To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

When using bitcomet nothing else can connect to internet

coolbiker

Is there a reason that bit-comet grabs a hold and lets nothing communicate with the outside world. For the most part my downloads are coming down so slow I'm not even using 1/4 of my bandwidth . Its not like I'm using the same port to connect for my bit-comet tasks.

This is vista 32 bit sp2 with bit-comet 1.16 current version.

Well, if you ask a speed-related question and give no info whatsoever about your connection's parameters how is anybody supposed to give you an answer?

There is a Read This Before Posting announcement, on top of this section and inside it, there is a minimum of info you should provide.

Have you tried using the Network Wizard to configure your BC client?

Yea I've seen network wizard and it doesn't seem to benefit on my connection . I do limit the upload and download of bitcomet to try to prevent this. Ive probably on my best networks day have 2000Kb up and down and I set my downloads and uploads to 400/50 and I have port mapping with nat that seems to get a proper connection.

I'm pretty sure I gave you all my config

Vista 32 bit

bit comet 1.16

Network speed down 2000Kb / up 2000Kb

Setup with down 400Kb/ Up 50Kb

Port mapping on and functioning

Nat is up

tcip setting are not configurable as I have vista

Bug me all you want ;) . Maybe I'll find something I forgot to tell you for you to help me. :huh: What other specifics are you looking for?

I said on a good day :( . On a blue moon it should be like 16Mb up and 5Mb down(some large number should be possible using this network). At another area I occasionally use bitcomet its like 1.5Mb/768Kb and bitcomet still does the same thing with stopping internet traffic except for itself on My pc at least as noticed(no screaming people when I try to use bitcomet). It doesn't seem to fudge others connections on the higher speed network just mine. :blink:

I believe 16 down and 5 up, but I don't believe 5 down and 16 up.

But if you have set BitComet's upload rate at 80% of 5 Mb, and what you're actually getting is 768Kb, then you're assured of drowning your upstream side, with exactly the symptoms you note.

You must set the upload limit according to your actual, tested upload bandwidth, done several different times per day, on several different days per week, to get a reliable average.

If you are getting much more upstream bandwidth than you were promised, and are on a cable connection, be aware that you are merely fortunate, that the bandwidth you're getting is delivered to your entire neighborhood, and as more people sign up for internet service, it will drop. During times of the day when more people are using the internet, it will drop.

Actually, in my first post I have explained to you what specs we need (and that's a minimum).

Furthermore, in my second and third posts I actually gave you a link towards the specs list required. I assume that someone who can post on a forum should be capable to recognize a weblink by now.

But unfortunately I can't come and click on the link for you.

I'm pretty sure I gave you all my config

Vista 32 bit

bit comet 1.16

The OS and BitComet version, are no way near "all your config". It would take one or two sheets of paper to list all your configuration specs. What we ask there is a minimum necessary. Usually we still have to ask for more.

Network speed down 2000Kb / up 2000Kb

This can't count as a valid spec since you didn't mention from where you pulled it.

Port mapping on and functioning

Nat is up

Same for these. We don't know how you came to this conclusions. Maybe you're right, maybe not. There is no telling.

Actually, in my first post I have explained you what specs we need (and that's a minimum).

Furthermore, in my second and third posts I actually gave you a link towards the specs list required. I assume that someone who can post on a forum should be capable to recognize a weblink by now.

But unfortunately I can't come and click on the link for you.

The OS and BitComet version, are no way near "all your config". It would take one or two sheets of paper to list all your configuration specs. What we ask there is a minimum necessary. Usually we still have to ask for more.

This can't count as a valid spec since you didn't mention from where you pulled it.

Same for these. We don't know how you came to this conclusions. Maybe you're right, maybe not. There is no telling.

Came to the portmapping seeing as the connection is green on the status bar and the log on the torrent says the ports not being blocked.

2nd the connection I have is kind of variable and depend on the other users sharing. Take it from the fact that I have used the setup for both connections based upon thier speed. the faster one is set regardless of speed to 400kb down and 50Kb Up through the setup wizard. Ive tried to set the settings low enough that they give me effective download without craping out the rest of my network. I have neither set to the maximums they can take.

