To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Listen Port blocked since last week - but it was fine for 3 months!!!

momouk

Hi

I have recently joined BitComet - when I first joined, the Listen Port was always blocked, so I followed the below link and have followed the steps on BitComet UPnP Auto Port Mapping. This was extremely helpful and I was able to download as much as 1000MB at one time.

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/add_port_mapping_in_nat_router

However, from the begining of last week, my Bitcomet has been very slow, and its always default to Blocked listen port. At first I clicked Recheck or Retry UPnP mapping and I was able to unblock the Listen Port after a several attempt. However, these two days I am unable to unblock the Listen port. I have not changed the settings of the PC and I have tried following the steps on the link again, but still unable to get anywhere. Is there any changes in Bitcomet recently that has caused this? bcos i have not made any changes to my PC - so I am not sure why my listen port is blocked recently.....

Please see more of my details below:

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

SKY internet

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port?

Sky Router (the black one). I think i have forwarded my port - I have followed all the steps in the below link - does this mean it has been forwared? If not, please can anyone kindly tell me what that means?

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/add_port_mapping_in_nat_router

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected.

N/A

5) What version of Windows do you use?

Window XP

Please can anyone give me their advise? I just realised life withoit Bitcomet is a bit dull....so need to have this fixed!!!

Please let me know if u need anymore inform.

Thanks

Mo

Nothing in bitcomet could have anything to do with a blocked listening port, if it's blocked, it's because you are using software or hardware that is blocking it. If you have made no changes on your computer or your router, and suddenly your port is blocked, then what most likely happened is you restarted your computer and it was assigned a different IP address by your router, so the port is no longer assigned to you. If you used uPnP to open the port, then it should still work, but if you did manual port forwarding, then your port is now directing to your old IP address, so you'll need to change the setting to match your new IP address.

This is why we recommend setting up a static IP address in windows, doing so will prevent this from happening.

Before you begin redoing your port forwarding, if possible, try bypassing your router and plugging directly into your modem. If that shows an open port, then you can be sure the router settings are your problem. I usually recommend using the guides at portforward.com, they have free guides for most routers that will walk you through the setup (avoid the attempts to sell you software to do it for you, it's easier to do it yourself then it is to buy and setup the software).

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Could you please kindly advise:

1) how can I change the setting to match your new IP address?

2) setting up a static IP address in windows

Many thanks for your help once again

I feel like I can see lights in the other side of the tunnel now

Thanks

Mo

It's all explained in the guide you mentioned.

Go back to the guide and follow this time the second part (Manual Port Forwarding), and ignore completely the first part which is about automatic port forwarding.

You'll find inside all the step by step instructions needed to set a static IP address and to forward the port on your router.

If you get stuck and don't understand any of the steps, you can come back and ask specific details about what you don't get.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Much appreciated. I have read the link again and I understand how to do step 1 and 2...however on Step 3, it requires to go to the Port forwarding website and locate the Router's model/brand - may I please ask how do I know what my router's model/brand?? Thanks

Monica

Monica, you need to look at the device. If you're using ethernet to connect your computer it will be a cable running from your computer to the router, if you're using wifi, it will be the device with one or more antenna's on it that connects to your modem.