To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Port blocked on wired connection

FC360

Recently upgraded to windows 7 and installed Bitcomet however I seem to be experiencing a problem with it saying either the port is blocked or detection failed but only when I have my laptop connected via ethernet. This is strange as when I was using vista it had the same problem only the other way round, the port was blocked on wifi but not on ethernet.

I have added the port on my router which is BT Homehub 2 and have also allowed it in McAfee but it still won't work. I'm pretty sure it's not the firewall as wifi works fine. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Also anyone know why my downloads seem to reset themselves in bitcomet to 0%? I'm pretty sure when I turned my laptop off last night my downloads were at 2% however today they are at 0%.

Edited by FC360 (see edit history)

The expression "port forwarding" was chosen with a good reason. You don't only open a port in your SOHO router but you also have to forward it towards a local IP from your LAN in order for this to work. I'm pretty sure that you get assigned different IPs when you connect through your wireless NIC from those you get when connected through your wired NIC. If you need instructions for forwarding, check the Wiki pages.

As for your second problem, there is way to little info to draw any conclusion, so far.

I'm pretty sure it's not the firewall

That's going to be a problem.

See, it IS the, or rather, a, firewall because this is what firewalls do, what they are for, why they exist: to block ports. Nothing else does that. Anything that blocks a port is called a firewall. If there's an application that has a port-blocker in it, that feature is called a built-in firewall.

As long as you insist that it isn't, you won't resolve the issue.

You can have more than one firewall, even many more. None of them are aware of the existence of any others. None of them will ever tell you, "wait! You already have a firewall here!" So you can, and people sometimes do, have three, four, five firewalls, some of which they aren't even aware of.

In this context, firewalls act like gates. It only takes one that's closed to block the path, no matter whether the others are open or not: the path is blocked.

There are external firewalls, which are imposed by your service provider. Most hotels, dorms, offices that provide internet connectivity as part of the lease, are going to do it by means of a firewalled router. Almost all wireless connections of whatever type including cell modems and hot-spots in coffee shops and airports are firewalled. Some service providers include a firewall. AOL used to do that. Most ISP's do not, though.

There are firmware firewalls, Your wireless router almost certainly has one built in. Most SOHO routers have one. Many all-in-one modem + router + WAP combos have one.

There are software firewalls. Windows comes with one that's active by default. Most internet security suites include a firewall. Some mainboard utility software includes one. There are several paid and free vendors of firewall software.

Check your listen port at www.canyouseeme.org, with your client running. Any answer other than "I can see your service" means you have a firewall blocking your listen port.

Having multiple firewalls does not make you more secure. It gives you headaches. You will need to find and configure or disable all of your firewalls, if you can. But never, ever connect to the internet without a known working firewall. Most of the email spam you get comes to you from people who did just that and don't realize their computer has been co-opted by somebody else.

You only need one firewall. The one in your router is a good choice for your working firewall, since it takes none of your computer's resources, can't fail to start, die on you, be subverted or corrupted by anything you download or get infected by.

That wiki page didn't help me. As for the firewalls, I have 2 firewalls, Mcafee and the built in one on my router, windows firewall is completely disabled and I do not have any other firewalls installed or running, if I did I'm pretty sure I would be getting a yellow light on all my internet connections.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

1. Yellow light? I think that is your firewalls setting.

2.return 0%? check your account.Do you have write permission to the dowenload directory and bitcomet install directory ? By the way,please exit bitcomet before shutdown.

hope this useful to you

You are likely using two different NIC's. One's wireless, one's not. Probably one's built into the mainboard (the wired one) while the other (wireless) is an add-on card.

They almost certainly have different IP addresses (Windows whines if you set two active NIC's to the same static address).

When you forward a port on a router, almost all of them require that you specify an address that you want the port opened on. Most of them won't open a port globally because that would be a large security hole for any connected device that wasn't expecting it. This means that the computer you want to bittorrent on has to have its IP address set to the address that the forwarded port points to.

If your machine has a different address, it will be blocked. Makes no difference whether it's via the wired or wireless connection, the essential problem is that the addresses don't match up.

You likely have the laptop's wireless connection set up for DHCP. because that's the default, and the usual setting, and is what would work at most hotspots. The wireless NIC gets a dynamic, changing IP address assignment from whichever access point that it connects to. That'll be the router at the hotspot when you're away, or your own router when at home. The address it gets assigned is probably not the one address where the port is opened. Sometimes, by chance, it will be, and things will work, at least for a while.

Wired/wireless isn't the point here. Static vs dynamic is the point, and the computer's NIC-du-jour needs to have the right IP address to which the port is forwarded. If it does not, then the firewall will block your listen port.

Under this setup, if your wired NIC is configured to the correct address, then it will work and the wireless connection will not; and vice-versa. You can configure TWO forwarded ports, one for wired and one for wireless. You can disable one or the other and never have both NIC's active at once, which is the way I do it. But then, I don't have any trouble remembering the right settings for each NIC and each situation. I'd rather do that than have TWO holes in my firewall. To me changing remembered settings is no more trouble than changing shoes.

You may not be able to or want to remember a bunch of settings, or change them all of the time. Having two holes in the firewall may not bother you. You may decide to use only the wired connection for Bittorrent, and never the wireless -- or vice-versa. As long as the holes and the pins match up, it will all work. As long as they don't, it won't. If one's dynamic, odds are they won't match up.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long delay in getting back, I have now finally managed to get it to work with both connections. I got Bitcomet to randomly give me a port and then took that port and created a new rule in router and assigned it, as soon as I restarted bitcomet with wireless disabled it worked perfectly. And all I have to do now is type in the port for the wireless connection and it will work with that connection. Thanks for your help.