To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

MPCStar 5.0 - Zoom feature

window size memory  

1. 1. are you in favor of "fixed size"-memory feature?

• aye
    • no

Dear MPCStar Devs.

i like your player very much but now has come a point at which it will be decided whether or not i will keep using your handy player.

i love MPCStar ever since i first tried it out of curiosity and it has gone to replace my other standard players (VLC and WMP). But you have got to make one important change or i will stop using it.

in the versions before 5.0 when i opened a video, the player window size would change to the original resolution of the video playing. and it would do so until you change the zoom mode to "fixed size". but every time i close the mpcstar, i had to change to "fixed size" every time anew or it would change the window size of the player again. now, i hated that but at least the player memorized the window size in between restarts so that i had to chance to preserve the window size by selecting "fixed size" before i played a video.

now the real problem: since version 5.0 imo (definitely not before 4.7), not only does the player STILL not memorize "fixed size"-mode, it doesn't even remember the window size anymore. every time i close mpcstar and restart it, the window size is reset. THIS HAS TO STOP.

as i play alot of HD-videos which are surprisingly fluent on mpcstar, the video size is constantly bloated over my entire screen - which i don't want, cause i am only previewing it. if i want it full screen i go full screen, that's that.

if you don't implement a window size- + "fixed size"-memory, i will stop using the player and i will also stop recommending it to other people. please take that into consideration.

from germany, with love. but also frustration.

Edited by machineromance (see edit history)

To answer your question about your topic. Our forum is staffed by volunteers who are here to help users in using the software, and to confirm any bugs so we can pass them on to development. Your topic wasn't asking any of us for help, and it was posted on a weekend when none of the development team was available to read it.

I also found that your topic seemed like you were demanding satisfaction from a product you purchased and was unhappy with. If that is the case, then even though I'm not paid for the many hours I spend here each week, I'll personally refund your full purchase price if your still not satisfied, out of my own pocket.

In fact, I'll refund double what you paid.

Regards,

TuuS

Your topic wasn't asking any of us for help, and it was posted on a weekend when none of the development team was available to read it.

I also found that your topic seemed like you were demanding satisfaction from a product you purchased and was unhappy with.

Dude, no offense! I saw another post getting replied to only hours after i posted mine, so i thought it was strange that other posts get replies and mine is being ignored.

Also, i am in fact demanding an improvement in this here discussed product. "Demanding" as far as you can, considering the product is for free. That doesn't mean that no once is allowed to criticize it? I criticize my parents and they gave me life.

In fact, I'll refund double what you paid.

Now what if i tell you i paid 40 bucks for it?

Hi machineromance, thank you for your feedback, this will be forwarded to the development team.

Thanks! I appreciate your reply.

Now what if i tell you i paid 40 bucks for it?

If thats the case, then I'd say you didn't infact pay for it, you were swindled by a con-artist.

When immigration was new to the united states, countless thousands of immigrants came to New York City, where a common con was to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge. Some were stupid enough to buy it and when they took their fake deed to the bridge authority, do you reckon they agreed the person actually paid for the bridge?

No one has paid for MpcStar, and if they did give someone money in exchange for the program, they infact don't own it because it is licensed as freeware, you can only own the program if you get it for free, so anything they pay for is pirated software.

Also, we don't allow members to "Demand" changes to our free products. Members are welcome (and encouraged) to make suggestions to improve a product. That is normal and accepted behavior.

If I sold you a computer and it wasn't capable of running software it was designed for, then you'd have a right to demand it be fixed, replaced or refunded, but if your friend gave you a computer for free, and you demanded it be fixed or you would refuse to accept future gifts from him, then I imagine you'd never receive another gift from them and have one less person to call "friend".

Perhaps your new to how freeware programs work and how community based support works, so I'll explain it to you.

1. All the software here is free, so there are no funds available to provide you with paid support.

2. Because many computer experts want to keep the current trend of freely distributed software available, they donate their time to help support it, just as I, and the rest of the staff here do.

3. When requesting support, you have no right to "Demand" anything, you are infact asking for a favor from an expert that is donating their valuable time to help you.

Now imagine a homeless person living on the streets who hasn't eaten in three days, so you cook him a meal fit for a king, but during one course he tells you he doesn't like his meal prepared this way and demands you fix it or he will never eat anything you cook ever again, and to make the insult even worse, he says he will also never recommend your cooking to anyone because he doesn't like the way you prepare it.

I was raised to respect others and to always be polite. If someone gives me something or helps me, I am polite to them and I'd never make demands. People who make demands of publishers of freeware shouldn't even be allowed to use it, they should stick to commercial software, where people are paid to deal with idiots and lunatics, as well as customers who genuinely need their support.

I don't think your an idiot or a lunatic, but I do think you are ignorant of the knowledge of how freeware and community based support works, so I'm doing my best to enlighten you, so please take no offense, however if you continue to make demands, you won't be permitted to post in this forum.

Now, as for your request/demand, or whatever you want to call it. I believe all media players should play the media in it's encoded resolution, with the only exception being if the screen size prevents it from displaying, in which it will be resized (made smaller) so it fits. When playing video, most users want the highest quality with the highest performance, and if the video's dimensions match your display resolution, then your viewing the video pixel for pixel, the best and highest quality you can get for that video. If you expand or reduce the size of the display resolution, then your forcing your computer to make adjustments to the video in playback. This will reduce the quality and increase the work the computer has to do.

I'd strongly suggest (not demand) that all video be displayed in it's native resolution. After all, it doesn't take a huge amount of effort to resize the playback resolution.

