To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Manual Hash Check do Not starts

Dear Bitcomet users,

I encountered with big problem (for me). I downloaded 238 GB of data. It's 3 my favorite HD movies. During downloading in torrent file i checked first first movie, after download completed i checked second file and in the same way third file. in the end i wonted to do manual hash check but bitcomet starts and freezes. I thought my be it needs long time, i left for one night steel the same and as soon as i press stop button program Not Responding.

BitComet Version 1.28

OS Windows 7 pro 64 Bit

Depending on your computer, the storage media your using, and other factors, doing a hash check on that much data can take a very long time. This could vary from a couple hours for a fast computer on a local disc drive, to perhaps days for a slower computer on a remote storage device.

You can speed up the hash check by setting your advanced option "bittorrent.hash_check_thread_low_priority" to "false", however this will adversely effect your active tasks, so I wouldn't keep it set to "false" after your hash check is complete.

My System is:

OS Windows 7 pro 64 bit

CPU Core i7 860

GPU HD 6970

RAM 4GB DDR3 1600

HARD from Western Digital new Caviar Green.

Many times i downloaded 100 gb, 160gb data, but i never experienced problems. it's a just 3 HD movies. it even do not start checking, thats the problem. not even 0,1%, nothing at all.only yellow icon and freezes.

I believe you have bitcomet set to automatically do a hash check when a task completes. This would explain why you're having problems doing a manual hash check if one is already in progress.

I'm also having difficulty understanding parts of your initial post.

During downloading in torrent file i checked first first movie, after download completed i checked second file and in the same way third file. in the end i wonted to do manual hash check but bitcomet starts and freezes.

What exactly does this mean? When you said you "checked second file", I assumed you meant that you checked that the download was complete, perhaps by viewing it... but now I'm thinking you were changing file settings, in the task settings. If so, this is not an efficient way to control your downloads. you should select what files you want to download and not change the settings.

Every time you change these settings your forcing bitcomet to recalculate how it handles boundry piece data and on a task this large, I can see how it would cause problems. My best guess is that something is corrupt, I just can't say where since I'm not even 100% sure of what you did/didn't do.

I'd say the first thing I would do would be to stop all tasks and shut down your computer. After restarting, open bitcomet and make sure no tasks are running, then do the manual rehash on this torrent.

If it fails to begin, then you could try completely removing the task, then add it again. When you do, bitcomet will see the files already exist and will do a hashcheck to determine if they are complete.

Another thing that makes this entire topic confusing is...

I downloaded 238 GB of data. It's 3 my favorite HD movies.

Are you saying you have downloaded 3 movies that are 80GB each?

This seems incredible, and I can see that English isn't your primary language, so I'm trying to understand you as best I can, but it's difficult when even simple sentences seem to make no sense if taken literally.

This seems incredible, and I can see that English isn't your primary language

If you see_ xyz Blu-Ray you would not say that and also that's true, English is not my primary language.

What exactly does this mean?

I mean that when you download torrent file and open, first i gave to download first file. because i do not have good internet speed so i thought i download first part and after check in properties second file to download and watch first :D i hope you will understand my poor English :(

I'd say the first thing I would do would be to stop all tasks and shut down your computer. After restarting, open bitcomet and make sure no tasks are running, then do the manual rehash on this torrent.

If it fails to begin, then you could try completely removing the task, then add it again. When you do, bitcomet will see the files already exist and will do a hashcheck to determine if they are complete.

I tried before you wrote this, but it did not help at all, same problem and i can not download so big file again and if it fails again i will destroy my computer :(

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

A full uncompressed bluray movie is usually 20-40GB in size, but some are larger, however modern video encoding can allow you to get the same quality in a much smaller size. Most release groups use x264 codec when ripping a bluray disc. This will give you a 720p resolution with a file size of about 4GB for an average movie, or 6-8GB for full 1080p resolution.

I found the video you speak about in full 1080p with all three movies (extended edition) with a total size of 51GB. This will give you quality virtually identical to the original bluray disc.

I also found an alternative using QEBS (quality enhanced bitrate squeezer), where you can get the same full 1080p resolution of these movies in only 12GB (total for all three movies).

