To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Listening port blocked after changing to a VPN connection

Hello everyone,

First I'll give some essential information about my setup:

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

Bitcomet 64bit v1.32

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

Fibre Optic hard line (very fast - I live in Japan)

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port?

Modem: yes (provided by my ISP - NTT) and set to "Bridge"

Router: yes (Asus RT-AC66U Dual Band)

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem.

Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected.

I have 2 PCs connected to the router, each with their own static IP setup PC1: 192.168.1.20 and PC2: 192.168.1.21 on DHCP in the router with port 65432 properly forwarded in the router to PC2: 192.168.1.21

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Firewall: no software firewall but my router acts as one

Antivirus: Eset Nod32 Anitvirus 5

6) Other important info:

Recently purchased a VPN from hidemytorrent.com

I've been using Bitcomet for about 5 years now and really like it. Up to now I've always used my standard ISP connection with the listening port properly port forwarded and have never had any issues. Recently, I've been concerned about internet privacy so I thought I would try a VPN service. I registered with hidemytorrent.com, setup the VPN and am able to browse the internet without any issues. I've checked my IP address and have confirmed that I am getting a new IP address which is coming out of the Netherlands (I live in Japan).

When I use my regular connection there are no problems. The listening port is not blocked and I get the green ballon. However when I connect through the VPN my listening port is blocked and I get a yellow ballon.

I have tried several different things but have had no success. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do with the settings of either bitcomet or my router to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance...

post-121249-0-55225000-1362113706.jpg

post-121249-0-30721900-1362113718.jpg

have you tried connecting your vpn after bitcomet has made a connection? or you can try this vpn out it works for free Foxyvpn.com its a trial so you can only connect to 1 ip all the time!

Hi Butterz,

I tried your first idea of coneccting to the vpn after bitcomet made a connection but it didn't work. And I'm not sure what use the http://www.canyouseeme.org test is as I have to enter a port number to check if it is open or not. I have no idea what port they are giving me so it would be an endless game of trial and error.

The port used is in your bitcomet settings.

The reason why your port is block using vpn is you're connecting through another computer, in this case in the netherlands. When a peer tries to connect to you, they connect to the IP you report to the tracker, but that computer isn't forwarding the connections to you. You need to have your vpn connection assign you a dedicated port that will direct all traffic to you. If they are willing to do this, either ask for the port bitcomet uses, or if that's not available, get a similar one and change the settings in bitcomet to match.

If they aren't willing to give you a dedicated port, then you'll never be able to get incoming connections and you should look for a different vpn service.

The port used is in your bitcomet settings.

The reason why your port is block using vpn is you're connecting through another computer, in this case in the netherlands. When a peer tries to connect to you, they connect to the IP you report to the tracker, but that computer isn't forwarding the connections to you. You need to have your vpn connection assign you a dedicated port that will direct all traffic to you. If they are willing to do this, either ask for the port bitcomet uses, or if that's not available, get a similar one and change the settings in bitcomet to match.

If they aren't willing to give you a dedicated port, then you'll never be able to get incoming connections and you should look for a different vpn service.

Thank you Unusual Suspect. I thought this was the case but wasn't sure. I guess using a VPN is out of the question....

When a remote peer attempts to connect to you, the connection will be address to the ip address you submit to the tracker and the port number used by bitcomet. When it gets to the computer that's selling you the vpn service, it's not going to know where to direct that connection to since they probably have many users on the same IP address. If they are willing to give you a dedicated port, then it will work, otherwise you're not going to be able to receive inbound connection attempts and your speeds will suffer.

If they won't help you, you may find another that will, so I wouldn't give up just yet.

Do Not Sign up for BTGuard dude they block all incoming connections so you will be unable to upload or seed I did some VPN findings and the best one that I see is foxyvpn they do not block any ports and the ip's go over proxy's you can try the free demo version to see if it will work for your torrents im using it right now. also btguards support sucks sometimes they don't even help you I got my money back from them because of fake advertising. foxy's support team is very good in fast replies to your questions and they get answered by a person not a bot!!!! before you signup with a vpn ask question first then sign the deal btguard will bs u all the way trust me!!! I have support tickets with them and I had to wait at least almost a week for replys. I hope this comment to your topic was helpful

Do Not Sign up for BTGuard dude they block all incoming connections so you will be unable to upload or seed I did some VPN findings and the best one that I see is foxyvpn they do not block any ports and the ip's go over proxy's you can try the free demo version to see if it will work for your torrents im using it right now. also btguards support sucks sometimes they don't even help you I got my money back from them because of fake advertising. foxy's support team is very good in fast replies to your questions and they get answered by a person not a bot!!!! before you signup with a vpn ask question first then sign the deal btguard will bs u all the way trust me!!! I have support tickets with them and I had to wait at least almost a week for replys. I hope this comment to your topic was helpful

Hi Butterz,

Thank you for your message and warning about BT Guard. Would you mind explaining what you meant by "I got my money back from them because of fake advertising." What happened?