I can tell you that I have windows firewall on and symantec on and turned on in exceptions. Also speed test is not accurate for the higher connection for the traffic that goes through but the 1.5/768 Mb down/up is accurate and seems to be affected in the same fashion and this connection is dsl through a router, the other I can't be sure of.

i have anti leaching on and encryption and anti arp1.1, which as far as I know are there to keep my connections working with bitcomet and not be blocked.

I can only tell you what I know and this is what I know regardless of citing where this knowledge is coming from. I would not write this much asking help to BS 2 admins that in someway may answer me helpfully or help me stumble on it myself. Is there a deeper "read before posting" that has more than I can see.

You fail to see the whole picture yet.

We DO NOT KNOW what your network setup is, or looks like. We can't guess and don't like to guess!!! :angry:

Since this is a speed related question we need to know ALL the info possible about your network setup.

Yet so far you didn't answer some basic questions:

What kind of connection to Internet do you have? xDSL, cable, fiber optic etc?

What is your Internet connection's advertised speed?

Opposed to that, what's your connection's tested, real speed?

What kind of equipment connects you to the Internet? Is it a router and a modem? Is it a just a modem? Is it a modem+router integrated device? Is it something else?

What make and model is it?

It is well specified in that announcement that the lack of the said information will result in your post being ignored, so the fact that we've answered it so many times just to ask for more info, is proof of our courtesy.

Along with not having all the above info, now you come and say:

Take it from the fact that I have used the setup for both connections...

and

Also speed test is not accurate for the higher connection for the traffic that goes through but the 1.5/768 Mb down/up is accurate and seems to be affected in the same fashion and this connection is dsl through a router, the other I can't be sure of.

When did you EVER tell us that you're using 2 different Internet connections? This is even more confusing now.

Do you have 2 network cards in your computer?

Do you use both connections simultaneously? What type of connections are they?

... without craping out the rest of my network.

So, do you have a LAN too, now? How many computers? Are others of them using file-sharing clients too?

If you're part of a LAN, how is it connected to the Internet?

Is any of your Internet connections separate from your LAN connection? Are you the administrator of your LAN or is it wider (the whole building)?

Do you see now, that we know NOTHING about your network setup?

These are the questions to which you should have provided an answer from the very beginning.

It's very frustrating having to post over and over just to ask for more info. And the mods of this forum have to go through dozens of posts on a daily basis, not just yours.

So, if you don't help yourself and increase your chances by giving as much info as possible you'll get nowhere.

Because nobody is happy about having to write posts longer than yours, just to ask for more info or clarifications.

The faster network is soposed to be like t1(soposed to at max speed test get like 15Mb down 1Mb but Ive never gotten this high I get more like 2 down and the funk of 2Mb Up.

the lower connection is dsl (1.5Mb/768kb). Current connections are through wireless but I have done wired in the past with same effect as far as I can remember(I'll have to try that eventually but wireless is more available to me in both situations).

The 2 connections go through 2 separate routers . My dsl goes through a dsl/router modem, I have no specifics on the pathing of the t1 line.

These are 2 different connection on 2 diffrent locations. Lets call them home and work.

As far the setup network manager provided in bitcomet I selected the choice best for each connection(dsl for dsl 10/100 for t1 connection) and then lowered more then what was specified to protect my other tasks on my 2 Vista sp2 PC's .

I really don't mean to make you mind read these details. If any of us could I would have won the lottery and have 2 pc's to alleviate my problem.

The faster network is soposed to be like t1(soposed to at max speed test get like 15Mb down 1Mb but Ive never gotten this high I get more like 2 down and the funk of 2Mb Up.

Who told you that? T-1 standards have been around for a very long time and are widely available. Even the most casual research should have told you that a T-1 speed is fixed at 1.544 Mbits per second (That's 193 KB/s), in both directions. Been that way for decades. You'd probably best stop listening to whoever you're getting your information from.

the lower connection is dsl (1.5Mb/768kb). Current connections are through wireless but I have done wired in the past with same effect as far as I can remember(I'll have to try that eventually but wireless is more available to me in both situations).

