To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Accessibility Related - Keyboard Navigation

Diamond

Hello,

I have been using BitComet for some time now and it is a great client. Keep up the good work.

I have one minor accessibility related bug to report.

As of version 1.16, it is no longer possible to navigate into the files listview via the Tab and Shift+Tab keys when the "Files" task information tab is selected. The problem persists in version 1.18. I am running XP Pro Service Pack 3. This is significant to me especially since I am visually impaired and I rely primarily on the keyboard for navigation instead of the mouse.

Thanks and regards.

It is possible to cycle keyboard focus through the various controls in the main window using the Tab and Shift+Tab keys. As of version 1.16, it is no longer possible to place the keyboard focus into the task files listview via this method. The listview is skipped and never receives keyboard focus when navigating using these keys. I'm pretty sure the problem is related to a missing TabStop since I have had experience with this issue before in other applications.

Edited by Diamond (see edit history)

...to place the keyboard focus into the task files listview via this method.

I'm a bit confused as to what do you refer by "task files listview". Is it the Task List pane or the Files tab of the Detailed Info Pane?

Anyway, I'm running v.1.18 right now and by using TAB or SHIFT+TAB the focus cycles between the 3 big sections of the BitComet GUI: the Task List pane, the Favorites pane and the Detailed Info Pane. Once the focus has arrived in the pane you can use the arrow keys to move up and down in the Task List and in the Favorites Pane.

The only place where you can't move vertically but only horizontally (between tabs) is the Detailed Info Pane.

Is this what you're talking about?

I am referring to the Files tab. In versions prior to 1.16, when the Files tab was selected you could use the Tab and Shift+Tab keys to navigate into the pane which displays the list of files for the selected torrent. This is typical behavior and is no longer possible.

It doesn't work for me either.

• Choose the FILES tab in the details pane so it's showing.
  • Have cursor focus in the task list pane.
  • Press [TAB]

Focus should now be in the Details pane, but where's the cursor? It should be in the FILES tab, or somewhere in the details pane, but isn't.

Press the arrow keys. Where's the cursor? You should be highlighting the different files as you move, but you aren't.

You have to mouseclick into the FILES pane first, and NOW you can use the arrow keys to highlight the different files, but you apparently can't get in there without the mouse anymore.

Indeed, the focus cycles between the 3 main panes (Favorites, Task List, Detailed Info Pane) but once it's arrived in the Detailed Info Pane you can only switch horizontally between tabs using the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys.

But you can't descend and navigate into the tab using the UP and DOWN arrow keys.

In version 1.15, pressing the [TAB} key once got you into the details pane, and pressing it again got you inside the (e.g.) files pane. I can see where not having this would be a big drawback for the visually-impaired. Can we get this put back in?

• 2 weeks later...