To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

MPCstar

Will MPCstar come out with a 64bit version for Win 7? It seams that the last 3 updates are locking up when playing M4V and H264 videos.

Or is it just a bug that needs to be worked on still. I went back to pre 5.0 version but I keep checking back here for news.

The advantages of 64bit program is mainly it's ability to use more then 2gB of ram memory. I can't imagine wanting a video player to use anywhere near that, so I see no advantage of developing it.

As for the issues you're referring to, we (forum staff) believe it's a conflict with codecs installed on the users system. Hopefully development can resolve this and when they do it will be addressed in release notes of new version.

If you are trying to buffer more than 2 GB of video, I really have to wonder what you're doing, and why. That's just a tremendous amount of very detailed information -- like, half a DVD in memory and instantly available. Just watching the DVD in sequence, it would take you an hour to get to the end of the data.

I guess there must be some sort of video application where that might be useful, but I can't imagine what it might be, and MPCStar isn't designed for whatever that is. Zooming into every detail of a full-body CAT scan? And you can't wait a few seconds to load it from disk? Doing microsurgery, are you? You should be looking at Crossfire and the like for this, with a gig of video RAM or two.

So, not dissing you, but this is really silly. There probably won't be a 64-bit video player that does anything a 32-bit can't do, or not until we have holodecks.

I think most average users hear that 64bit is better, and since they paid for a 64bit computer and windows version, they want as many programs as possible to support 64bit. I doubt this member was thinking of using more then 2gb of ram on his video player when he asked the question.

I do think the day will come when a video player will be 64bit and will need as much ram, but currently the highest resolution video generally available is 1080p, which is 1920x1080 resolution. I suspect we will have higher resolutions in the near future, and perhaps even interactive movies where we control the outcome of the movie by our choices. This is perhaps a decade away before it's distributed through mass media, but they are already experimenting with such technology now and it will definitely (at some point) require a 64bit program, but by then we all will be operating computers with ram measured in TB, not MB or GB and harddrives measured in EB.

I just asked, I don't use videos that size as a matter of fact I convert them to .MKV due to smaller size. And not being of right mind (I get a check and was asked to PLEASE stay home) LOL. Just kidding. I asked because it seams there are is alot of software being written for 64bit and it a memory hog. it's just nice to know that MPCstar will stay small.

And Thanks again