To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Uploading = No Web Browsing

When I double click a torrent to set it to upload it KILLS my web browsing abilities and I can not browse the web at all. When I double click it and it just has the green circle displayed I can browse the web just fine. Does this mean I am not able to let others download from me?

We could probably give you a specific answer if you provided the information we request for making a support request, but without knowing anything at all about your system or your internet connection, then the best we can do is take a wild guess and say your settings need to be properly adjusted to run within your available bandwidth.

My bad. I am new to all of this torrent stuff and the forums. My answers are in bold...obviously.

1) What version of BitComet are you using? 1.27 Stable Release

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)? I have cable internet.

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port? I have a Motorola SURFboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway SBG900, I dont exactly know what port forwarding is...sorry :(

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected. None of these apply, I just connect wirelessly on my Gateway laptop with Windows 7.

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? I have Norton Anti-Virus (Internet Security)....I'm assuming it takes the place of windows firewall when installed. I have set it to allow BitComet

6) If you are asking about a specific torrent or file that you have downloaded, make sure that you include the complete torrent name, as well as the complete names of the files and their respective extensions/formats (e.g.: .rar, .wma, .bin, .cue, etc.). Not Applicable

7) For speed-related issues, please run various speed tests at a site such as speedtest.net (make sure that no other computer is using your Internet connection and that all other programs - including BitComet - are closed, during the tests). Include the results, along with the settings that you are presently using, in your post, so that we may review and offer suggestions to improve its performance. I do not think this is a speed problem. I have prety fast connection of 5.5-6.0 mbps down and .80-1.0 mbps up WHEN I do not have any files set for upload with the little red up arrow next to them. I can also view any web page and have no problems when this is set to not upload. When I make it available to upload is when I start having the problem. What is weird is while I am downloading a file and it is uploading at the same time I have no problems. I guess I just have problems when I try to seed.

The usual and customary reason for the behaviour you mention is a failure to configure your client properly. Configuration details are supplied in the Guides forum as well as the Wiki FAQ linked at the top of the page.

Every TCP packet must be acknowledged. Bittorrent protocol requires that you upload what you have downloaded -- you must give in order to get. This means that there is a substantial demand on your upstream bandwidth which, for most people, is vastly lower than their downstream bandwidth. If you do not restrain your client, it absorbs all of this bandwidth, so much so that it can actually interfere with itself as acknowledgments expire while waiting in the queue to be sent. Not just the bittorrent acks, but also the ones from your browser or email client or chat client. This appears as a browser that can't reach any web page.

You must measure your actual bandwidth. Use speedtest.net, and pick a server physically nearby. Be careful about your units, make sure you are consistent with them. Many people screw this up.

Then set your global maximum upload speed to about 80% of your tested maximum upstream bandwidth. Retest your upstream bandwidth on weekdays, weekends, nights, etc to get a good average value.

Now even when you are doing nothing else on the internet, you still need to limit your client's upstream speed, to about 95% or so, to avoid having it start to interfere with itself.