To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet stops downloading files in preview mode

Sometimes I download multi-file (video) torrents, and very often, especially when the file is in the middle of the list, Bitcomet just won't start downloading chunks sequentially, even when the speed is high enough (400 to 3000 KiB/s), there is plenty of peers (80+) and the file is half complete. Files at the beginning of the torrent and single-file torrents are usually download step-by-step without any problem. "Preview download mode" is ticked and so is "Optimize download strategy for preview".

Is this a known bug and is there a known solution to the problem?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm using Bitcomet 1.27 on windows 7.

Actually your harming your efficiency by downloading this way. The most efficient way to download is to take the pieces that are available, when available. If you ignore pieces you don't want till later, they may be rare when you finally decide you want them.

Also, bittorrent does not download sequentially, so there is no bug. When you use the preview stratigy, it gets the first and last parts of a video file and then tries to get a short segment somewhere that is long enough to play to give you a preview of quality.

I highly recommend you avoid this if you plan on downloading the file regardless, as it's only a useful tool if your using it to determine if you should let the download complete, or abort.

The UnUsual Suspect, please read the section "How to enable the preview of the whole file?"

I'm not harming any efficiency, because there are many seeds on the torrents i download, and even given that many ban me the speed doesn't fall down as it's limited by my ISP not peer count.

Bittorrent does not download sequentially, and it doesn't download or do anything else at all because it's a protocol. Bitcomet, however, does (agan, see wiki).

BitComet uses Bittorrent protocol to download torrents. That protocol is used to find peers best suited to trade with you. In order to get the best trading partners you want to arrange the best trades, where you send and receive data.

If your selective about what data you want, then your harming your efficiency, not only of your own, but the entire swarm.

By the way, did you read that article you linked from our wiki??? specifically this part...

However, be advised that this will have, most probably, a negative impact on the downloading speed for that task.

Which is exactly what I told you, but I also pointed out that it not only effects your efficiency, but the entire swarm.

To answer your first question, this is not a known bug.

Does this happen to you only on multiple-file torrents?

Does the size of the torrent have any bearing in the occurrence of the issue or not?

While BC downloads other pieces that the next one in the sequence, are you actually connected to any seeds? If yes check the peers tab and watch from which peers you are downloading and which ones are choking you.

Perhaps a screenshot of the Pieces tab showing what you mean would be of use. However note that if BC doesn't find the pieces is requests it may still download other pieces in the meantime in order to make efficient use of the time it spends waiting for peers which can offer it the next pieces in the sequence.

The fact that the torrent has many seeders, doesn't necessarily grant you the pieces you want; you may be still be downloading most of the pieces at that moment from peers and the seeds you're connected to may be choking you.

Does this happen to you only on multiple-file torrents?

So far I haven't experienced the error on single-file torrent, but I don't download much of them lately and I don't turn the preview thing always.

Does the size of the torrent have any bearing in the occurrence of the issue or not?

I don't know.

I'm attaching two screen-shots here for your amusement; I hope this will help to identify the problem.

post-64079-13042660245996.png

post-64079-1304266069288.png

Well, so far we haven't established yet that there IS a problem. The screenshots you posted are not very clearly indicating that situation either, since most of the files for that torrent are disabled.

If you want to present proof of a bug you'll have to do that with torrent s that don't have most of the pieces disabled and also you'll have to be able to reproduce that in more than one torrent.

As I was explaining above, this option doesn't GRANT you absolute sequential download order for pieces (BitTorrent protocol just wasn't designed for that) but a best-effort behavior from the client's part.

It's very possible that the scattered pieces which can be seen in your screenshot may have been downloaded at moments when all the peers/seeds which may have served the next sequential pieces to your client were choking you. So you client was faced with the choice of either sitting idle waiting for any peer to serve it the next sequential piece or taking any other piece which was available. In that case, the logical and most productive choice is the latter, hence the few scattered pieces you can see.

