To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

peer-to peer connections only through proxy

SeekerPD

Without the main connection to be leaked as well, downloading only through proxy, because mostly that's what proxy is being used for, for not loading the main channel and letting traffic to go away (traffic through proxy might be free).

Please, do add this feature.

Nope, it beats me, as well.

As far as I'm concerned I didn't understand any part of it. Are you a native English speaker?

If yes try to redact in a more elaborated form your idea like you'd be speaking to someone who hasn't got a clue what goes on through your mind.

If not, please find someone who speaks English well, so s/he can do that in your stead.

I'd do it already, but unfortunately I can't now edit my op-post here.

And come on, stop messing around, you got me well enough to get what I mean, know what I mean?

I want Bitcomet to use "peer for peer" only through proxy, so traffic from my main channel won't leak away, assume that traffic through proxy is free and you can use it at max.

Direct connection is with which I'm posting this post, and there's another connection to the internet, supplemental, - proxy. I don't want my traffic from direct connection to be leaked away or to be used by bitcomet, understand know?

Or is it already that way? If I set up proxy at options, I will download files from other peers only through the preset proxy?

Edited by SeekerPD (see edit history)

I'd do it already, but unfortunately I can't now edit my op-post here.

Try clicking the "edit" button at the bottom of the message.

If you do edit the message, people might not notice the changed version. Many people scan for new messages, but there is no scan for changed messages, so changes can be overlooked.

And come on, stop messing around, you got me well enough to get what I mean, know what I mean?

Sorry, but no, we don't get what you mean.

You're pretty bad at explaining yourself clearly, and your diction is just awful. You really need to work on that. Perhaps you have a friend who can help you express your question?

I want Bitcomet to use "peer for peer"

You mean, "peer to peer"? I've never heard of "peer for peer" and don't know what you mean by that.

only through proxy,

If you mean that you want to use BitComet with a proxy, this capability has long existed. Configure the proxy in your options. There's a subtab under "Connections" for just that purpose.

so traffic from my main channel won't leak away,

What? You'll have to explain that very clearly, as I have no earthly idea what you mean by "leak away".

assume that traffic through proxy is free and you can use it at max.

An application will always try to maximize its traffic over whatever connection it is using. It's up to the connection to impose the limits it wants.

Direct connection is with which I'm posting this post, and there's another connection to the internet, supplemental, - proxy. I don't want my traffic from direct connection to be leaked away or to be used by bitcomet, understand know?

No, I don't know.

Did you mean, "know", as in, "do you understand now?". If so, you need to work hard on your diction.

A proxy is not an an additional or supplemental connection. It is a computer to which you connect, which acts as a forwarding service, appearing in your name, place and stead as the apparent origin point of your traffic. Responses to your traffic are similarly forwarded to it by you.

Because the proxy DOES appear to be the point of origin for your traffic, there is the problem of new traffic (that is, traffic that is not in reply to traffic of your own). That new traffic, though intended for you, gets set to the apparent origin, namely the proxy. The proxy is not you, and does not know that this unasked-for incoming traffic being sent to it is actually intended for you.

Or is it already that way? If I set up proxy at options, I will download files from other peers only through the preset proxy?

Proxy servers serve hundreds of customers. The server has no way to determine which of those hundreds, this new, unsolicited incoming traffic is supposed to go to. It can not forward that traffic to you for just that reason.

However, bittorrent is peer-to-peer, so other peers will send such unsolicited traffic. If you attempted to connect solely via proxy, that traffic would never reach you. The effect would be the same as having no listen port, which would greatly slow down all of your transfers. This is an irretrievable situation without a solution.

BitComet cannot therefore be configured to use a proxy connection for its peer-to-peer traffic, though it can optionally use a proxy connection for its communications with the tracker (which communications are, after all, traditional web server and response traffic in nature.)

I have to guess here, but I'm guessing that you don't mean "proxy" at all, that this is just a word you heard somewhere and don't understand. Diction is all about which word to use. If you say "round" when you mean "square" or "red" when you mean "green", expect confusion to follow. This is why we have lists of words and their meanings -- "diction - aries" to assist in choosing the right word.

