To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Installation issue

mrklai

Hi guys, I've been using BitComet for a number of years(5+) and have never had an issue until recently. I just reinstalled Windows 7 and can not get BC to install as a program. Though, I can run it from the .zip file, I'd rather have it installed as a normal program. I've downloaded the most recent version and it begins the installation asking to select a language and nothing happens afterwords. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also encountered the same installation problem. I tried BitComet 1.18 and 1.19. Both cannot install. My pc is running windows 7

And I found greywizard pointer and help of no use at all. Yet I see him posting his untested solution here and there :angry: . At least the UAC thing doesnt work for me. It's really annoying.

I also encountered the same installation problem. I tried BitComet 1.18 and 1.19. Both cannot install. My pc is running windows 7

And I found greywizard pointer and help of no use at all. Yet I see him posting his untested solution here and there :angry: . At least the UAC thing doesnt work for me. It's really annoying.

blowwater...about the installation...restart the computer in safemode, or safemode with networking if you haven't saved the download and install it from there, this worked for me.

Y'know, Wiz is a volunteer here, as are we all. We don't get advance copies, or even notice about new OS's from Microsoft, from BitComet, or from anyone. We learn by trying and share our experience.

Bitching about "untested solutions" is more than a little bit out of bounds, don't you think? What have YOU tried? What solutions have YOU found and shared with anyone else? Should others b**** at YOU when they don't work?

@ blowwater: Where in my post do you see the word "solution"?

I've posted a link to a Wiki topic with possible installation problems. Not all installation problems.

It was a suggested topic to look over and it's exactly how mrklai took it, and he came back reporting that this wasn't his case.

If I was offering a solution, I would have moved his thread from Bug Reports to the General section, in the first place.

I have installed several beta and final versions of BitComet on Windows 7 without any problems. Most certainly the developing team has done that too, before releasing them.

I'm not saying that there is no bug. But if there is one, it must be a tricky one, since it doesn't occur in all situations. It may pertain to certain specific Windows account settings or something.

And that type of error cannot be trapped just by using posts of the kind: "the installer doesn't work".

In fact, unlike many other clods complaining about this issue, mrklai is one of the very few (if not the only) who took the time to come back and report anything at all about this.

That's why I was posting it "here and there"; hoping that I will actually find somebody smart enough to test and report back, so that we could be sure before telling the developing team that apparently there is a different issue regarding the installer-Windows 7 relation.

At least we have something to report to the team, now.

And in case you are wondering, you didn't have anything to contribute to that. B)

Y'know, Wiz is a volunteer here, as are we all. We don't get advance copies, or even notice about new OS's from Microsoft, from BitComet, or from anyone. We learn by trying and share our experience.

Bitching about "untested solutions" is more than a little bit out of bounds, don't you think? What have YOU tried? What solutions have YOU found and shared with anyone else? Should others b**** at YOU when they don't work?

The difference is I dont label myself as BitComet support team like yours :rolleyes: . So why should I try out all possibility and find out solutions for BitComet? Be calm and fair! Testing is the developer's job, not mine or any other users'. And the truth is, your BitComet 1.18 and 1.19 installer do not work at least for my combination here i.e with windows 7 and default UAC setting

@ blowwater: Where in my post do you see the word "solution"?...

I did contribute to this forum by reaffirming the installation issue with Win7 as highlighted by mrklai. Not all users out there are currently running Win7 and they could not have tested this combination out if they were running other OS. And I could have remained silence never saying a word. What would have been the outcome then? Mrklai woud have thought that he was only alone out there with an isolated instance and ended up still confusing if the installation issue had got something to do with his hardware/os setup which is not true.

It's not the fact that you reported it as not working or that you complained, that bothers. That's natural and expected. Even encouraged.

It's the attitude.

We (the staff of the forum) are not part of the developing team.

And yes, the software may have bugs occasionally; nevertheless, we like it. And we do appreciate the work the team put into it.

Especially, given the fact that the software if free.