I'm not denying 100% the possibility of a bug, just saying that what you presented may have very natural causes. In order to prove a bug of this type you need to watch closely the Piece Map and Peers tab during the whole download. If while the seeds connected to you are NOT choking you, you still download ONLY scattered pieces and no sequential ones, then and only then can there be talk of a bug.

I hope you can understand now why this is a rather time consuming operation and not a very easy to carry out one either.

In addition to the afrorementioned torrent, which is season 3 of some TV series, I've tried to play also with season 2, a similar torrent with about the same number of files, file size and even seeds. So:

[s3] This is what happened when I enabled all the rest files of the torrent I spoke about earlier;

[s3] This is what happened when I deleted all the files of the said torrrent and tried donwloading a single file -- now it worked! (As I've pointed, it didn't work before) I believe the difference between this two states of a single torrent clearly shows that something has gone wrong.

[s2] This is what happend when I started downoading season 2--a very similar torrent;

[s2] This is how it progressed and

[s2] What was it like in the end... It somewhat works.. Or not?

[s2] A single file downloads in the same way as in [s3]

The peers tab looks either like this or like that, depending on the LT Seeds option.

I'm not sure you got my explanation from above.

Static screenshots can't constitute much proof of anything in this matter, from a logical standpoint. If at the moments when those scattered pieces were downloaded BC didn't have a better choice available, then it made the best choice possible by downloading them instead of standing idle.

While to you it may seem that the composition and behavior of a torrent swarm is something stable, you couldn't be farther from the truth. Think of the high entropy of a heated gas in the physics/chemistry lessons and you'll get a closer picture of the dynamics inside a torrent swarm.

You can't compare the behavior of your client in two different moments in time because you'll never be able to reproduce the same parameters twice; you'll always be comparing, more or less, apples to pineapples.

Just a few points for you to digest:

• how many peers did your client connect/disconnect per minute in each instance?
  • how many of the connected peers were seeds or peers?
  • how many of the connected peers that were seeds were choking your client and for how long?
  • how many of the connected peers that weren't seeds were not choking your client and for how long?
  • how many of the connected peers that weren't seeds and weren't choking your client did have the next sequential piece your client was looking for?

These are just a few parameters of many that impact the behavior of your client and of all the other peers each in its own right, and some of which may change even several times a second!

That's why static screenshots can't be of any use to prove a point in this particular matter.

Moreover, take note that this feature was introduced when torrents with dozens of video files were not an ordinary thing, so it may even not be heavily optimized for doing that but mostly for single video torrents. Nonetheless it seems to take into account the multiple video files into the torrent, as your screenshots show.

Add to that the fact that BitComet is doing its best to pull out of thin air a feature for which no provision exists in the BitTorrent protocol.

So, this should really be regarded as a "best-effort" feature not as something that will grant you streaming-like reliability.

As I said previously, if something still seems fishy to you, you'll need to do real-time monitoring of this feature comparing the pieces which are being downloaded against the peers which are actively serving them.

First of all, thank you for your prompt and huge reply. Second, there is a this book, 'Foundation' by Asimov... Well, not that I believe that it's possible to learn about the future by calculating statistical probabilities, but gas movement can be easily predicted on a large scale. I suppose this is what chaos theory is about.

The screenshots I posted are merely visualizations of my words which only serve the function of proving that I'm (hopefully) not a complete idiot. Tbh I don't really know how do I learn "how many peers did my client connect/disconnect per minute in each instance", but what I do know is that I've spent a good time looking at "Piece Map" tab (as I've got two monitors and can watch a movie on another) and I've seen enough to say that sometimes restarting BC helps and sometimes choosing another file helps, and in ALL cases the difference between "it's working" and "it's not" is so huge that I can assure you that there has been no state (not taking one of the mentioned shots in account) when BC "downloaded SOME of the piece sequentially while downloading some random pieces". In other words, you are saying that exactly 100% of seeds I want to download from in sequence choke me. If I get the things right, that is.

