To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

What "EXP" stands for..

ristvan70

Hi everybody!

I just started to use BitComet some weeks ago. No major isues so far, but there is one thing I don't understand and it concerns me a bit. There is a slow moving blue timer-look-a-like bar at the left bottom corner of my BC windows, right under my nickname. Its starts with "Exp" followed by a blue line, and at the very end there is percentage number, which is actually 68%, but first when I started to use BC it was only 0. What does it means? Does it warning me that I'm doing something "wrong"? That I'm not seeding enough...or what?

I've attached a screenshot about the mentioned blue bar...

Thanks' for help!

post-59448-12901513796681.jpg

People do obsess over this. The entire system really has no meaning.

The blue bar itself indicates how "far" you have to go to reach the next "rank". You can read about this in the Wiki FAQ linked at the top of the page. You can thing of EXP as meaning "experience points" (as in a role-playing game).

There is no credible evidence that having a higher rank and all that goes with it, will increase your download speed even a little, on the average torrent.

For the rank to have any effect, there would have to be large numbers of late-version BitComet users who all have LT-Seeding activated, in the swarm for the particular torrent you are downloading. This is very rarely the case in the West.

There would also have to not be sufficient other clients in the swarm to max out your connection with regular downloads. (Or you're misconfigured so that they aren't maxing you out.)

Actually the most sensible thing is to simply ignore the contents of that box, or not to log in at all. High rank and US$3.50 will get you a grande latte almost anywhere.

• 7 years later...

For the rank to have any effect, there would have to be large numbers of late-version BitComet users who all have LT-Seeding activated, in the swarm for the particular torrent you are downloading. This is very rarely the case in the West.

I just seen it only once ! Multiple LD seeds let me download  a file at very high speed . I never seen this before , and Im using BC for the ages now