I was raised to respect others and to always be polite. If someone gives me something or helps me, I am polite to them and I'd never make demands.

i was raised the same way. i used to believe in these ideals just like you do until i realized it doesn't make any sense. respecting others is one thing, i don't oppose that - and i don't think i've been disrespectful with any one here so far. but being polite and humble leads you nowhere. these types of values are based on an outdated ideology, perpetuated by the same idealistic mindset that originally created it. as a matter of fact, the type of friend you described i wouldn't want to call friend voluntarily. if i like or dislike something i speak my mind. if someone is offended by it, it's their problem, because taking offense is a defensive reaction provoked by fear. why should i burden myself with the problems of other people? why should i rephrase or even say what i don't mean, if it is someone else's weakness causing them discomfort? when you go to the doctor you don't want him to say things only to comfort you, when in fact you are ill, no? instead, you want to know what's up so that you can solve it. the sooner the better.

now, i am not referring to you personally. i was just trying to give you a different outlook on my position.

(..)but if your friend gave you a computer for free, and you demanded it be fixed or you would refuse to accept future gifts from him, then I imagine you'd never receive another gift from them and have one less person to call "friend".

actually, if i needed a computer to do a certain task and my friend would give me a computer for free that can't do the task, i'd either refuse the gift or demand some sort of solution. thta's just honesty. if your friend gives you a car that's not working, you either refuse the gift or you demand a working one. you don't accept it just to be nice.

Now imagine a homeless person living on the streets who hasn't eaten in three days, so you cook him a meal fit for a king, but during one course he tells you he doesn't like his meal prepared this way and demands you fix it or he will never eat anything you cook ever again, and to make the insult even worse, he says he will also never recommend your cooking to anyone because he doesn't like the way you prepare it.

again, you don't understand the dynamic here. i am not "starving" for a good working player app. if there was in fact no other player or no comparable player i'd keep my mouth shut or ask for a favour, because i will still use regardless of the flaw. but this is not the case. if mpcstar fails to improve i will choose another since i have other options. this has nothing to do with being ungrateful or hypocritical. that homeless person will eat your food cause he has no other choices, so he better like it. if the best cook of the world comes along five minutes later and makes him the same offer he'd leave you in the dust - and rightfully so. after all, you didn't cook for his gratitude, but to help him out, right?

2. Because many computer experts want to keep the current trend of freely distributed software available, they donate their time to help support it, just as I, and the rest of the staff here do.

3. When requesting support, you have no right to "Demand" anything, you are infact asking for a favor from an expert that is donating their valuable time to help you.

1. i appreciate that. it's a good thing. but that doesn't mean i can't criticize or demand. i didn't "sign" for eternal gratitude when i downloaded the free software. since it is free, noone is actually obliged to be grateful, either. when i offer something for free i can't EXPECT to get gratitude or otherwise it's not for free..

2. in fact, i have every right as long as i didn't agree to other rules. usually a forum like this has terms of agreement that one has to agree to. those rules typically do not include a waiver of demands. everything else is common courtesy and therefore based on subjective perception of each individual, not the collective group.

Now, as for your request/demand, or whatever you want to call it. I believe all media players should play the media in it's encoded resolution, with the only exception being if the screen size prevents it from displaying, in which it will be resized (made smaller) so it fits. When playing video, most users want the highest quality with the highest performance, and if the video's dimensions match your display resolution, then your viewing the video pixel for pixel, the best and highest quality you can get for that video. If you expand or reduce the size of the display resolution, then your forcing your computer to make adjustments to the video in playback. This will reduce the quality and increase the work the computer has to do.

I'd strongly suggest (not demand) that all video be displayed in it's native resolution. After all, it doesn't take a huge amount of effort to resize the playback resolution.

that's what the fullscreen mode is for. if i want to watch a video in the highest quality possible i don't use the window mode, i switch to fullscreen. even so, mpcstar still offers different zoom modes which should suffice for everyone. that, however, is not my point. the point is that, the program changes the window size every time i load a new video and as of recent it doesn't even save the last window size after closedown. so every time i open a high-resolution video, it's all over my screen. the problem behind this is that i preview videos in the windowed mode and switch to fullscreen when i choose to concentrate on a particular video. if i choose to go to another video, i pick one form the explorer window, that i keep behind mpcstar. this little problem however, is diminishing all the advantages of mpcstar, since i have to manually switch "fixed size" every time i open mpcstar. anyone with a complex workflow will understand how important a little flaw like this can become over time.

now, i realize my tone might have not been "polite", but i reckon it's not a necessity to get my point across. quite to the contrary, actually. however, i don't think i have been disrespectful towards anyone.

i hope you understand the point i am trying to make, as i hope you see the flaws in your approach to things. no offense of any kind was intended. i am however sorry for the length of this post..

if your friend gives you a car that's not working, you either refuse the gift or you demand a working one. you don't accept it just to be nice.

I honestly find that incomprehensible. If a friend offers me a car for free, and it doesn't work, then I either decline, or accept it and fix it myself.

We have an expression here, it's called "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". It's a very old expression based on the practice of looking in a horses mouth to judge it's age, and value when purchasing, but to judge something's value when accepting a gift is insulting. If my children opened Christmas gifts and didn't like their new laptop because they wanted the one with the bigger screen, I'd happily return it and use the money to pay for food or clothing instead.

that's what the fullscreen mode is for. if i want to watch a video in the highest quality possible

I'm guessing you don't understand how digital video works. When using full screen, the quality is usually reduced, as it needs to be stretched to fit the size of the screen. The highest quality video will be when the display size matches the resolution of the video being played. If your video is encoded to 1080p standards, then it's resolution is 1920x1080 pixels, if your monitor's resolution is higher then that, you reduce the quality if you watch it full screen.

Also, no matter how it's worded or phrased, making demands of someone giving you a free gift is rude and unacceptable. Nothing you say will change my mind about that.

I don't think you'll find any other freeware player that will welcome users posting demands in their forum.

End of discussion