If restarting BC or choosing the next file (a matter of minute!) in a swarm of hundreds of seeds really can make such a difference, then I don't have any more questions. I know that bittorrent protocol doesn't implement streaming (yet?), but when BC succeeds at it, it works flawlessly enough to make me think that when it doesn't, it's a bug.

To answer the points I can (as evident from the screenshots):

• how many of the connected peers were seeds or peers? about 60 of 70 or so
  • how many of the connected peers that were seeds were choking your client and for how long? about 5 / don't know. Almost all of the peers are I__C

And.. why are non-seeds so important?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, it's late and my head aches. >__>

Well, all those questions weren't written above for you to answer punctually, just to make you understand that they're parameters which affect how your client behaves in each split second.

The non-seeds are important because if out of all the peers to which you're connected, the ones which ARE seeds are choking your at any point but you have some non-seeds not choking you, then you're left to trade with them for the moment being (be that a few seconds or several minutes). During those specific moments, your client can't afford itself to be so "picky" since peers which are not seeds don't hold all the pieces and may very well NOT have the next sequential pieces you need.

And yes, from a logical standpoint restarting the torrent might change the situation due to the optimistic unchoke feature of BitTorrent; thus seeds which were choking you may grant you a download slot for a while, when you reconnect to them.

Again, I'm not advocating that there isn't a bug, just saying that you didn't present enough solid proof nor explained in detail how you tested (not until your last post, at least).

So, for the 3rd and last time I'll reiterate what I told you before:

You can get pieces from seeds and non-seeds. Since only seeds hold all the pieces they will be the only ones who can aid you in proving a bug.

Therefore, if while connected to seeds, you can see at least a couple of them in the Peers tab actively uploading to you fast enough to saturate your download bandwidth and by switching back and forth between the Peers tab and Piece Map tab, you can actually confirm that BC is downloading only scattered pieces and no sequential ones, only then we could talk about a bug.

Understand that in order for us to forward a bug report to the dev team, one essential condition is that the bug can be clearly described and preferably also reproducible.

Since we don't see what you see we have to eliminate any possibility of misinterpretation and actually collect some hard evidence in the process.

• 2 months later...

Actually I got the exact same problem as ersdgfhgs. I want to be able to watch the video as it's being downloaded. And this is what "Preview Download Mode" is intended for (from my understanding). As was mentioned above it works great for single-file torrents. I have the blue line from the Summary tab clearly advancing from left to right. It also works the same way when I download the first file in a torrent. BUT when I enable downloading of another file from the same torrent (by switching it's priority from Disabled to Normal or High) the blue line (it's rightmost part) is just scattered. And I can't watch the movie :(

Oh, ersdgfhgs, you are a genius!!! I tried without any hope and... hash checking really helped! Though it's not very fast but it's definitely worth it. I'd like to plus you but unfortunately I can't (you have reached your quota of positive votes for the day).

To greywizard and support staff, well, it's clearly a bug. Instead of spreading a hot brainstorming about abstract chokes, seeds and peers you could've just taken any torrent with, say, three files in a single folder (8 gb each if it matters), set checkboxes to download the third file, enabled preview mode and seen what happens. It takes just five minutes! I'm sure you'd get the results we got.

To developers, if you ever read this, please pay attention to this issue. Two people confirmed it without any problems. ersdgfhgs even provided a workaround that may help you identify the reason for this strange behavior. BitComet gives me the fastest download speed of all known torrent clients. It also has so many useful functions, that's why I started using it in the first place. It would be great to see you supporting them too.

Sincerely yours,

User 239.

Edited by User239 (see edit history)

I think the problem is the fact that your disabling/enabling files after the download process has begun. This complicates things and must make bitcomet recalculate the entire process.

For one thing, preview mode is forcing a torrent to do something unnatural by refusing the most available pieces and only taking certain ones it wants. Using the file selecting options complicates this even more, so your becoming a very selective peer, this increases the overhead greatly and other peers will have a difficult time trading with you.