You say that it's the developing team's job to test the software. Well, they did that. If you had read my previous post you would have seen that I installed several versions of BitComet, without encountering any issue. So, did dozens of other users (if you take the time to browse the forum you'll see that).

You can't seriously expect that the team would test the program on every possible hardware/software configuration, you can think of.

Especially, not for the amount of money you paid for the software.

Here's some flash news: Nobody owes you anything.

Therefore this sense of entitlement is not supported by anything at all.

Furthermore, just FYI, there are lots of other commercial applications which have very large developing teams, powerful logistics and all the money to support them, and which are still released with lots of bugs, which are corrected later.

Otherwise, your Windows OS wouldn't download updates, twice a week and there wouldn't be zillions of patches for most of the applications out there.

And yes, many (if not most) of them rely on a beta-testing phase with end users reporting errors or misbehavior in the application, in order to trap and correct bugs.

Because there is no team, no matter how large or well prepared that will always, find all bugs in a program. If you've written at least a minimal software application from scratch, in your lifetime, you'll know that.

Especially, freeware applications rely on their end user communities to help reporting and pinpointing bugs.

However, if you feel that this doesn't suit your higher standards, you should feel free to use any other client out there. There are plenty of them and nobody is forcing this one on you.

GreyWizard

1. Freeware means bitcomet is "competing" in the freeware category. No body force anybody to do anything. But one reason why developers spent hours of coding and testing in this category is because of personal satifaction derived from finishing the product. So you were right that we never owe each other. But I never brought out this topic. I dont know why would you choose to highlight this type thing. And If we dont owe each other, then on what basis dare you commented my attitue openly like that?

2. Your avatar labeled as Support Team. So others and myself would expect at least some kind of standard or quality in the advices given by you all. Simply dumping out useless pointers and unverified suggestion is as good as giving out poison. You wasted my time and others who come into this forum to look for solution. Its really frustrated I saw your same post here and there whenever the word installation appears. I can tell you they were of no use to the problem I encountered.

3. You can dont like me. But you have no right to comment my attitue. Instead of wasting energy on this type of personal attack, why dont you work with the developer to come out a working solution.

Oh, you're so wrong!

1. It's true that you don't bring up the word "owe" anywhere in your posts, but every phase you lay down reeks of entitlement. The reason why you can't think why I commented on your attitude must be, probably, that you were born royalty and you actually really believe that the world revolves around you. ;)

BitComet is "competing" with other clients only by conjuncture. So it happens that there are many BitTorrent clients out there and that's a very good thing too.

But I don't think that anybody in the dev team set "competing" or "winning" as their final goal. As you yourself say, the programmers of free software do it for the pleasure of doing it in the first place.

Granted yes, a large user base and positive appreciations are a stimulant and a desirable feedback but the real passionate programmer will still care for his "creation" and tend to it, even at times when the sky is not so clear.

BitComet had its times of "prosecution" when lots of people were barking at it, but it made it just fine. For the specific reason that the programmers didn't seek or take to heart too much, "results" and "loosing" or "winning". They just pursued their goal of making it better.

2. Again, for those with a bad case of cataract, my pointers weren't useless. The very reason for which that specific topic was added in the Wiki was that a great many users stumbled upon installation issues related to account/UAC settings.

If you'd have spent at least a month of your life as support staff for any software product you can think of, you would know for a fact (iron-clad I might add) that the great mass of end users (about 85% percent) who come asking for support, have an astounding ability of missing very obvious facts. Therefore, you always have to start by asking them to verify and report basic settings.

Except for the very happy and rare case when they give out all the proper details, in the first place.

Therefore, since the initial post of this thread didn't give any specific details or say that its author had observed the settings outlined in that topic (and still had ran into installation problems) I had to point the user to that first. If that wasn't his problem, it would have ruled out this possible reason for his installation issues and he could have come back reporting that (which he did). But if that was the problem that would have solved the case for him as it did for many others.