I'm guessing that you mean you have a second network connection and that you want to direct all BitComet-involved traffic to that connection rather than to your primary network connection. Is that correct?

I'm guessing that you mean you have a second network connection and that you want to direct all BitComet-involved traffic to that connection rather than to your primary network connection. Is that correct?

Yes, I know what proxy is, I just tried to explain simple, because you hardly get what I'm saying.

And why is it impossible to direct all traffic from peers to me through proxy? I mean, I can download from http sites through this proxy, and I understand in bitcomet or in trackers overall are being used a different protocol, but there must be a way when a http proxy can be used for "peer to peer" connections.

And I can't edit my first post of this thread, there's no button edit whereas I will be able to edit this post after a while.

You can connect to a HTTP server because it is waiting for incoming HTTP connections via TCP (it is listening on the port 80). Yes, it was deliberately set up for this purpose. And everything you get from a HTTP server is a response for a request you sent.

Your pc may be setup properly to receive incoming, unsolicited TCP connections, from other peers like yourself. But your proxy is not, so it will ignore the traffic you didn't ask for, like a firewall. And this way you'll be limited to the connections you start (and the other peers may be having the same problem, ignoring you) and you will most likely have very low speeds.

There aren't many out there, that do the job as advertised as far as P2P goes. You'll usually have to pay for that, since it has to be set up specifically for BitTorrent traffic and the likes of it and to forward incoming connections to your address.

You can try iPredator, from TPB or search for similar ones.

BitComet routes by default all traffic through the proxy (when a proxy is set) unless you check any of the two options below on the same page. What my colleagues were explaining you is that, if the proxy server isn't set up specifically to forward incoming connections, you'll only be able to download in "no listening" mode, since nobody else will be able to contact you on your advertised listening port.

Vasy, greywizard, thx, I take it, a http proxy simply can't receive incoming connections through bittorent protocol, am I right? Unless it's specified.. at its options.

So even if I was a high-skilled pc user, I wouldn't be able to use http proxy for downloading files via bittorent protocol, right? Absolutely no way?

What about iPredator that you suggested, can it "trick it"? And let me to download through http proxy?

Also, can you make it clear, if the proxy is set at bitcomet's options, that means my main (?) connection / access to the internet won't be used by bitcomet?

Edited by SeekerPD (see edit history)

OK, I haven't used proxies that much, so I don't want to give you any incomplete or erroneous info on this. AFAIK, basic HTTP proxies respond to and intercept/forward traffic based on reading the HTTP headers and create TCP connections using the CONNECT HTTP command. So, if the proxy is set to act ONLY as a HTTP proxy, it will probably cache web pages, and forward HTTP requests and responses, but that's the extent it goes: just HTTP traffic. It doesn't understand other protocols.

This doesn't mean that there aren't machines that can run multiple protocol proxy programs.

SOCKS on the other hand is a standalone protocol that uses a handshake to create any type of "connection" that uses a pair of sockets and it runs on a lower layer of the OSI Network model (layer 5) so it's application-layer protocol-independent (meaning that it can carry virtually any application protocol running on top of TCP or UDP.

I repeat, this is my partial, limited knowledge of proxies, since I haven't studied them that much and haven't gotten yet to dig that deep into all that stuff.

Ipredator, is more than a proxy service and different. It's a VPN anonymizer service. What it does is, it creates an encrypted VPN connection between you and the VPN server, any it gives you a new public anonymous IP address which your computer will be using in negotiating connections with other peers (since the VPN connection creates a virtual network adapter on your machine which your OS will be using to connect to the Internet for as long a s the VPN connection is active). Actually, your PC will use that IP for ANY type of traffic, but the subject at hand is BitTorrent traffic.

Of course all the connections (outbound and inbound) will be tunneled through the VPN server (using a PPTP tunnel, if I remember right) and since they claim that they don't keep any logs, this is supposed to be quite secure, as the connections can't be traced back to you.

But the VPN server is transparent to everybody else, they will see just the new IP of the VPN Connection that the service gave you (as opposed to the IP of the proxy, in case of an anonymizer proxy).