In other words, you can't expect this option to work if you change the parameters after you begin the task.

Also, you would be doing everyone a favor (including yourself) if you left the torrent to download normally.

ps. The only way to make bitcomet do as you expect it to would be to have it force a rehash so the task can be recalculated anytime you make changes, but these forced rehashes are unwanted by 99% of users.

The UnUsual Suspect, thank you very much for the explanation. Well, now it makes sense to me and I see the problem is quite fundamental.

Also, you would be doing everyone a favor (including yourself) if you left the torrent to download normally.

Do you mean I shouldn't use preview mode? This is the primary reason I've switched from uTorrent (and of course speed). Anyway who wouldn't be tempted by the possibility to click one button and start enjoying their favorite movie immediately without waiting for a good hour to have it downloaded? :) I think it might even be one of your 'killer' features. I can't tell for other users but with this mode enabled I didn't have any problem with speed. It was still limited by my ISP (10 mbit).

ps. The only way to make bitcomet do as you expect it to would be to have it force a rehash so the task can be recalculated anytime you make changes, but these forced rehashes are unwanted by 99% of users.

Well, I agree because it's not a very fast procedure and not so many users would want it to be executed without their attention. But maybe a small popup could help. Similar to the one that suggests you to do a re-check after some files were modified by an external program. It would just save users like me from being confused.

Thanks again, manual re-check worked great for me.

Our FAQ files does warn that downloading in preview order harms efficiency. You're welcome to use the feature, but it can slow your downloads, even considerably in some cases, but if there is enough sources that the only limit is your isp imposed bandwidth cap, then it won't make any difference to you, but it's still less efficient for others.

Torrents are distributed in tiny pieces, and the protocol is designed to get you the ones that are most available at the time. To do this you only need to connect to a few peers and take what they have to offer, then towards the end you become fussy, because you only need a few specific pieces, so you have to use a lot of overhead connecting to many peers until you find these pieces.

With preview mode, your constantly "fussy", unwilling to take what's offered and searching for peers that have only the pieces you insist on. Obviously, this is not noticeable to you in some cases, but imagine if you want piece 10 and every peer offers you piece 1000, but you decline, meanwhile your preview stops because it cannot continue, so you wait, have a meal and return. You can now continue because you now have piece 10, but later in the movie it halts yet again because piece 1000 is now rare and cannot be found.

With regular settings this task would already have that piece and the download would most likely be complete, but now you have to wait until you find peers offering this piece again.

Note: This could happen hundreds of time during the process, perhaps more on a large torrent.

I'm not saying not to use it, but if you can, it would be best to let the client download the pieces offered by the swarm and watch when complete, but if you are that eager to watch, then the option can be handy.

By the way, I read a press release about utorrents new beta version supporting "streaming", like it was a revolutionary option. It's exactly what bitcomet has offered for years, we just call it "preview mode".

• 6 months later...

Sorry for being a tad late, but that's incorrect. You don't need to actually hash check everything, just choose "Manual hash check", click "Stop" right away, then "Start" and BitCome will start downloading the file sequentially. So the bug is not anything fundamental and should be easy to fix. (Maybe it has already been fixed since i didn't check.)

Also, uTorrent's streaming sucks big time.

Edited by ersdgfhgs (see edit history)

I don't think you understood me. When bitcomet does the hash check, it sets up the download order preferrences, if you then change the files your downloading, it needs to rehash the files again to know what parts it has, and which ones it needs to request to get them in order, so the hash has to be repeated. This is not a bug, and also, there is no difference between a rehash and a manual rehash, "manual" only means you asked bitcomet to do it.