I never wasted your time, since I wasn't a replying to you in the first place. You just jumped in somebody else's thread and in the end literally hijacked it. (The very fact that you consider this your thread awes me and advocates for what I was underlining at the beginning of point 1).)

The wasted time is on our side, every single time when we have to answer to user posts which give no detail whatsoever about the issue at hand and leave us guessing. Thus, instead of being able to work toward a solution or to report a bug to the team we have to write several additional posts just to pull the information out of the user's mouth with the clamp.

The initial post of the user who started this thread didn't have a lot of detail, either. Usually posts lacking the minimum amount of required details should be dismissed by default and end up in the Incomplete and Deleted section (the Read This Before Posting announcement is visible on top of every help section on this forum).

However, this one post had a quality which seems to be entirely foreign to you: it was civil and polite.

Therefore, instead of dismissing it, I naturally chose a step-by-step approach to it: I gave him that link.

If it had solved his problem it would have been OK. If not, he could have come back with more detail (which he did).

The very fact that he verified that the conditions described in that topic are met is considerably more detail.

Now at least we have a possible bug to report back to the team.

FYI nobody's "supposed" to know of bugs in a program. That's not a proof of quality of service. That's why they're called "bugs", because they're glitches in programming which escaped the attention of the programmer. If anybody knew about them, they would have been fixed in the first place.

On that note, I wish you good luck on asking Microsoft for a refund on grounds of all the hot-fixes they release monthly for your Windows copy (that's irrefutable evidence of bugs in the software, isn't it?).

3. I have every right to comment on your attitude. I happen to be a moderator on this forum and like it or not, moderating is one of my attributions. Moderating includes, cooling down those who walk with their boots on, in everybody else's life.

Since you adopt this caustic and demanding attitude with the staff, I can only begin to think what your stance would be towards other users of this forum, should anyone dare to "cross your path".

Therefore, I'll repeat it again: If you don't like the software or the service we provide, we'll happily refund you all your hard earned cash, which you paid both for the application and for the support service.

And then you can go rant at somebody else.

As you said , you are only a moderator. Who do you think you are? You have the right to edit this thread IF I went off track or I violated any forum rule but I didnt't, right? Other than this moderator duty, you have NO RIGHT to anyhow commented on my attitude just because I said your pointer is of no help to my problem.

The whole thread I said was your pointer is useless to me and it didnt solved my problem. This is a fact. But you want a face.

You then ballooned and exaggerated the whole thing. Mentioned unncessarily so many other topics like attitute, my contribution to this forum, software testing, commerical/free product, thread hijack, who owes who blah blah blah.... What have things like this got to do with you. My personal life and contribution were none of your business. Do I need anything just to post a bug report in this section titled BitComet Bug Reports? You ask others did you went too far too much? I think nobody will agree with you.

All in all, you need to mention so many things uncessarily was because you dont like what I said about your posted pointers.

The forum rule were here. Do I need you to mention one by one to me simply because I posted a bug report? If I were the moderator, and you greywizard brought up so many unncessarily and irrelevant topics, challenged other forum user about their contribution to Bitcomet and forum etc etc, I would have removed you first right away.

Well, I for one, certainly agree. You've gone completely off the rails and your attitude sucks. You seem to think you can kvetch about Wiz daring to post a suggestion that doesn't work out for you personally. That is very wrong, and you yourself are very wrong for criticizing anyone on that basis.

You're also kinda dumb, so let me explain to you that if you jump all over somebody who offers a possible solution, then others who might have possible solutions won't offer them because they think you will jump all over them, too. Nobody wants to put up with that, the more so that it is absolutely unmerited and utterly self-defeating.

You said, earlier, that it's up to the developers to test the product. Fine, but they never have, not for many years, and this whole community of BC users helping users, gathering information and sharing it, sprang up largely in reaction to that. We all found our way here seeking help, and some of us hung around or were asked to hang around to help other users. We are all of us, unpaid volunteers. We do not work for BitComet, and we sure do not owe YOU anything. So jumping all over Wiz for trying to help you, is awesomely boorish and mannerless. It makes you a world-class jerk.

