To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Anonymous Downloading

asilver50

Hello,

I just paid for the 10GB VIP pass. I am very happy with Bit Comet so far. My only question that I do not seem to be able to answer is am I able to download anonymously after the 10GB are up? I have used up my 10 and now I cannot click the button to download anonymously any more. Do I only have that option until I use up my allotment? Also, when does the bandwidth limit reset? Every 24 hours?

thanks!

Thanks for the reply. If what you say is the case, then why is the bandwidth not resetting when the download completes? When I have nothing uploading or downloading, I still show the majority of my bandwidth used up. I show Total Bandwidth 10GB. Required bandwidth 1.16GB for the current file I would like to download, and Remaining bandwidth 1.75GB. Where did the rest go? I have attached a screenshot.

Thanks

BitComet.doc

Hi, it has been about a week since I last posted. The available bandwidth has not gone back to 10 GB. There is something I am missing. If I have no uploads or downloads, I assume I should have 10GB available. If I am downloading something, the available bandwidth should decrease with the size of the file being downloaded. Once the file if finished downloading, the available bandwidth should go back to 10GB, right? If so, why is mine not resetting? I only have about 1.5GB free bandwidth and I am not seeding or downloading anything.

Nope. You have 10 GB. You download files with a total size of 4 GB. Now you have 6 GB left, not 10 again. 10 - 4 = 6 You have used up that 4 GB, and of course you don't get it back any more than you get gasoline back in your tank after a long drive, any more than you get minutes back on your cell phone after talking all day. You've used the bandwidth, the gasoline, the minutes. They're gone.

Strictly speaking, bandwidth refers to a line's capacity or the useable portion of it and in that sense is always measured over time, but we are speaking in another sense, that of data transmitted. You bought 10 GB of data transmission over an anonymous network. That's not 10 GB/sec, it's just 10 GB. You won't receive the data at 10 GB/s or anything like it. You'll receive it at or near the maximum speed of the internet connection you purchased, not via a normal bittorrent download (which is usually a lot slower than your capacity).

You are NOT buying a line that can transmit at a faster speed. If you thought you were, you should probably stop and think about that very carefully. Your download speed is limited by the package you bought from your ISP, and that will not change or increase. Doing so would require running a new telephone line or fiber optic cable out to your home, and you presumably noticed the absence of workmen digging up the lawn? You also hopefully realize that would cost just a heckuva lot more than you're being charged for this? That this simply wasn't going to happen?