DSL speeds vary all over the place. They're usually as fast or faster than a T-1 downstream, usually much slower upstream, and they're far, far cheaper. ADSL uses an ordinary phone line and can disconnect like hanging up a phone, where a T1 uses special equipment, expensive cable, and does not disconnect, ever, without triggering alarms all over the network.

The 2 connections go through 2 separate routers . My dsl goes through a dsl/router modem, I have no specifics on the pathing of the t1 line.

The T1 has its own terminating device. A T1 is always on, always sending signal even if that signal is empty. It requires its own hardware, nothing like a SOHO router, to do that. And it's all (hardware, monthly fees, maintenance) very expensive. Once the signal gets into the facility, then it's presumably handled like POTS for distribution -- the whole setup is transparent to the user, just as using a desk telephone in an office is transparent.

As far the setup network manager provided in bitcomet I selected the choice best for each connection(dsl for dsl 10/100 for t1 connection) and then lowered more then what was specified to protect my other tasks on my 2 Vista sp2 PC's .

There isn't a network manager in BitComet. You must be referring to something else. It would be really helpful if you gave things their proper names instead of leaving us trying to guess or figure out what you're talking about.

When you "select the best choice for the connection", what, exactly and in some detail, do you do and what do you do it to?

Are you setting your global speeds based on the inaccurate speed information you have about your networks?

Are you connecting one machine to each network?

Are these machines separate in physical location as well as network setup?

Are you simply conflating them in your head, or do they actually have anything to do with one another?

Do you have two network interfaces in each machine? How are you switching between them?

Are you trying to swap them out?

Are you trying to connect both networks in one machine?

I really don't mean to make you mind read these details. If any of us could I would have won the lottery and have 2 pc's to alleviate my problem.

We're not asking for great fortune. Simple clear communication would resolve most of this.

My network manager is the network wizard. I really don't know what to say about that speed with my t1 but thats what speed test said 15.6Mb Down (Currently 8.22Mb Down / 11.74Mb up by speedtest). Its a weird network :blink: .

The dsl and the t1 line are on seperate sites(locations) (home and work).

I'm referencing that my home connection seems to have the same results as my work network has.

They are both wirelessly connecting to seperate networks and both are 802.11n

When I select the best choice I mean is if it says dsl 1mb and I have 1.5Mb I choose that. That the same with my as far as I'm calling t1, which is obviously wrong. I've been told that on a great day the network I connect to should have at least 1000-2000Kbs(which I think is something like 2Mbs(Browsers still don't show in Mbs even if I get that high) and that's only happened twice in the time I've connected to it and that was probably to a site with large bandwith( I'm getting 62KBs downloading bitcomet 1.16 right now as firefox says , so my maths off somewhere).

Possibly that's due to confusing units. BitComet and other applications almost never measure anything in bps. They all measure in Bps. Big difference. 1 Mbps = 125 KBps. If you allow yourself to get things confused, sometimes measuring in inches or centimeters or seconds, and sometimes measuring in feet or meters or minutes, you'll get hopelessly confused.

Network connections are more often than not measured in bps, not least because it inflates the numbers and sounds faster.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

i had the same problem , it seems to be resolved when i installed zonealarm free firewall , i noticed immediately a great improvement in downloading rate, and in the internet connection in general , it replace the windows firewall that i guess is the problem .

so try this and tell me.

Your firewall probably set a bunch of custom feature when you installed it :o . I thought I found something about packet sizes may be a culprit. Somethings with changing ?mtu? to let larger packets work while smaller packets scurry by (have no idea if this can be changed in my situation <_< ).

At least the one connection I've used crapped out and the people who fix the network fixed it I haven't had as much trouble except for a few sites which must need more bandwidth since they add supported and if one fails all is to doom.

If I find any more valid details I shall post but this current post probably shouldn't be taken to heart.

icestation, this experience indicates that you did not have the Windows firewall properly configured, and your listen port was blocked to incoming traffic. That would cause the symptoms you experienced.

ZA has a different method of configuring its firewall, so you probably got that configuration correct.

The easiest way to configure the Windows firewall is to let BitComet handle it for you. It will do so automatically if properly set.

ZA has a very unfortunate history with P2P, and of general misbehavior. If it is working for you, great, but if you start having trouble with it, your best remedy is to get rid of it.