I *AM* a moderator, and am thinking very strongly about removing you because of your misbehaviour. And yes, it is because we dislike, very much, "what you said about Wiz's posted pointers". It was uncivil, pointless, and as I said, an extremely stupid thing to say because it discourages others from wanting to risk getting involved with you or offering you help lest you jump all over them for it. You were clearly in the wrong and out of bounds. The question is, can you admit that, suck it up and learn to behave? If not, spare us the trouble of deleting your account and this topic, and simply depart in favor of some forum which doesn't think that defying a moderator is a rock-headed thing to do.

I do have the power to enforce that, and I will.

Now maybe somebody else will be foolish enough to try to help you and risk your wrath, so discuss your technological issues, by all means, but THIS subject is closed.

"Bad attitude" IS against this forum's rules.

Standard Forum Manners are expected: # # Flaming is not welcome here. Keep it civil and polite. You reap what you sow. Criticizing BitComet Staff, the Main Site, the Forum staff or the Forum itself, without any constructive arguments (i.e., just to rag on or b**** at us or at BitComet) will not be tolerated. Feedback or 'constructive argument' is appreciated; feedback from BitComet users is greatly appreciated.

Where is your argument? on what basis do you criticize? You only say "You shouldn't have posted that solution" that's the main idea of your rant.

How would you have answered? Would that have been more helpful? Are you sure? What if you would have been wrong and the one you only wanted to help would have just arrogantly throw it in your face as you did?

With what are you contributing to this thread? You say "I assured him that he is not alone" That's what Wiz did by posting a link to a FAQ (frequently asked questions). How is your attitude helpful? Are the readers of this thread compelled to put up with that?

The one who started becoming personal is the one who got an attitute problem here. Look back the log.

As of post #5, everyting is regarding the installation issue.

Then at #6, kluelos started becoming personal and mentioned about an off topic word - bitching. This is what I really called "thread hijack". Not only you never respect user like me, but you yourself also violated forum rule. You could have remained neutral and kept to the issue itself i.e. installation and positive suggestion like what the owner of this thread mrklai did.

I accidentally stepped on a dog's tail. But you moderators never stopped byting back.

I never say anything and never had any attitue problem. Its all out of your greywizard's and kluelos's own imaagination. Until you guys started personal and mentioned irrelvant words like bitching, attitute, and even challenged me by asking me what is my contribution etc?. With your kind of sarcastic comments, do you think I should still remained silence here? It needs two hand to clap.

Personally, I feel it is perfectly alright to say anything as it is pertaining to the installation issue here. But clearly someone has violated this rule. Admit it, pointers dont help means no help. I was not against you greywizard or anybody. No need to comment my attitute.

And yes, you and kluelo were the moderators. You have the right to edit whatever you feel you dont like. But you have no right to insult any forum users wisdom and commented my attitute, challenged my contribution, etc etc

You called Wiz's approach as posting a link to FAQ useless with a judging tone. How on earth was Wiz supposed to know that? By fortune telling?

If all this is not personal to you, you need to apologize for that and everyone will be happy, and we'll all get back to helping you solving your problem, and possibly find and report a bug that will be quickly fixed in the next version by the developers as they always have.

Respect here is not imposed by registering, it is earned by treating the ones around you as you want yourself to be treated.

The one who started becoming personal is the one who got an attitute problem here. Look back the log.

As of post #5, everyting is regarding the installation issue.

No. Post #3, your first post, was when you went off the rails, with this remark,

You started becoming personal with your first post in this thread. You are "the one who got an attitute problem here", as we see from "looking back the log". This is why you have been warned and censured, with further posts subject to moderator approval.

It's up to you to either figure out why that was unacceptable, or simply leave. Further infraction will result in account suspension anyway.

At any rate, poor mrklai's original point was solved quite a while back. He also bravely suggested the solution to you -- an act of sheer courage. This topic is closed.