To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download speed over wifi slower!

tvwwer1

I'm on a desktop and bitcomet download speeds have been slower ever since I moved my pc and had to use a Medialink USB Wireless Adapter, amazon link

My download speed is 300kb and I can surf and download at that speed in a browser, but when I download through bitcomet I get 100-150kb speed on this download with 5 seeds connected. I know for a fact I can get to 300kb speeds if i connected to the internet wired on even 2 seeds. I have my ports forwarded and everything. It just seems that my usb adapter works fine in almost every aspect of my internet except bitcomet downloads. Connecting wired is out of the option so I was hoping someone might know anything about my problem and could kindly inform me how to fix this if there is one.

Edited by tvwwer1 (see edit history)

If your WAN light is green, then using this type of adapter shouldn't be a problem and shouldn't effect your speeds.

Try downloading one of the openoffice torrents, they are well seeded and should show you if your able to download at your connections full speed or not.

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/

well I tried downloading that torrent was getting 1 seed and was getting around 40 Kbps download. My WAN light is green though. Then i tried downloading a popular anime episode with 60 seeds and 700 peers and am now close to the 300 Kbps speed that i want. I guess it really comes down to how many seeds I have. It's weird because i can recall downloading files that were getting fewer than 5 seeds but still get 300 Kbps speed when I was connected wired.

It's not the number of seeds, a seed is a person just like you, it depends on how fast each seed and peer can upload to you.

ps. the open office torrent should have maxed out your connection speed. Last time I downloaded it, my speed was over 3000kB/s.

reviving this thread again, bitcomet still not achieving max speeds consistently. I don't understand how different hardware can affect bitcomet ONLY. My browsers not affected but bitcomet is. Connecting wired gets me to max speed at the very start. My wireless connection now just starts low like at 50Kb/s and sometimes goes to my max speed of 320Kb/s but then goes down back to the 100's. I'd say I get around 110Kb/s consistently, less than half of my max speed.

You might have an issue with your wifi connection, see if you're able to transfer files from one pc to another at a rate close to your wifi connection speed. If not, then you may need to relocate your wifi device, or perhaps upgrade it to a faster standard with greater range. Wifi "N" routers and adapters have become very cheap and might be your best option.