To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

video playback block by codec

ash100

i download items but when i go to play them it displays that i require mirosoft codec but i have all the latest codec installed. som other download ak you to use media player and then media player will not play the file. can anyone help

Downloads that require unusual codecs to view are usually excuses to either make you pay for the codec one way or another, or to load malware onto your system. Or both.

You can usually find warnings about these in the torrent comments. If you find one, it should be reported there too. Hopefully, the site operator will soon be along to delete the torrent and boot the uploader.

grey stupidy is walking a way when you find a problem which you have asked me to do, i like to hit things head on and if i still cant i ask for help the true way to show your brain power i say i will find a way to view the files

thanks

ash

Re-he-he-ally? OK, fire away then.

They say that perseverance is the mother of success.

Therefore I'm sure that those files filled with garbage bits will rearrange themselves internally, into an orderly fashion, so that you can play them. ;)

It might take some time though; just about as much as it would take to a bunch of monkeys sitting in front of a typewriter and hitting the keys, to come up with a Shakespeare play.

But don't you let a little thing like that bring you down. I admire your determination. ;)

While I enjoy a good catfight as well as the next person, I'd like to point out that there may be nothing there to view.

Once upon a time I pursued downloading of one of those proprietary codecs. Really wanted to see that movie.They had me jump through one of those "just accept three of these offers from our sponsors" things, in order to get my codec. I did so, and downloaded my codec. AVG nuked it on the spot. I figured that it was a false positive, told AVG to ignore it, downloaded again, and set down to watch my movie.

It was the wrong movie. Altogether the wrong movie, this one had already been released years ago and I didn't like it then. I went back to the site to complain about this, where I saw the warnings that I hadn't known to look for. This uploader had also uploaded a half-dozen supposedly new movies like this, using that same codec, and being exactly the same length, down to the byte, as the one I downloaded. They were all this same wrong movie, just waiting for suckers like me. Next day he and all of his uploads were gone, but that didn't help me. Oh, and I had been infected. Should have listed to AVG.

I have also seen this scam worked where you get your codec and it does absolutely nothing, and a variant where the download inexplicably fails and keeps failing over and over again.

Who are you gonna complain about that to? They got you to do what they wanted, you don't have a name, even a false one, to complain ABOUT to anyone. They simply don't need to give a flip what happens to you after you've done what they wanted.

hey all

after posting this i have spoken to a lot off people that have been duped with this sort of file it is not one person doing this but large organisation who feel cheated by us downloader for not pay any fee to watch there films.

And this is so wrong as i have learned alot by downloading and gone on to other stuff including a ccna course which i feel i would not have started if downloading was not posible it made me sit at the computer and learn.

at the present i am unemployed and if downloading was not possible i would have gone back to dealing and smoking weed which i have not done for year and half now i have only been out of work for 2 months and it has been a a god send to be able to sit at home without climbing the walls just having some thing to do keeps me of the weed

gray if you read this i want say sorry mate i should have listened to your words of wisdoms

that said when i have money i still by dvd,games and still go to the cinema to watch films but if any one has gone to see "men who stare at goats" at the cinema, i know will feel cheated what a s*** film. but after many trys at downlaoding "avatar" i finally got to see it at home and now want to go to see it on the big screen

thanks to all for feedback but keep posting