To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Norton(NIS2010) messed up my Bitcomet

zombi3

Howdi. recently had upgrad to Norton Internet Security 2010 because the old version was using all CPU, New version has now messed up my bitcomet (1.16) constantly getting failed or BLOCKED yellow light.

looked and read posts on port forwarding (huh?) and lots of bits n bobs to change settings :o

WTF? too scary, ask me to put a motorbike up on one wheel and do a quarter mile drag strip...

YEAH BABY :lol: alter bits inside the PC, :huh: need an unscary answer if poss please :)

if i mess up the pc connection, i have a WIFE to answer to...

much more scary than over taking a taxi on one wheel.

(xp, 1gb ram, static ip, btvoyder router wired, and a partridge in a pear tree...

The most un-scary thing you can do is to uninstall/disable Norton Firewall and use the built-in Windows Firewall instead, which BitComet can configure on its own.

Otherwise, you have to get your hands dirty and configure NIS for allowing access, there is no other way.

Thanks for your quick response.

could you suggest any that you would trust?

only stuck with 'norton theCPUdestroyer' for so long, (most of the time waiting for the cpu to free up :)

as my buddy just used windows firewall and his pc is still on our table as a paperweight :unsure:

so bit scared of similar with mine.

just been reading on download . com about microsofts security essentials.

write ups seem ok, but? :blink:

Edited by zombi3 (see edit history)

First of all, you already have a hardware firewall on your router. Activate that thing and you'll already have an unbeatable firewall.

Furthermore the NAT technology your router uses acts as a sort of "firewall" itself even if your router firewall is disabled since inbound connections are not forwarded unless mapped (forwarded) manually or through UPnP to a local host on your LAN.

For the task it's meant (preventing unsolicited inbound connections) Windows Firewall works just as fine as any other firewalls. Don't let stories from guys who don't understand much about network security, spook you.

However, if you want to use a "full" firewall (protecting inbound and outbound connections), you'll have to go the extra mile, and "get your hands dirty" by learning how to configure it. It is not that difficult, but some people just don't feel like learning some extra networking basics which are necessary in order to properly understand and configure such a firewall.

If that's your case, it is better to stick with the Windows Firewall. Because if you install an outbound firewall and then when presented with all those prompts, whether to allow or not an application to connect to the Internet, you don't understand what they mean or what should you do, you'll just end up hitting the "OK" or "Allow" button for everything that pops up and at the end of the day you'll find yourself having more needlessly open ports than you would have had if you stuck with the Windows Firewall.

That's a danger especially, for someone directly connected to the Internet (i.e. through a modem), not through a router as you are. But as I said you're somewhat protected by the NAT (and router firewall if enabled) as it is now.

Anyway if you still want to install and learn how to use a full system firewall, my personal favorite and long-time friend is Comodo. But you can choose any of the free solutions ranking in TOP5 here: www.matousec.com

For the other protections that NIS provides, I suggest you obtain and install Windows Defender, and Superantispyware.

(I used to use and recommend Malwarebytes, until during an XP SP3 install it told me that a little DOS batch file I wrote was a "trojan agent". They also added this nasty and annoying little popup telling you (nonstop) that something visited some IP address it doesn't like. So pass this one by.)

The AVG antivirus software from Grisoft is adequate and free. You should also use Spybot S&D, and AdAware for your monthly system checks. (You DO perform those, right?)