To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

opening page in browser every time I start BitComet

johnmirror

Hi.

After some time after installing BitComet is starting to open this in my browser every time I start BitComet:

file://localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Username/Application%20Data/BitComet/fav/passport_login_en_us.mht

It's very annoying and sometimes it makes my browser crash.

I reinstall BitComet (same or new version), no change.

The only "break" I get is when I get my Windows from backup. After a few days is starting to do this again.

1. BitComet version: 1.3 (but this is happening for a few months so with previous versions too).

2. Internet Connection: ADSL

3. No modem or router, just a network card.

4. -

5. Windows XP SP3 x86, firewall from Windows, Eset Nod32

6. -

7. -

Internet browsers: IE6, Mozilla Firefox 8.01 and Opera 11.51 (which is the default browser).

Can you please help me so it doesn't open this anymore? Thank you.

If the problem was previously discussed/solved, sorry, I searched before asking.

Best regards, John

Edited by johnmirror (see edit history)

Your system is capturing bitcomet as it tries to display your comet ID pane in the lower left corner and it's forcing it to open in one of your web browers. You need to fix that web browser. The easiest way would be to restore it to default settings.

If the problem was with bitcomet, then it would have this problem on my computer, and the millions of other users who use it every day, but it doesn't, it works fine.

Whatever you've done (or allowed to be done) to your settings is the problem.

ps. no one suggested deleting your bookmarks, you assumed that on your own, and if you don't want to restore default settings, then just change the setting that's causing this behavior. The only person who could determine what setting is causing this would be sitting in front of your PC, someone on a remote computer half a world away couldn't possibly know what you've done to your computer to cause this. If you don't know how to tell the correct setting, and don't want to learn, then perhaps you should reconsider restoring default settings and be more careful about making changes to your system in the future.

Oh, so now I'm to blame, not my system. Great :rolleyes:

Look, I didn't set anything to do this.

And I know how to set Windows and programs, after all I'm a computer programmer and I'm working with computers for 20+ years.

You know, I was sometimes tempted to blame others when my programs were not working well only on their computers (apparently). But I checked first, fixed when it was my program's fault and apologized to them (even if my programs are freeware too)...

You say "for millions of users it works fine", like every user who had a problem (this or another) is coming here to report it. They choose another program, very few report the problem. Everybody knows that.

"no one suggested deleting your bookmarks, you assumed that on your own" Well, since you haven't specified which kind of reset should I do + I haven't set anything to do this in those browsers = you're surprised that I concluded this? :rolleyes:

It may be a browser with an unusual behavior (for BitComet), not (for sure) something that I set. But you didn't bother to check this and half (but only half) I understand: you don't have time to "waste" for each user.

I'm a fan of BitComet for a few years and I came on this forum a few times to report errors and help solving them. But most of the times I was treated like this. But, strange, on many other similar forums I'm not and they are checking and fixing their problems.

Well, I'll let you find more ways to blame me. Good luck.

But you'll be "reciting" for others, I got better things to do with my life.

Restore your Windows from backup, as you said previously.

Notice now, as you said previously, that the problem goes away.

Then observe that, a few days later, the behavior returns.

From this, learn that the issue is not with BitComet, but with something else that you are doing to your system those few days later, causing the system to start intercepting the url and redirect it to your browser, instead of allowing BitComet to open the page normally.

First of all, we are all bitcomet users, just like you are, and if you want us to spend our donated time to help you, then just be polite and don't take this so personal. If you want to take it up with bitcomet developers, they have their own forum, do you speak mandarin?

Now, since your a programer, go find this file and change it's properties so it opens in Internet Explorer. That (hopefully) will fix your problem.

C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Username/Application%20Data/BitComet/fav/passport_login_en_us.mht

I'm sure you know that microsoft has designed windows so apps can use code from Internet Explorer to show web content. BitComet does this to display your Comet ID pane, simply because if we used another browsers code, then we'd have to include the browser with the install package. Once you have this file opening in IE, your system should know how to handle it properly. The problem is that you've made changes and your system sees the .mht file and thinks it knows better what to do with it, so instead of letting bitcomet open it in IE, you end up opening it in your Opera browser.

Also if you read back, the point I was trying to make is that you need to properly change your options in Opera to stop it from hijacking bitcomet's cometID pane. Your browser might think you want it to take over everything simply because it's default, but you obviously don't like this behavior, so your asking us, but we aren't experts in using Opera, in fact I'd say as a computer programmer that uses the browser, you're closer to fitting that description, so you should be well equipped to fix the problem.

For someone who is not upto the task, then I'd simply recommend they reset the default options, which by the way has nothing to do with deleting your bookmarks or browsing history, but you obviously already know that, being a programmer yourself.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everybody.

Just want to tell that I too had same problem everytime I opened BitComet.

But after reading above:-

Now, since your a programer, go find this file and change it's properties so it opens in Internet Explorer. That (hopefully) will fix your problem.

I'm sure you know that microsoft has designed windows so apps can use code from Internet Explorer to show web content.

I found that the problem was that I had actually disabled Internet Explorer as I didn't use it. Enabling it solved my problem and now the file opens it BitComet itself.

Hope this helps somebody.. ^_^