Furthermore, this will make it possible for you to have any number of open listening ports, you wish (granted that the firewall on your machine has been configured for the new connection, too) just like on any regular connection.

I (we) still don't know what you mean by your "main" connection, since you didn't bother to read the " Read This Before Posting" topic on top of this page, and therefore we have no idea what your setup is. Do you have a "secondary" one?

The proxy setup in BitComet pertains to tracker communication only, not to the bittorrent protocol communications between peers, which are unaffected by the setting.

BitComet will not do what you want as far as using a second network connection. This is primarily a Windows issue, not a Bitcomet issue.

You basically can't reroute traffic at the application level. You effectively can't tell an application to use NIC 2 and not NIC 1.

Actually, kluelos, I don't know how it worked in the older versions of BC but in the latter ones, BitComet is supposed to proxy all of its traffic by default.

If you look on the Proxy page in Options, you will see that there is a checkbox which says "Don't use proxy for peer-to-peer connections". But that checkbox is NOT checked by default, which means that by default once you set a proxy, BitComet will send ALL of its traffic through that proxy.

At least, that's what seems logical, since we don't have any explicit detailed info on this from the team, in the Wiki.

VPN.

I (we) still don't know what you mean by your "main" connection, since you didn't bother to read the " Read This Before Posting" topic on top of this page, and therefore we have no idea what your setup is. Do you have a "secondary" one?

No, I need to set the specific proxy, not just "any".

Concerning "main connection", I just don't know how to call.. ehm, when I don't use any kind of proxy, and access the internet, I just use my default / main connection, through my ethernet modem. "secondary one" is a proxy. That's it, maybe you after realizing what I meant, will help me to learn the proper word for what I wanted to say?

BitComet is supposed to proxy all of its traffic by default.

If you look on the Proxy page in Options, you will see that there is a checkbox which says "Don't use proxy for peer-to-peer connections". But that checkbox is NOT checked by default, which means that by default once you set a proxy, BitComet will send ALL of its traffic through that proxy.

Yes, it seems so, also does it mean that bitcomet can route traffic through http proxy between peers? Or is it just my imagination ... :rolleyes:

Well, it certainly wouldn't work for the free proxies in the world, for the reasons already discussed. I wasn't aware of the change, but then I don't use that section, ever.

You would effectively need a dedicated proxy, which forwarded all of the unsolicited traffic it received, to you. Then replies would have to be sent back to the proxy to be forwarded onwards. That obviously would not work if there were other users of the proxy.

A single-user proxy would be a pretty unlikely situation. But, as you say, Wiz, it's undocumented.

Well, you'd be definitely still using your main connection, even if you route your traffic through a proxy. The "connections" that concern your computer are made through the aid of physical ports (e.g. a LAN connection or a wireless one, made through a LAN or wireless adapter/network card) or of virtual ones (e.g. a VPN adapter).

There are indeed, people who own multiple simultaneous independent connections to the Internet, so this is what we wanted to clear about your setup.

OTOH a proxy server is a stand-alone machine to which you connect still using your available Internet connection.

As far as YOU are concerned you are still using the same Internet connection, using the same IP as before. It is only the hosts to which you connect through the proxy that will see another machine (the IP of the proxy) in your stead, since the proxy impersonates your machine in the eyes of any host to which you connect through it.

As I've explained you above, it is only a VPN connection which creates what you speak of, an additional virtual network adapter on your PC which it will use to connect to the Internet (assuming that you use the VPN to connect to the Internet) and in this case even your PC will use a different IP from the usual ones it uses (the one of the virtual adapter).

...also does it mean that bitcomet can route traffic through http proxy between peers?

Frankly, for this one we'll have to wait for an answer from the team through Lucy, since when this option was introduced it wasn't documented so I don't want to give you false info.

However, just as kluelos pointed out again, even if this could happen, the proxy probably still wouldn't forward incoming connections, so you would still be running in "No listening port" mode.

Why would you want to do that?

• 1 month later...

(Spam urls elided - mod)