Well BT stands for BitTorrent Guard that's where its fake advert and I messaged them before I signed up and asked if I was able to upload on p2p they said yes! Also every time I reopened BitComet I had to fight with it to give me a green light oh and search the open port and my download speeds dropped big time and I wasn't connecting in another country. right now im searching for VPN's I think I may have found a good one but im not sure yet you can have a look at there services http://www.vpnsecure.me/compare/ they say they don't keep logs they only keep a log of your connection time and after 24h its deleted and its says in that link that it works with p2p im waiting till the live chat is open so I can speak with them. what VPN do/did you have? I only look at vpns that only ask for a user name and password then only credit info with no loggers stay away from loggers they will bite you in the butt!! (im still using FoxyVPN Free Demo)

I was using hidemytorrent.com but they wouldn't open a port for me so I couldn't get a green light in Bitcomet and so I cancelled my subscription and switched to BTGuard. It seems to be hiding my IP according to http://checkmytorrentip.com/. However, because they seem to block incoming connections, I have very slow speeds. What is interesting is that BT Guard says this about incoming connections: "Incoming connections directly to you are not anonymous. Please ignore any errors regarding incoming connections, you don't want them!" Is it true that incoming connections are not anonymous? I wonder...

In the end, whatever solution we come up with needs to be compatible with bitcomet (allowing incoming connections) and also be compatible with p2p software (specifically SoulSeek in my case) for both uploads and downloads. SoulSeek does not provide native support for proxies so that is an issue that requires consideration. I'm using Proxifier with SoulSeek at the moment, but I don't think that it is hiding the incoming connections ie. uploads to other users. I'm very new to the whole proxy/VPN world so I don't really know what I need to solve my Bitcomet/SoulSeek privacy issues. Whatever the solution is, I want it to be airtight. Any help you can provide Butterz will be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by miyakojimadan (see edit history)

Dude I just spoke with FoxyVPN on the phone yes I got a live body!!!! :) and I have been trying there demo for a few days now and not once has it been messy with bitcomet. FoxyVPN does not block any ports (all ports open) so this lets bitcomet see others and others see you with a fake ip B) and they keep NO LOGS of your connection times like I mean they don't keep anything they don't even know who you are you just pay them that's it!! ;) its a little bit pricey but u get what you pay for that's for sure!! BTW when you torrent you want others to see you that's the only way for speed ;) Link to Foxy Click Here also if you want the best speeds you need to connect to a server that is closest to you!! it wont matter who see that fake ip if they search it, it will show them some other place where ever the ip server is. my number 1 rule is never go with companies that keep logs of there customers!!!

Here is another vpn this is what we both need!! http://safe-inet.com/en/price?drgn=1 they sell a Open VPN (dedicated IP) & PPTP VPN (dedicated IP) 0 logging :wub: its pricey $20 a month but they really do have a live chat I think this is the best choice for a vpn

Edited by Butterz (see edit history)

here is another good place it is cheaper the only down side is that they keep only a connection log but it gets deleted after 24 hours and will only create a new log when you reconnect! link http://www.vpnsecure.me (they block incoming but will do port forwarding for you only with a dedicated ip (Static not shared) )

Edited by Butterz (see edit history)

here is another good place it is cheaper the only down side is that they keep only a connection log but it gets deleted after 24 hours and will only create a new log when you reconnect! link http://www.vpnsecure.me (they block incoming but will do port forwarding for you only with a dedicated ip (Static not shared) )

Thanks Butterz,

Actually I signed up with http://www.vpnsecure.me yesterday. Great live chat support and they answered all my questions in a professional manner. I have to decide where I want to put my dedicated IP (ie. server location) They suggested the Netherlands but I'm worried about connection speeds. The only issue is that once you decide on server location it can't be changed they said. Besides this one issue I think they are the best choice. I'll post a follow up after I have it all setup and running.

Thanks again!!!

awesome im glad I could help you find one let me no how you like the service!! im most likely going to sign with them too but its abit harder for me since im looking for a multi account so I can have a max of 3 pc on at once with different ips.!.!

Update:

Well, things seem to be going well with vpnsecureme. Speeds seem to be a bit slower than I was used to before but that may be torrent specific. I'm doing more tests to prove whether it's the torrent or the connection that has caused the reduction in speed. May have to accept slower speeds for higher security.

awesome thanks for the update. When I was talking to them they said to go to a share ip and do a speed test on the servers and then pick the 1 you would like to have dedicated I am going to sign up for the service since it a cheap price and they offer more then 1 server for dedicated but the as you saw the price increases but you can have all the pc's on all at the same time!!! since they will have there own ip to the dedicated line. down side you cannot switch out the dedicated server till your payment term is done. when you do your speed test use www.speedtest.net or if they have a speed test use that. its sucks that they don't have a server in Spain since you can download and upload so long as you don't profit from it!!! I will be bring this to there attention!! may I ask you where you are connecting too.

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up with vpnsecureme I did lots of speed test before I picked my dedicated ip server took them about 10 mins to setup the 2 ips. so far bitcomet is liking this vpn I have know problems with the listening ports!! and I haven't had a single disconnect. the prices are fair for the level of support you get! B)

*banner removed to conform with forum rules* ~staff~

Edited by The UnUsual Suspect (see edit history)