To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

pause button in bitcomet is needed urgent

shresharma

Dear sir,

uploaders would greatly appreciate the fact that if a pause button is added in bitcomet this will affect in lot of many ways

1. information on bitcomet and other browsing activity whether a user is logged on or not how many hours does he upload/download in total is his internet usage and scope etc...

2. user can download other tasks such youtube video without exiting/stopping bitcomet and restarting the bitcomet again..

3.user can download other files/programs/youtube videos etc and in the meantime he can also upload/seed which is not needed in youtube/other files/programs so there is greater seed/upload which other bitcomet/torrent downloaders/peers need

thanking you

shresharma@gmail.com

Edited by shresharma (see edit history)

There is no "pause" function in bittorrent. You are either transferring, or you are not, but there is no intermediate, or "ready" state. Early versions of BitComet did indeed have a pause function, but its action was identical to "stop".

When you stop a bittorrent transfer, it means only that your client is no longer accepting data. The data is still flowing in, from other clients. This continues until those clients time-out waiting for your acknowledgment of what they've sent. Then they use another connection and transfer to/from somebody else.

There's nothing to be done about this, without a widely-adopted change in the protocol. That's unlikely to happen, as no-one really sees a general pressing need for it. The existing protocol works well enough.

However, you do not have to exit BitComet. You can merely stop all of the tasks. It will take some time, between twenty minutes to an hour, for all of the incoming traffic to cease though. You don't have to wait for it to stop before you can use your bandwidth for other things.

You can use the existing controls to "stop all tasks", then "resume uploading all" which will result in your seeding tasks running while stopping the leeching tasks. Generally though, there aren't enough leeching tasks to make it inconvenient to stop them individually -- there's usually only one or two of them.

Sir,

about your explanation"When you stop a bit torrent transfer, it means only that your client is no longer accepting data. The data is still flowing in, from other clients. This continues until those clients time-out waiting for your acknowledgment of what they've sent. Then they use another connection and transfer to/from somebody else."

But sir how do you know that data is still flowing and moniter the activities of the end user localy if i do not know the data is still flowing. Is there any way to stop this data flow without exiting bit comet?

Do I will have to wait for 20 minutes to hours to regain full bandwidth?

Do I have to wait till my task is finished to seed,to use my spare bandwidth for upload which is basically free for most other time. I just want to upload without download

Can these : other extra features(ANY OTHER EXTRA FEATURES LIKE FIREFOX ADDONS) be made available as supplementary addon after installing BitComet, I think any extra feature as addon would be hit and be appreciated by many users of BitComet?

Whats the use?

Answer: since all the bandwidth is used in bitcomet torrent a browser hangs for when using the bitcomet torrent, a addon browser would be greatly appreciated that works on the same bandwith and connection that torrent has acquired without regaining or loosing (exit/stop) by BitComet side by side (working in conjunction with BitComet).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE

shrejisharma@gmail.com

shresharma@gmail.com

Edited by shresharma (see edit history)

You can monitor incoming traffic to your system, even if it doesn't get to the application it was aimed at.

Bittorrent traffic comes from other computers just like yours, owned by people just like you, with connections just like yours. When you stop your client, there is no process or procedure or central control that can instantly tell all those other people to stop sending to you. A peer continues to try to do just that.

The peer sends a packet, then waits for an acknowledgment (which you never send now). The peer waits, then tries again. This continues for a few more tries, then the peer decides you're not going to respond, so it stops sending. The process doesn't take that long, just a few minutes.

Meantime, another peer is looking for other connections. It consults the list that it got from the tracker a few minutes before you decided to quit. Its list says you're interested in this torrent, so that peer now tries to contact you. It sends packets to you, but you don't respond. It too eventually gives up. Repeat many times.

Every peer out there must obtain an updated list from the tracker, one that doesn't have you on it, before the last of the incoming traffic actually dies out. That can take an hour, or even more before the last of it stops. Most of the traffic stops quickly, but it's going to continue to trickle in for a long time. Whether you "pause" or "stop", the system behaves exactly the same.

That doesn't significantly affect your bandwidth. It doesn't affect your upstream bandwidth at all. We know this because this is how the bittorrent protocol works. It's not a mystery, it was designed and built this way.

As has been answered elsewhere, a browser can happily co=exist with BitComet provided you've configured BitComet for your system properly.

• 2 months later...

There is no "pause" function implemented in the bittorrent protocol, nor is it possible to do that.

BitComet used to have a pause button many versions ago, but what it did is indistinguishable from the "Stop" button. Since toolbar space is valuable, there was no point in duplication.

Going back to the previous members suggestion. The English is a bit difficult to understand clearly, but I think what they were touching on is developing a cometbird/firefox extension that can control bitcomet's bandwidth usage, throttling it back when actively browsing, then allowing bitcomet to run at max levels when the browser is idle.

I think this is a good idea, but isn't directly related to "pause" button. I'll make a new topic regarding this.