As for utorrents streaming, I haven't tried it, but it seems like they were claiming it's something new, but bitcomet had it for years. I'm not going to comment on if their streaming method works or not, and your free to discuss it, but please don't use language that insults them. They may allow it on their forum, we do not here. You're welcome to discuss what it can or cannot do, and share your opinion if you think bitcomet does it better, or worse, but they also develop a free product and they are new at torrent streaming, so I'm sure it will improve in time. All software has some growing pains when new features are added.

I know what rehashing does. It's just that in order to fix BitComet stopping downloading files chunk-by-chunk, you don't need the full check. You just do it for a second, and the bug is fixed. That signifies that the issue is not a bittorrent or BitComet design flaw or some fundamental incompatibility between file preview and the torrent protocol, but a minor bug that can be easily fixed. No, really. I mean it.

uT's streaming is made through a real video stream, i.e. you can't rewind it or fast forward; besides, uT appraently has a set of rules to determine if it should try sequential dowloading, which are failing at torrents with low number of seeders, although most of the small private trackers usually have no more than a couple of dozens of seeders on an average torrent and very few leechers due to high download seeds. In other words, uT fails to fairly decide if its streaming will harm the swarm.

BitComet, on the other hand, sometimes fails to download all the chunks necessary for avi index to be built, but it can be rebuild and the problem is rare.

So you're saying you don't need to complete the hash check, just initiate it, then stop it?

Also, one issue we seem to differ on is that there is no difference between the way it's downloaded, it's all using bittorrent, the only difference is how the order the pieces are requested. I (personally) don't like the idea of users forcing the download of sequential pieces, simply because it's not efficient. It would be far better to take what is offered, as long as the piece is on your list of needed data.

Imagine building a jigsaw puzzle where you needed a million pieces and there was an endless line of people, each with a handful of pieces. You talk to each briefly, and take whatever pieces you need until your puzzle is complete, but in preview mode, you would reject 99.9% of the pieces because your only looking for piece 1, 2, and 3, so your passing thousands of people without taking any, then they have to get back in line and you have to hope the next time you see them you need a piece they have. Why not just grab what they have when they offer it? That's how bittorrent works. Rejecting pieces you need is inefficient, because you're going to be needing them later, it's also not as swarm friendly, but on a private tracker that uses high speed servers to seed the files, all pieces will be equally available, so it won't be much of an issue, but on such a tracker I can usually download the movie in a few mins, so I can't imagine the need to stream it, just start the download and go make popcorn, then I can watch it without having to worry about streaming.

As far as the issue with downloading all the indexes, some players can ignore the indexes and just continue playback. The only thing that's needed is the beginning and end piece, as well as enough in between to have something to put on the sceeen, but I've played incomplete files before that were quite watchable, as long as you have a player that can digest a corrput/incomplete file without crashing.

So you're saying you don't need to complete the hash check, just initiate it, then stop it?

Very correct. One second on, say, 30BGiB torrent is enough.

I (personally) don't like the idea of users forcing the download of sequential pieces, simply because it's not efficient.

I (personally) am quite concerned about not harming the swarm, so I'm never using the preview mode when there are just a few seeders and a lot of leechers or when I don't want to play the file right away.

As far as the issue with downloading all the indexes, some players can ignore the indexes and just continue playback. The only thing that's needed is the beginning and end piece, ...

Sometimes BitComet fails to download (the end?) indexes of the file and the video player, if run, plays audio not synchronously with video. This can be fixed by rebuilding the index in the player, although it takes time and brings in a number of inconviniences. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, some players write the newly rebuilt index into the file and BitComet fails to notice it, which renders the file unplayable after downloading has finished. Bit this is rare, harder to fix and thus can be prety safely ignored.

If you do any altering or "fixing" of a file during download, it will fail hash check, so in order to fix you would need to do a manual hash check, which will discard any altered pieces, restoring the file to it's original state.

The out of sync problem is common, it's more involved then just the indexes. when there is no video to play, the player will jump ahead to where there is something to play, which often causes sync issues, however the reason for playing partial downloads is to confirm the source is real, so most people view enough to confirm it, then stop and wait for the download to finish.