To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Failed to open file! (SWF File)

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post, it's my first post here, and I read the READ ME FIRST in read, and I searched, but I couldn't find anything related to this. I searched for problems with SWF but I think it doesn't allow such short search tags like "swf". The problem, is exactly that. I know these swf files can be played, as I can play them on other computers, and even in previous versions of mpcstar (on other computers). I love mpcstar but I want it to work great on this computer as it does on the other ones. I am running Windows 7 64 bit ultimate on this computer, that's the only difference I can think of unless it's really just a big in the later versions of mpcstar. What should I do to get it compatible with swf files again? Thank you very much for reading this.

First step is to confirm that it's not a corrupt file. Try playing it in another player on the same computer, the very same file, not a copy of it on another computer.

We do know of problems with .mp4 files on mpcstar 5.1, but we aren't aware of a problem with swf.

If you confirm it won't play only on mpcstar, then I'd suggest you get a prior version and look at the release notes when version 5.2 is released, it will address any bug fixes.

Okay, I've just confirmed that it can play the EXACT same swf files on the same computer using google chrome, but mpcstar won't open the files. What is happening here? Also it's not working with some MPG files that I have recorded with my camera, plays in WMP just fine... Does anyone have an idea on what's going on? Do I need to install / uninstall something? Anything?

There are some problems with certain video types, but they never seem to effect all users so it may be difficult to pinpoint the cause. I suggest you revert to a prior version and check the release notes when a new version is released to see if there is mention of this problem.

I have run across the issue of files taken from a video camera, that will only play in WMP and nothing else. I think that is probably a completely different issue from your problems with .swf files, or at least relates to a different filter issue. I'm just suggesting you treat them as separate for now.

THere haven't been any reports of issues with .swf files, especially not that far back, and I'm fairly sure we would have run into them by now if they were common. You might want to remove and uninstall every instance of Flash on your system, including your browsers, then reboot, download and install the latest one(s). As I recall, there were issues with Flash on Win7/64 mentioned on the Adobe website, and they did have a beta that was supposed to work, but I haven't looked for a while.