To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

server 403 error

i am running bitcomet 1.26 stable firefox 3.6. i have charter cable internet. internal modem and a netgear wireless router which is connected to my pc by hardwire. (see, someone reads before posting) i run windows xp. i just recently started having server not found errors when i try to download any media files even when using "best you tube downloader" for mp4 or mp3 files. i don't think it is a bitcomet issue, torrents work fine. but i've read the forums and FAQ, nobody else seems to be having this particular issue. firefox integration is on and enabled. i haven't changed anything before i started receiving the 403 errors. i didn't want to bother you guys, but i'm at my wits end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! sincerely, -cn- Oh, also this "torrent too large" error window pops up now, but not everytime. don't know if that is a related issue.

Error 403 means that access is forbidden. Many servers that host web content don't allow direct connections to that media. If your trying to download the file with bitcomet as an http/ftp task, then you can try adding the referrer from the page the media is displayed on, this sometimes works. You can find this on the http tab of the task properties.

As for the "torrent too large" error, can you describe it better, and when you get it. A screenshot of the error would be helpful too.

403's are pretty normal errors, and frequently come from sites that don't permit hot-linking directly to their content. This prevents other sites from "framing" their content, claiming the benefits of having it for themselves while leaving the burden of serving the content on the original site. They can't tell the difference between a downloader and a hot-linker.

TUS and Kluelos thank you for you quick replies. i still have been unable to make it work. i have used bit comet for around two years now and have LOVED it. this is the first time i've had a problem i couldn't solve with research. i am familiar with 403 errors and what they are, i've just never been rejected by youtube before, ever. i've done everything from uninstalling and reinstalling to resetting defaults. i even did a harddisk recovery. everything but resetting my computer to factory settings. i can grab mp4 files with other add-ons, it's just that i love everything about bit comet as a download manager. i was finally able to grab flv files by using the "tools" menu and right clicking, but it won't open in the actual manager (so i can track progress in floating window), only the browser downloader. and it won't grab the mp4 files from "best youtube downloader" like bitcomet did just a couple weeks ago. i'll just have to re-adjust my habits until i figure it out. not to sound like an idiot, but i didn't include a screenshot 'cuz i don't know how to capture one. i've never had to before. Anyway, i just wanted to Thank you both for your consideration and valuable time. Keep up the AWESOME job you guys are doing and know that you are appreciated. -coolnegative-

We have a guide for making and posting screenshots, two guides in fact. It's really not hard to do. As for having bitcomet grab the downloads you select in a web browser, that is what the browser integration is for. Look in your bitcomet options and make sure it's installed for your web browser. If you use firefox 4 or 5, then there are some known issues which are best addressed by reverting to previous version.

as for the 403 error, bitcomet cannot prevent a website from giving this error, but if your downloading a youtube video, try entering "youtube.com" as a referrer in the http section of the task. This should tell the server that your on their website, not just some remote computer trying to grab the video without visiting their website. That is the reason servers use the 403 error, they want you to look at their ads if your going to watch their video and when the link is passed to bitcomet, the server won't recognize that your a client anymore.