China and DO d/l some Chinese torrents.

I get your point. Signing in to Passport, for the most part is irrelevant and pointless. And I'm guessing after my post being marked as unimportant (by the Support Team no less! LOL), I won't be getting any possible solutions here. Nevertheless, I would still like to fix the problem.

You both question whether the issue is your connection to the BitComet Passport server.

That is the only issue here, and it's a bog-standard http connection to a web server. Bittorrent is not even peripherally involved.

This is a network issue, or a firewall issue, and given that it worked fine before you both changed OS's, it's on your end. Think of it as not being able to connect to Amazon.com and you'll be on the right path.

The wiki contains an explanation of LT seeding.

Most of the benefits of signing in to Passport are not going to be significant for most of the West. A good rank in Passport will help you gain access to more/faster LT seeders, but the vast majority of torrents will not have any LT seeders at all. Most of those that do will be Chinese. The idea and the client are not popular enough in the West, to have many of them.

How exactly have you come to that conclusion.?

Seems like a reasonable conclusion to me.