As for your method of downloading, if you want the first of the three movies to complete first, then set it's priority higher, but the most efficient way to download is to leave all files on normal priority. Disabling the other movies then enabling them later is very inefficient and should be avoided.

As for your problem, from what I understand, your download completed successfully and you're attempting to get confirmation that they are 100% intact, is this correct?

A full uncompressed bluray movie is usually 20-40GB in size

Here is [link removed by mod].It's new edition And what i downloaded is a BDRemux in MKV conteiner. 6BD discs and 50GB each.

As for your problem, from what I understand, your download completed successfully and you're attempting to get confirmation that they are 100% intact, is this correct?

Yes, I do not want to save so big files without make sure that is nothing missing. there is any other way to check?

Disabling the other movies then enabling them later is very inefficient and should be avoided

If that option can create that kind of problem i think should not be in properties, instead advanced property.

bittorrent protocol doesn't download your data in files, it breaks them into pieces and downloads them one piece at a time. Some of these pieces will have parts of two or more files in them, so if you disable a file/s within a torrent, then one or more of the pieces you download will have unneeded data in them that will be discarded. If you then enable the file/s you previously downloaded, any pieces that spanned two or more files will need to be downloaded again. Selecting files was never intended to be done when downloading torrents, it was a feature that was tacked on afterwards, but it can be very handy to use, but it is also abused. These aren't options designed to be turned on/off, then back on again, you just select what you want to download and let the software do it's job... and you're done. Normally bitcomet can handle abuse, and I've even seen it tolerate users who constantly change these settings and expect it to recalculate preview strategy (on the fly). It will even do this if you rehash inbetween settings changes, but such behavior is far from normal usage and if it was upto me, I'd install a device in all computers that reaches out and smacks the person in the face when they try to do something so dumb :P (not referring to you, just a bit of humor).

With your issues (which I'm still not sure I fully understand), your computer is locking up upon initiating of hash check. We have millions of users each day and if this was happening to everyone who downloads 200GB torrents, then our forum would be full of posts about it, yet yours is the only one, so I suspect it's not bitcomet at fault. If I was there working with your computer, then I could probably figure out what is stopping the hash check from completing, but I'm not, and all I can do is struggle to understand your reports, which isn't easy to do, but I'm trying.

As for another way to test the files... is there any other files included in the torrent, such as ".sfv" files? these are designed to do just what you're asking, if present. If not, then doing a hash check is the only solution I can offer short of simply watching the movies to make sure they are complete.

Why post a link to a commercial site who holds the title to the video you presumably downloaded and not the link or magnet link to the .torrent file instead? Is it a private one?

That way one of us could have at least tried to do a hash check on the torrent and see if we can replicate your issue.

Why post a link to a commercial site who holds the title to the video you presumably downloaded and not the link or magnet link to the .torrent file instead?

Because of This:

Is it a private one?

Not at all, here we go:http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3675706

4-5 days i tried many times different methods but no result.Finally, i download utorrent and gave to it for hash checking and 100% :D

Actually this is true

The movies you're referring to are 3-4hours long if my memory serves, so they hardly fit into the "usually" category. I'm also shocked at the fact that these aren't uncompressed bluray, they are x264 rips. I don't know how someone could make an x264 rip of these bluray discs without reducing the size. The examples I found reduced the entire set to as little as 12GB while keeping the full 1080p resolution, and 51GB for the official "scene" releases, so my best guess is the person who encoded them with file sizes over 200GB wasn't concerned with efficient use of video compression.

I believe you would be unable to tell the difference in quality between the 51GB and 200GB versions, and even the 12GB versions would look as good without close inspection. I did find it interesting that this version was prepared with multiple russian audio and subtitle options, so definitely would be prefered by someone who is russian, but it's a shame they didn't use some efficient video compression in the release.

Regarding the reasons why they failed to hash check... it's hard to say, and since I'm not inclined to download 200GB+ in order to find out, I guess we'll have to just consider it a mystery (for now), but I'm glad you were able to get them rehashed.

ps. I did try to download the torrent so I could look at the file list. Most release groups (and ALL scene releases) have an .sfv file in the torrent and you could have used that to check the contents, but this site doesn't allow downloading the torrent unless you register, so I couldn't get a look at the file list.