To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Passport_login_en_us.mht

After going to Bitcomet 1.32 I began receiving two download requests to load "Passport_login_en_us.mht" - this happens as soon as my laptop boots up. Even when I agree to load this, it keeps coming up every time my computer opens. I tried uninstalling Bitcomet and going back to 1.30 but it still happens. I uninstalled 32 and went to 64 bit and it still happens. I uninstalled and then did a deep uninstall and deleted every mention of Bitcomet in my Windows 7 registry and in every file. There's no Bitcomet or Passport noted in my start up or services yet when I reinstall 1.32, the request to load "Passport_login_en_us.mht" shows up again. Does anyone know how to kill this bothersome "Passport_login_en_us.mht"?

I unchecked the passport auto sign in but the file still came up. Then I unchecked start with Windows automatically and the file did not come up. However, when I click on the Bitcomet icon, to start Bitcomet, the mht file came up. Any other options to stop this mht file from coming up?

You will probably need to closely examine your MS Internet Explorer settings, to get to the bottom of this. BitComet's built-in browser is an ancient version of MSIE, so it does things like this.

I am using Chrome. I just deleted all history and cookies, etc. There is no mention of Passport of Bitcomet anywhere in its settings. I did even try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling IE9 but nothing has had an effect on the reoccurring problem of this file continuing to show when Bitcomet comes up the first time since I stopped it from starting with Windows. I have done a registry search for this "Passport_login_en-us.mht" file without success. When I delete it from the "appdata/roaming/Bitcomet/fav directory it just appears again. There's nothing in my startup file for this either nor does a deep computer search find it anywhere else. Have uninstalled Bitcomet several times and reinstalled different versions (both 32 and 64 bit)but it keeps coming up when Bitcomet starts so I know it's somehow connected to something regarding Bitcomet. I am assuming there is some setting in my laptop's window 7 that is causing Bit comet to react this way but I cannot find it. Do you have any other ideas? This is both challenging and maddening....

part of bitcomet's functions require displaying web content, to do this it needs to use a brower and since all windows versions have basic IE support, this is the only option. It doesn't matter what your default browser is, IE will be used.

Can you take a screenshot of this error please?

If I'm not mistaken, this is data to display your rank and points in bitcomet's cometID pane. Normally this data is obtained silently and displayed. I have no idea why your system is treating this as a file download.

Try removing the "always ask before opening this type of file" check and click "open". If windows asks for an app to open it with, select bitcomet. This should stop windows from interfering with the process... hopefully.

Meanwhile, you should understand that Internet Explorer and it's security model are bound deeply into the guts of WIndows, and that you cannot separate the two completely, This means that going over your Chrome settings is irrelevant, you'll find nothing there. You can never completely eradicate IE or all of the things that use it.

After associating the passport MHT extension to Internet Explorer, I re-selected the IE9 feature in my Windows 7. After IE9 came up I selected Bitcomet and the Passport thing did not come up this time. I found two listings in the tools add-ins/extensions with just numbers. I rebooted IE9 and those two listings came back noting Bitcomet and Shanghai Comet. I disabled both, rebooted IE9 and then selected Bitcomet and the MHT thing was gone. I uninstalled IE9 and tried Bitcomet again and no more MHT, gone forever, I hope.