To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I can't uninstall or install new cometbird.

LoginX

Hello guys!

I have a problem and hoping you guys have a solution for it.

I'm trying to update cometbird to the latest version but failed. It keeps saying the message in the quote.

When I trying to uninstall Cometbird something popup and it says:

Your Computer must be restarted to complete a previous upgrade of Cometbird.Do you want to reboot now?

And I clicked yes. Then after restarting, I open control panel and click uninstall...same thing happen.

LoginX

It sounds like you uninstalled it before the update finished. Try this...

start>run

Then type "msconfig" and hit "enter"

Look on the "startup" tab and find an entry for cometbird update and uncheck it. Then when you restart, if everything works normally you can save the changes.

Sorry but I cannot find it! But I did find a blank with no name startup item. Even the command or item file/:c is blank.

I really cannot uninstall it nor install another new version of it. :(

I want to use cometbird because it's lighter than firefox.

Try a utility called autoruns. It's freeware, available out there on the net.

It will show you/let you control everything about your computer's startup.

It's pretty intimidating, so look mostly at the "Logon" tab, and the first few entries. This is where you'll find the major things that are set to automatically start. You can uncheck them, and (usually) you can right-click them and delete them.

This should help you find and get rid of your blank entry (as well as many other things you may not want).

post a screenshot showing all the startup items in the msconfig utility, or try the app kluelos suggested. Once you break the vicious circle of the failed installation, you can then reinstall the product. You might also want to have a look on firefox support forum. Cometbird uses firefox source code so any bugs related to installation will be shared across both platforms.

Also I'll add that with millions of users, we've never seen this problem before, so I suspect something else is going on with this system, perhaps some malware?

That blank entry in msconfig tells me you've got registry problems. Autoruns might be able to clean that up, but you're honestly at the point of needing to reinstall Windows. Anything you can salvage short of that is gravy.