To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

serious issues with downloading...

babyjai

ok i have used other software, after I gave up on Bitcomet a while ago, everything worked great. I saw you guys offering this service so i decided to pick it up. Worked PHENOMINAL last night, now im at 0 download and its annoying. I have most of 2 things downloaded at 99.7 and 99.9 and I cant seem to get the rest of it. Its quite annoying to be honest with you. I purchased the 100GB download VIP and tbh i feel jipped. It wont even DOWNLOAD period. I mean nothing.

Let me add this, when i check off Enable Annoymous Download, it works better. why is this?

Edited by babyjai (see edit history)

Anonymous download will prevent any direct connections with bittorrent peers or trackers. Normally this will slow down the speed for many users as traditional vip is designed to use all methods available to download, not only the vip server, but you get better performance this way then it might indicate that you have a problem handling a large number of connections. Bittorrent connections can often be numbered in the 100s for a single task, but with anonymous download enabled you're limited to only the vip server and a few LTseed connections (if enabled). I've also seen cases where torrents were unable to finish using anonymous download only, this is complicated, but with anonymous you're downloading file by file, but with bittorrent you're downloading piece by piece, so in order for the task to reach 100%, the complete files need to be converted into bittorrent pieces and if even one of them is incomplete, the task won't reach 100%. In most cases you'll still have 100% of the files so you may be able to use them even if it's not reading 100%. You can also try stopping the task and doing a manual hash check, then try continuing it, if it still doesn't complete, try turning off anonymous, or after 24hrs you should be able to disable vip and try completing it with traditional bittorrent only.

You may want to try the new bitcomet beta version released yesturday, it has some imporant changes to vip and we're hopeful it will help with another problem we've been having where tasks stall in the preparing stage, on this new version the tasks will enter a queued stage and won't enter preparing until the server is ready for them (not busy), and if a task takes to long to enter the preparing stage, it can be cancelled without waiting 24hrs.

Lastly, we are aware of problems with vip and our development team is working on it, but it's been a painful growth process, but no one want's to "jip" anyone out of their hard earned money and if you find the service isn't working for you, you're free to request a refund from paypal, but please keep in mind that this service is in beta testing and the fees charged are only to pay the costs of maintaining the servers needed to provide this service. We all want this service to succeed so hopefully the latest updates will help improve the quality of the service and we all thank the development team for pressing on despite some major obstacles, and thanks for the patience of members who have been understanding that freeware development takes time.

Bitcomet itself is a truly fantastic piece of software -- probably the most sophisticated torrent app available for the PC.

VIP Acceleration doesn't work and you'd be best to ignore it altogether. Why the developers are still taking money for it is way beyond me -- it cannot be enough to pay for the destruction of Bitcomet's reputation. My PayPal refund was never issued, but some people seem to have received theirs.

I haven't looked at the new beta Bitcomet yet so it is possible that there are improvements to VIP, but given what's happened so far no one should be buying it until there's some real indication that it will work.

Because, as the original post in this thread plainly shows, it works sometimes. Then somebody like you comes along and says, "it doesn't work" in the same thread, pretty much destroying your own credibility. It worked for them. How come you can't get it to work for you? If it worked for them, that's "real indication that it will work", Sure sounds like the problem's on your end, doesn't it?

Does it work well enough? I don't think so. Just about all of the support staff doesn't think so. We've made our opinions abundantly clear to all -- including that we don't think most people should try it, and that if they do anyway, they should think of it as a donation to the development.

How many times do we have to say that?

Since you have nothing to add, nothing to move the discussion forward, this topic is closed.