To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Missing downloads after upgrading to new version

I upgraded to the newest version of bitcomet. Now all of my downloads have disappeared. I emailed customer support, about 20 times using the same message because they never responded, and still no response. I had hundreds of downloads. Never had this ever happen. The files are all still there, but I have no idea how to make them reappear in bitcomet. Can anyone help me with this?

What actually disappeared is your task list. It's contained in the file "downloads.xml". Check first to see if you have backups of this file. Later versions of BitComet make these automatically. If you do have them, just stop BitComet, delete the existing task file, and rename the latest of the backup files.

If you don't have any backups, you probably still have the torrents in your torrents/ subfolder. Load those into BitComet and do manual hash checks on all of them to assure that BC finds the partial downloads. Then start them and they should carry on.

As you've discovered, there really isn't any support available outside of this forum.

What actually disappeared is your task list. It's contained in the file "downloads.xml". Check first to see if you have backups of this file. Later versions of BitComet make these automatically. If you do have them, just stop BitComet, delete the existing task file, and rename the latest of the backup files.

If you don't have any backups, you probably still have the torrents in your torrents/ subfolder. Load those into BitComet and do manual hash checks on all of them to assure that BC finds the partial downloads. Then start them and they should carry on.

As you've discovered, there really isn't any support available outside of this forum.

I am unable to locate a file in either my downloads directory nor my bitcomet program directory or subdirectories... where would I find the file you're referring to? What would the backups be called??

I'm less concerned about the partial downloads. I'm interested in being able to use the program to be able to view everything already downloaded. Also, I don't know how to reload all of these downloads back into being listed in bitcomet. Can you give me a better explaination of that process? I have hundreds if not thousands of downloaded files i need to get listed back in the list of downloads.

This is a really serious problem for me...

Any chance of you doing a remote support chat with me or remote control session?

Thanks

If you had provided the info in the "READ THIS before posting", then we would know enough about your system to know where it's placed your configuration files. The location of such files isn't determined by bitcomet, nor by you, it's done by windows and varies depending on the version and your user account control settings. You can look in your %appdata% and %virtualstore% folders.

There is also an article that deals with this on wiki.bitcomet.com

http://wiki.bitcomet.com/bitcomet_client_issues_and_possible_solutions#tasks_have_disappeared_deleted_tasks_reappeared_in_my_tasklist_after_a_bitcomet_restart_how_can_i_fix_this

If you had provided the info in the "READ THIS before posting", then we would know enough about your system to know where it's placed your configuration files. The location of such files isn't determined by bitcomet, nor by you, it's done by windows and varies depending on the version and your user account control settings. You can look in your %appdata% and %virtualstore% folders.

There is also an article that deals with this on wiki.bitcomet.com

http://wiki.bitcomet..._can_i_fix_this

1 more question before I go and locate the configuration files... If I had done an upgrade, and in doing so the list of downloaded torrents were lost and nothing was displayed in the new version, wouldn't it mean that the original configuration files were overwritten, and that there is no other backup to be restored from? Or would it have renamed the old configuration files and if so, what would they be called, and where would they be found?

ALSO:

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

64 bit, v.1.32

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

Verizon FIOS

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port?

Motorola Modem, and buffalo wireless router, no idea what forwarded port means

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected.

it is plugged in with a wire, not wireless

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

win 7 64 bit ultimate, windows firewall and router firewall, and microsoft security essentials

6) If you are asking about a specific torrent or file that you have downloaded, make sure that you include the complete torrent name, as well as the complete names of the files and their respective extensions/formats (e.g.: .rar, .wma, .bin, .cue, etc.).

all downloaded torrents have vanished

7) For speed-related issues, please run various speed tests at a site such as speedtest.net (make sure that no other computer is using your Internet connection and that all other programs - including BitComet - are closed, during the tests). Include the results, along with the settings that you are presently using, in your post, so that we may review and offer suggestions to improve its performance.

35 megs/second download, 30 megs/second upload

Thanks

No, that's not necessarily so. If you installed to a different directory (very easy to do with VirtualStore), then your previous configuration would not have been read, but it would still be there. Likewise, your tasks.