To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

the download is inconsistent.

deshpande

i use:

BC 1.26, win XP SP3.

i have a router, ADSL.

i am downloading a torrent and it is very active torrent too, there are 3000+ peers. when the download starts it is fine and it reaches max download speed(my connection max download speed is ~230-250KBps, i.e, bandwidth ~2 Mbitps), then after some time it drops to 0KBps,stays 0 for some time then again goes to max speed. Also the no. of peers connected(i.e last coloum in BC seed/peer[all] ) varies from 58/60 - 20/32 when the speed falls to 0 and goes back to 58/60 when it again reaches max speed.

So, i think there is a problem with me establishing connection with peers.....also it happens to some of the torrents, not all torrents that i download.

Edited by deshpande (see edit history)

The usual cause of a bandwidth drop to zero is that your upload speed for this task is too slow. That can be because you are running too many tasks at once, or because you have lowered your upload speed cap.

You must give in order to get. If your upload speed is too slow, you're not giving. After a short while, all of your connections will stop giving you pieces because you don't give anything back. They go find a better partner to trade with. When you get a new set of connections, they too eventually choke you and drop you in favor of better partners.

In any event, you need to rule this out as a cause. You should make sure that you are uploading a bare minimum of 8 KB/s on each download task, and preferably at least 1/3 of your tested upload speed.

You don't mention how long any of this takes, so I'm having to guess about that.

no, i have set upload limit as 30KBps....(and max upload bandwidth is 55-60 KBps ). It is true that when the task was running the upload rate was something around 2KBps though the limit i set was 30KBps,it is not my fault...nobody is taking it from me.

As i said before no. of seeders are very large(58 out of 60 are seed).

Also this was the only task running.

after this task the same problem was there in another task,which i started after the completion of the first task.

could that be the problem with my router or modem or pc that the connection is not maintained.

Edited by deshpande (see edit history)

Well, it could be a connection issue as well. Or any number of other different motives.

But you need to determine that yourself.

For instance, when the speed drops to 0kB/s can you still access the Internet from any other application (browser, ping a server or whatever will prove that you still have connection)?

If you can't even get a reply to a ping command, then obviously the connection is down. Checking the LEDs of the modem/router or whatever equipments you have may reveal that as well.

If you still have connection, then looking to the Peers tab does still reveal any connected peers?

When this issue occurs, is your status light still green?

What type of port-forwarding do you use (i.e. automatic or manual)?

the connection is there & i have net access ....the DHT is connected,listen port open.

i am trying to add screen shot but it is not accepting it.

It shows below{near the attach this file button

"Used 9.48MB of your 10MB global upload quota (Max. single file size: 535.39K)"}.There are only 3 posts here.....

how can i add the screen shot of the problem?

That limit is not per topic but absolute. You've uploaded 8-9 images in another topic, each almost 1MB in size. They were redundant to the topic anyway so I've deleted them; you should be able to upload now.

As a piece of advice, when uploading images on the Web make sure they're using a compressed format (JPEG or PNG) and that you lowered the resolution. These two simple operations can reduce a photo several MB in size to a meager 100-200KB. Nobody is going to print the images you upload or use extreme high zoom on them so they don't need all that redundant data you're trying to upload.

A screenshot shouldn't typically exceed 250-300KB at most, while preserving perfect visible features. That is why the limit is imposed in the first place, to protect the forum server's storing capacity from unexperienced users trying to load big uncompressed files and at the same time to prevent wasting the other users' time while waiting for your big file to load in their browser.

ya, sorry in one of my previous post i had uploaded same screen shot many times one after the other....my mistake but that was not on purpose. After i posted that reply i tried to delete the unwanted repeated screen shot but i couldn't...thanks for deleting.

Anyway coming to the problem:

the connection is there & i have net access ....the DHT is connected,listen port open.

May be as you said upload speed could be the problem as it was only 2KBps,but still if most of the peers connected are seed and also there lots of LT seeds then this is bound to happen.

i added 2 screen shots. You can see clearly in the screen shot The floating window how the download increases and drops continuously also in one shot there just 8 peers and the other has 40 peers.

post-58260-12979948133251.jpg

post-58260-12979948389848.jpg

Hmm. In both of those torrents, your upload speed is zero. However that came about, it makes you a very undesirable trade partner, which would soon bring your download speed to near zero as peers decide not to spend any more bandwidth on you.

So the question becomess, why is your upload speed zero?

ya, i agree....if you see the floating window carefully the upload has been taking place in small patches and also amount of upload is very less.

I have set the upload speed to unlimited and downloaded the similar(not same though) content from another website still the same thing happens.

We're dealing with multiple people and multiple situations, all in our spare time. The more you can help us by making sure every little detail is nailed down and reminding us beforehand, the easier our jobs are. So, actually saying, "Yes, I tried it that way before, and now I have tried it as you suggested but saw no change", really does help.

Granted, you DID say that before, but ... multiple people and multiple situations all asking for help, and we don't always carefully re-read everything every day. OTOH none of us gets paid to do this.

The question still remains though: why is your upload speed at zero in those screenshots? IT should not be unless you've set it to be so, but that will definitely kill your download speed.

Indeed, you can try that for yourself by setting your global max upload speed to 1 KB/s (Don't set it to 0, that means "unlimited"). You'll find this exact situation happening before long, that your download speed drops to zero because nobody wants to trade with you. So this is where you should focus your investigation.