To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

File Download Order

Nashnir

Well these suggestions seems a little unnecessary and complicated (maybe), anyway here it is.

1.At this moment we are able to arrange the file download order per torrent. I wish there was an option to that would make torrents download only one file present in them at a time or X files at a time. I believe this would make the Download order option a bit more useful. Frankly I dunno why this feature is there atm. Is it for convenience when manually banning and unbanning files while downloading ?

2. I don't know whether this is possible or not but I thought it is worth a shot. This actually a similar suggestion as above but more on a Global scale. This particular feature would allow the user the to manipulate files like they were individual torrents. Atm we are able to configure the order in which the torrents start download especially when we limit the no. of downloading torrents. This option ( more like a different view is needed to implement this one ) would allow the order the files in each torrents globally.

Eg: Let X be the torrent and Y be files associated with each torrent.

Atm with the file order function for each torrent we can do something like the following.

X1-

• Y2
  • Y1
  • Y3

X2-

• Y3
  • Y2
  • Y1

With the new feature we will be able to do something like

X1-

• Y1

X2-

• Y3

X1-

• Y2

X1-

• Y1

I guess if possible to implement then I guess it is possible to have both features in BitComet but not both functioning at the same time as I believe the second one may conflict with the first. But if the second one was implementable it would serve the function of the first one too.

Well hardly know about programming and other stuff ( other than solving a couple of mathematical problems by writing console programs ) so I wouldn't know whether the above both implementable or not.

I'm really having a hard time understanding what you think it is that BitComet misses now, in that respect.

You already have (since long) the ability to select only individual files of a torrent for download. You have 2 ways for doing that:

1. at the moment when you add the torrent to the tasklist and you are presented with the properties dialog (or anytime latter) you can select which files will be downloaded or not.
  2. after adding the task in the tasklist you can select the Files tab and in there select/deselect any file you wish, for downloading. Furthermore, in there you can prioritize files for download.

These two are apart from the "download order" feature.

You can't make a request for new features in a program if you don't know all its features.

Besides, your example is flawed. Why on Earth would anyone try to download (taking your example into account) two torrents containing the same 3 identical files?

And even if you want to download the 3 files from 2 different torrents, what's to stop you from doing that at the present moment?

The download order feature might come in handy when you download a torrent containing several sequential files and you might want to start using the files without waiting for all of them to be downloaded.

I don't think he meant to imply that the files were identical -- that X1:Y1 and X2:Y1 indicate two completely different files. That part could have been clearer.

Would the programming time to implement this pay off? I doubt this greatly. How often would you use the new feature? I don't think I ever would, one way or another. That's likely true for most people, and if you were to take a poll of most-desired features, this would likely finish near the bottom.

All that means is that there's probably more important things for the developers to work on that we'd almost all like to see first.

@nashnir

its very simple,,its already present in bitcomet,,

in options--task--keep max concurrent downloaading task as 1

now place all ur torrents in order of ur choice,,,select da individual files per torrent which u would lik to download,,then they wil be downloaded in the order u liked n spcific files u preferred,,anything wrong with me???

That's not the same thing. You misunderstand what he wants.

Torrent A contains files a1, a2 and a3. Torrent B contains files b1, b2 and b3

He wants to be able to download:

a1, then

b2, then

a3, then

b1

in that order.

BC won't do that. The closest it will come, even with a D/L task limit of one, is

• download all of the selected files in A simultaneously, then when A finishes
  • download all of the selected files in B simultaneously.

Sorry for the late reply was a little busy.

My suggestion is exactly what kluelos said earlier.

This feature along with restricting the no. of downloads can help a lot. Anyway. I frankly don't have a problem or I doubt many do with how things are atm. Just got an idea in mind so I decided to put it forth.

Sadly the bad example in the first post ruined it all. >.>.