To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Private Torrents Bug

Hello,

I have noticed with a few private torrents that they only connect to 1 tracker only even if you have multiple trackers(updating trackers list will only update the tracker that connected when the torrent started) and it will only connect to the other trackers if the tracker above failed to connect, if i try to stop the task and start it again it will connect to the tracker below the one that connected the first time i started(1st time it connects to udp://tracker.ccc.de:80/announce then if i stop and start it will connect to udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce). Really weird stuff so you guys check it out it makes it hard to download some private torrents(rare torrents).

Hello,

I have noticed with a few private torrents that they only connect to 1 tracker only even if you have multiple trackers(updating trackers list will only update the tracker that connected when the torrent started) and it will only connect to the other trackers if the tracker above failed to connect, if i try to stop the task and start it again it will connect to the tracker below the one that connected the first time i started(1st time it connects to udp://tracker.ccc.de:80/announce then if i stop and start it will connect to udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce). Really weird stuff so you guys check it out it makes it hard to download some private torrents(rare torrents).

i'll upload the screen later i tried to edit but got an error and can't seem to be able to edit the post again.

i'll upload the screen later i tried to edit but got an error and can't seem to be able to edit the post again.

bitcometm.png

After a few task starts and stops i could see there was no next scheduled refresh for the other trackers just the other that connected, and the other trackers didn't have a log, and i must add if i stop the task the tracker keeps connecting/refreshing some really weird stuff.

Edited by bumchakalaka (see edit history)

This behavior is not a bug, it's intended to work this way. Private torrents should only be made for private trackers which only need one announce URL to work.

Otherwise the uploaded amount stats the client sends to the private tracker would be a sum of the stats meant for each tracker you add, which is considered cheating and you'd get banned on that tracker.

We have notified other client developers about this exploit but they chose to ignore it.

The torrent creator and initial seeder probably doesn't even know it's leaked on a public index site. It's the tracker's users that seek to benefit from this.They add public tracker announces to it, probably remove the private tracker's announce to cover their tracks and upload it on a public torrent index site...

If you see a new private torrent on a public site that has a private tracker announce with a passkey in it you could let the admins of that tracker know. The simplicity of this exploit makes it a serious problem.

Release notes from version 1.26

Core Improve: connect to one only tracker at a time when downloading private torrent, and clear all peers when switching tracker

As far as I know BitComet is the only client that has patched this possible exploit.