To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

about:config won't save settings anymore, after upgrade

Hi,

I updated to cometbird 4. Now when I change the about:config settings for how tabs work, it won't save. I used to be able to just click on them, change the values, and it was done. But now, whenever I change the way tabs work, and then restart cometbird, it goes back to default settings. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Danielle

p.s. Also, the new dropdown menu on the top-left corner, I wish it would drop down on hover, without having to click. Is that possible?

Hi Danielle,

Our dev team just test what you said about congif change, and it turns out that it works normally.

Settings can be change in about:congif page, close and reopen it the settings are saved already.

It wont go back to default.

Would you please try again?

And now it is impossible to change the way how dropdown menu works.

Something like that usually indicates that there's a problem writing the configuration file, and that's usually a permission problem. That's where you should start investigating, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled the latest version, but the problem still persists. Where is the about:config file stored? I'm using Windows 7... will check permissions... or I guess I could write a plug-in to change the behaviour? just kidding!

Cometbird configuration (not a file named "about:config", that's just the command to EDIT it, not the filename) under Win7 is stored in your user directory, under appdata\roaming.

Look for something like C:\Users\DanielleZajac\appdata\Roaming\CometBird and its subdirectories.

This whole area may have permission issues. (Quite a bit of the configuration information will be stored in unreadable/uneditable database files so this isn't something you can edit by hand, but you need to make sure that it's your common sense, but not the file or directory permissions, that prevents you.)

I'm using CometBird 4.0.1 and the setting saves, but the bookmarks still open in a new tab with a single left-click. I can deal with right-clicking and then clicking Open, but it's a little annoying. Is there ANY way to fix it without getting a different version of this great browser?

Thanks